The Student Room Group

Anxiety and/or panic and starting new sixth form.

Hi. For the last few months of High School, I experienced what, I think, were quite severe panic attacks. Both in classes, and around people outside of classes. But, mainly, in exams. Exams were terrible and terrified me. There was a panic attack every single exam. Since the beginning of May. I'm starting college next week and I am so terrified I don't know if I can deal with going through more panic attacks. Especially now I've lost the support of my teacher in school who was incredibly supportive of me and helped me through them every time. Please, if anyone has any advice on how to get through college, and how to help stop or lessen the panic attacks, or at least get through one when it happens, I'd be forever grateful. Thank you so much.
Original post by dancer2209
Hi. For the last few months of High School, I experienced what, I think, were quite severe panic attacks. Both in classes, and around people outside of classes. But, mainly, in exams. Exams were terrible and terrified me. There was a panic attack every single exam. Since the beginning of May. I'm starting college next week and I am so terrified I don't know if I can deal with going through more panic attacks. Especially now I've lost the support of my teacher in school who was incredibly supportive of me and helped me through them every time. Please, if anyone has any advice on how to get through college, and how to help stop or lessen the panic attacks, or at least get through one when it happens, I'd be forever grateful. Thank you so much.

Have you spoken to your GP about these panic attacks? They are the best people to help you with these, they can signpost you to different sources of help - including medication, counselling or therapy. Also the general support of a GP can be reassuring.

In college, maybe see if there is a counselling service? It could be really useful, counselling can help with anxiety. If you get really anxious around exams, maybe talk to your colleges student support to see if you can maybe get alternative exam arrangements, like being in a separate room, extra time or rest breaks.

For your panic attacks and anxiety maybe look up some relaxation methods? This one is quite useful. I don't have panic attacks much, but what helps me with my anxiety is taking deep breaths, trying the relaxation techniques I have learnt in therapy (the one I linked is the one I like best), and just taking some time out away from the situation to calm down.

You can get past this, I really would advise seeing your GP though, they should be able to help.
Reply 2

Hi,
Have you been diagnosed with panic disorder? In my experience, getting a proper diagnosis makes it a lot easier to ask for and receive help. Before, I kept being told to just 'pull myself together' and 'get a grip' which isn't always as easy or simple as it might seem to someone else!
In terms of therapy, you might have to try a few things before working out what's best- professional therapy is probably a good idea but if you're going on the NHS they might make you wait a while (I was told that the waiting list for CBT in my area was 18 months... :erm:).
If they do make you wait, you could try meditating (I use ones from the Mindfulness programme http://mbct.co.uk/cd-set/ which I find really help when I get panicky).
It also might make you feel better if you make sure your new 6th form is aware of the panic attacks and you talk it through with someone there before you arrive.
xo
Reply 3
Thank you both so much for replying! I have been to a GP for various other things before, and been to councilling more than once and due to a few bad experiences, the doctors seems quite a daunting place for me to go, but I think I'm going to have to give it a go. As for college, I have an enrolment interview on Thursday, so I hope I get the chance to talk about it with someone. I'll also find out about a counciller there. Do you think that maybe, when I talk to someone about it at college, it will prevent me from getting my place there? Or do you think they'll be supportive of me?
Reply 4
Do you think that maybe, when I talk to someone about it at college, it will prevent me from getting my place there? Or do you think they'll be supportive of me?

No, it really shouldn't prevent you getting your place. I think that would only be plausible if someone's mental health compromised the safety of other pupils in the college's care. If you've got your grades and can deal with the work pace (even if you need a little extra support sometimes) then you should have nothing to worry about :smile: Often all the support is there, but you have to ask in order to get it!
Good luck!
xo
Massage, shiatsu, and other types of body-work are consistently used to reduce muscle stress, reduce stress, and improve rest.

Quick Reply

Latest