The Student Room Group

ACDE... Applying for AAA?

Right just got my AS results back in addition to a A2 result and I greatly underachieved deserving so through lack of hard work.

I got:
History AS: A (90%)
Maths AS: D
Chemistry AS: E
Governing and Politics A2: C

I want to apply to Warwick, for History V100 and obviously its an AAA.
Will I still get an offer if my predicted grades are A*AA or AAA? Is there a way to indicate that I will be retaking these courses?

I am obviously continuing with history, hoping to get an A*, and will retake maths and chemistry to get the A's.

Should I retake Government and Politics AS and A2 now that I'm already pretty familiar with the course?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bheyev
Right just got my AS results back in addition to a A2 result and I greatly underachieved deserving so through lack of hard work.

I got:
History AS: A (90%)
Maths AS: D
Chemistry AS: E
Governing and Politics A2: C

I want to apply to Warwick, for History V100 and obviously its an AAA.
Will I still get an offer if my predicted grades are A*AA or AAA? Is there a way to indicate that I will be retaking these courses?

I am obviously continuing with history, hoping to get an A*, and will retake maths and chemistry to get the A's.

Should I retake Government and Politics AS and A2 now that I'm already pretty familiar with the course?

Thank you!

Retakes are entered as pending on your Ucas form. Tbh, a prediction of A for chemistry and maths from a starting point of E and D does not look very plausible. Your teachers would have to justify why they believe such an improvement is possible in your reference and you said yourself that it was a lack of hard work. That's not easy to explain away. You may end up having to reapply after your A2s, which is not a bad thing, if you do manage to bring up those grades with resits.
You won't get offers.
Reply 3
Hey guys I want to apply to do medicine (need AAA). I got abcc at as level. I can't apply right?
Reply 4
Original post by marcus2001
You won't get offers.

As blunt as that was I think he's right. The answer is no. You have two choices... Put it off for a year or limit your options for places that are likely to take you.

Original post by HamzahK21
Hey guys I want to apply to do medicine (need AAA). I got abcc at as level. I can't apply right?

You might be okay... Its one of those things that could go either way
(edited 11 years ago)
I applied to Warwick with AABC for history

History 190/200 `A
Law B
Maths C
Business studies. A

got rejected. So odds are you wont get an offer... sorry

Why am i getting negged? he asked a question and I gave him a first hand account of the kind of standards they accept. If he wants to apply then do it..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
That's annoying, since I have an A in a module from both maths and chemistry. I just flunked the second modules thinking I was invincible!..
I know that GCSE's don't mean anything, but I did get 12 A*s-A's, so I'm academically very capable.

So if I have to apply after my A2's and resits considering I won't receive any offers pre-resits, that means I will have a year of doing nothing?
What should I do for this non-optional gap year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I think these guys are being a bit harsh. You get to apply for 5 Unis so you could apply for ones that only require ABC, or BBB, as well as Warwick to give yourself a good chance of getting an offer. Every year Unis offer more places than they can cope with, so there is a good chance you could get an offer if you perform well at interview. At the end of the day there is no harm in applying this year for the place you want to go, you may well get an offer and may well get the grades, and if not, you can retake and apply the following year.
Reply 8
Original post by Hazza616
I think these guys are being a bit harsh. You get to apply for 5 Unis so you could apply for ones that only require ABC, or BBB, as well as Warwick to give yourself a good chance of getting an offer. Every year Unis offer more places than they can cope with, so there is a good chance you could get an offer if you perform well at interview. At the end of the day there is no harm in applying this year for the place you want to go, you may well get an offer and may well get the grades, and if not, you can retake and apply the following year.

We're not being harsh we're being realistic. If they don't think you can make the offer they wont even give you an interview. They are going to play the odds and figure that ACDE, although it could, isn't going to turn into AAA. You don't want five rejections... I'd recommend you set your self and upper limit of ABB only pick one of those and then spread out a little more.
Retake the AS exams and reapply when you have your A2 grades. History is a hugely competitive degree course, when my friend applied three years ago with BBCD, he was rejected from both Nottingham and York with these grades which are universities ranked below Warwick.
Reply 10
Appreciate this feedback!

Looks unlikely that I will be getting serious consideration or offers from the Universities I am looking at. And I am not going to apply for anything less than a ABB Uni, I can achieve better than that.

I think it might be a good idea to apply this year anyway... might get the 1 in 500,000 lucky chance to get accepted somehow... and it doesn't hurt. And then reapply after A2?
Reply 11
You need to resit really :frown:
Reply 12
I'd definitely resit Politics if I were you, especially if you weren't far off a higher grade. You probably won't get offers for AAA with those AS grades, but if you apply to lower tier unis to be safe, work really hard for those As and then after results day, ring around, you could easily still get into one of those universities through clearing.
Original post by bheyev
Appreciate this feedback!

Looks unlikely that I will be getting serious consideration or offers from the Universities I am looking at. And I am not going to apply for anything less than a ABB Uni, I can achieve better than that.

I think it might be a good idea to apply this year anyway... might get the 1 in 500,000 lucky chance to get accepted somehow... and it doesn't hurt. And then reapply after A2?

There is the chance, but then you don't want to think that you are going to university and then go through the heartbreak of not making it and grabbing whatever you can in clearing. In your position I would apply to the universities I wanted to go to but wouldn't really expect anything. You are definitely making the right decision regarding your university choice however, if you know that you are capable of going to a good university you should aim for that rather than going to some third/fourth-rate one for the sake of going to university.
Reply 14
So it is possible to get into a competitive course and university through clearing?.. could I go into clearing without actually applying for offers before hand because I don't like the idea of having to take a firm to a university I may not actually like?
Reply 15
Original post by bheyev
So it is possible to get into a competitive course and university through clearing?.. could I go into clearing without actually applying for offers before hand because I don't like the idea of having to take a firm to a university I may not actually like?

How lucky do you feel? The idea of the clearing system is to help people that haven't met their offer but yes it can be used in that way but if you dont get a place then you're stuffed for that cycle. Plus most of the competitive unis will not even enter clearing...
Reply 16
Original post by bheyev

Yes it's possible but these places go quickly and you have to meet the requirements. It's more risky. I dont understand the rush. If you don't want to go to a Uni lower than your expectation then take a gap year? That way of you get the grades you need kudos to you, you're in next year and if not you can resist without your confidence being knocked when you're rejected.

There's no point applying, especially to Unis you don't intend on going to. It's wasting people's time.
If these courses/unis are "competitive, it is highly unlikely they would be in clearing.
Reply 18
I think you've convinced me guys! Thank you...

Just need to reevaluate the next few years of my life and think of what to do with my gap year then... I actually want to spend the time doing something progressive and useful!
Reply 19
I actually need some advice too i got ACD in my as including ict, maths and finance, i want to do maths with economics and i was wondering if i could get an offer from Aston???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending