The Student Room Group

ACDE... Applying for AAA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HamzahK21
Hey guys I want to apply to do medicine (need AAA). I got abcc at as level. I can't apply right?

I would say NO, unless you go to a extremely under performing school
Reply 21
I'm guessing your situation is going to be similar to mine!
I have a similar situation. abce and I want to look at A*AA.

The a is in maths, and I'm going to be doing Further in one year. The c is in physics and I want to pull that up to an A. For get the b and e.

Everyone in my thread says I'm not gonna get any offers, some have even swore at me! But most just dislike my first post... Why? I'm just aspiring to be better.
Reply 23
Original post by AverageExcellence
I applied to Warwick with AABC for history

History 190/200 `A
Law B
Maths C
Business studies. A

got rejected. So odds are you wont get an offer... sorry

As a historian, you should know that a sample size of one does not a reliable basis for inference make.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Natt39
We're not being harsh we're being realistic. If they don't think you can make the offer they wont even give you an interview. They are going to play the odds and figure that ACDE, although it could, isn't going to turn into AAA. You don't want five rejections... I'd recommend you set your self and upper limit of ABB only pick one of those and then spread out a little more.

Perhaps I didn't explain my point very well. I'm saying that there is no point in not applying this year, just because the chances of getting in are low. You don't lose anything by applying, and if you think you can get the grades, then why not give it a shot?
Reply 25
Original post by abz007
I actually need some advice too i got ACD in my as including ict, maths and finance, i want to do maths with economics and i was wondering if i could get an offer from Aston???

AAB-ABB?... Its posible I suppose. Especially if they offer at the lower end of that but you're going to want a back up

Original post by Hazza616
Perhaps I didn't explain my point very well. I'm saying that there is no point in not applying this year, just because the chances of getting in are low. You don't lose anything by applying, and if you think you can get the grades, then why not give it a shot?

Applying to AAA universities with that grade set is a waste of 20 quid. I'm not saying that he can't get in. Of course he can there are plenty of good Uni's offering at ABB but AAA is going to waste a perfectly good slot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Natt39
AAB-ABB?... Its posible I suppose. Especially if they offer at the lower end of that but you're going to want a back up

What sort of a back up and how competitive is that course???
Reply 27
Original post by abz007

What sort of a back up and how competitive is that course???

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea. Math isn't my thing but I'd look at lower than ABB obviously. You need to find another uni that you'd be happy taking as your first choice if they say no.
Original post by Bax-man
As a historian, you should know that a sample size of one does not a reliable basis for inference make.

No but it gives you a rough idea of what standards they accept and to quote what they said to me as a reason why they denied me is that they are committed to accepting students 'who show a consistent level of academic excellency' which isnt what OP has shown.

If you feel you have what it takes go for it, but im just giving you a 'primary interpretation' which is a valuable source
Reply 29
Sorry man, you would have to lower expectations. Warwick is a hard place to enter. Competition is extreme
Reply 30
Thank you everyone... Seems like 2 months of placing social life and procrastination above studying have ruined my university plans!

But to no avail... I will apply at the end of year 13, with evidence of my academic success! Just need to figure out what to do with the gap year!
Reply 31
If you are considering a gap year then there is no reason why you can't try applying his year, no harm done
Reply 32
To be fair, anything is possible. How are your module scores? If some are A's or B's, this could indicate to the admissions tutors that perhaps you were having an off day with one exam.

Don't be put off applying anyway, you get 5 choices and if you have a strong personal statement, references, good predicted grades and indicate on your UCAS form that you're resitting some exams, they could very well give you an offer. People make out like admissions tutors are soulless individuals but they do understand sometimes; it's just the competition is tough and obviously they give offers to the strongest applicants but they aren't necessarily the ones with the top grades; albeit it helps greatly.
Never gonna get an offer, let's be honest
Redo the year!!!
Original post by JazzJake
To be fair, anything is possible. How are your module scores? If some are A's or B's, this could indicate to the admissions tutors that perhaps you were having an off day with one exam.

Don't be put off applying anyway, you get 5 choices and if you have a strong personal statement, references, good predicted grades and indicate on your UCAS form that you're resitting some exams, they could very well give you an offer. People make out like admissions tutors are soulless individuals but they do understand sometimes; it's just the competition is tough and obviously they give offers to the strongest applicants but they aren't necessarily the ones with the top grades; albeit it helps greatly.

The problem is that with history, the best candidates are the ones with the strongest grades. You don't need work experience to get on the course, like in medicine, so can't stand out there and OP is not going to be predicted anywhere near AAA with their AS grades so why would an AAA university give him an offer when his school doesn't even think he will make it? Warwick are in a position where they can assume they are probably the first choice for a lot of people so they won't be giving out as many offers as other universities. Basically I completely reject your argument that the strongest applicants aren't necessarily the ones with the strongest grades, with regard to history that is complete tripe.
If i got an A* for every person on here who put their bad grades to 'not trying' then id be your typical 200 A* TSR poster
Reply 37
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
The problem is that with history, the best candidates are the ones with the strongest grades. You don't need work experience to get on the course, like in medicine, so can't stand out there and OP is not going to be predicted anywhere near AAA with their AS grades so why would an AAA university give him an offer when his school doesn't even think he will make it? Warwick are in a position where they can assume they are probably the first choice for a lot of people so they won't be giving out as many offers as other universities. Basically I completely reject your argument that the strongest applicants aren't necessarily the ones with the strongest grades, with regard to history that is complete tripe.

Tripe is such an awesome word haha. You're much more well informed than me anyway, I didn't take History as an A-level or apply to uni for it, thus my arguement was probably too general but I never intended it as an arguement anyway. More so a, 'what have you got to lose?' The OP gets 5 uni choices so why not put Warrick as a choice, he'll have four left and yes obviously the OP won't be the strongest applicant in terms of grades; which is all but vital for a History application...but I'm forever cursed with deluded optimism :') Maybe something could come of it, maybe not (Probably not) but it's only one Uni choice I'd say if you really wanted to go there just put it down :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HamzahK21
Hey guys I want to apply to do medicine (need AAA). I got abcc at as level. I can't apply right?

what were your grades in? yes you can my neighbour got in with BBCC at AS :biggrin: but AAA and did a tonne of retakes and worked darn hard!
Reply 39
If you apply this year and end up with AAA in August, you could always try adjustment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending