The Student Room Group

Environmental Sciences - Good for somebody who is indecisive?

Hi all.

I'm currently studying Maths, Biology, Geography and Music at A-level. Realistically I could get AABB - ABBB next year I think after the AS results (with an A in Biology).

I'm a bit of a indecisive person I'm science-minded but am also artistic and on all the sort of brain tests you do online I always seem to average out on using both sides of my brain/personality equally. Part of me says that I should get a degree that will lead to a well paying job so I can indulge in my interests later in life, whilst another argues it doesn't matter so much as long as I enjoy it and have a good experience.

Environmental studies seems to (from the little I've looked up so far) cover parts of biology and geography. Is this right? Biology is the subject I usually understand easily and mostly enjoy - it's also the one I'm doing the best/most consistently in. Geography is the subject I was previously thinking of doing a degree in as it covers a broad range of topics and leaves me options at the end in terms of careers/futher degrees.

I'd like a degree that covers lots of areas and I can tailor to my interests - part of the reason I like the look of the Manchester and Reading geography and Environmental science courses is the optional modules.

Also, is the course competitive to get on to? What sort of work experience/volunteering do universities like?

So basically, does anybody who is going to take, does take, or has taken this subject have any advice for me? Or am I looking at this in completely the wrong way?

Thanks very much!!
LittleRit
(edited 11 years ago)
-quietly pokes up board-
Looking at your subjects, an Environmental Science degree would combine your interests well. It is very practical - lots of trip opportunities!
Have you got prospectuses? Re volunteering, there are many environmental groups you could join eg litter picking, conservation etc. Remember that interest in your subject is key!
Ok, thank you very much!!

I like natural hazards/disasters, food issues, genetics, evolution/inheritence etc if that helps at all. :smile:
-pokes- sorry to spam, but a variety of opinions/answers would be fantastic. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by LittleRit
-pokes- sorry to spam, but a variety of opinions/answers would be fantastic. :smile:

Sorry I'm reading your post on my phone and I gave you negative reputation by mistake. :smile: Apart from this, I can't help you much as I don't know a lot about your subject areas (I did English Lit, languages and History etc). It seems that you definitely want to do something that covers Biology and Geography so in that sense you could look into a joint honours degree containing both as well. You seem to, however, quite like the idea of a broad (and a new) topic such as Environmental Studies. I guess maybe you should read more into what degrees in these subjects cover?

Good luck! :biggrin:
Thank you!

I'm reading more into the modules covered at places like Manchester and Reading. :smile:

I do enjoy learning about lots of different things/broader subjects. :smile:

My AS results as it stands are A for biology, B for Music (remark for unexpected D coursework in progress, other units all As), B for maths (resitting core 2 to hopefully get the A) and B for Geography (resitting geographical skills to boost my chances of reaching predicted A at A2).
hi i had the same problem when i looked at degrees, i did look into environmental science, i found it to be a little too biology orientated but i wanted more physics and chemistry (i did those maths and biology to A2.)
But overall it does depends on the uni and what the course offers, because of this natural science is often a better route (as it means you are not referring to different course at different unis in your application instead of just natsci) if you just to study but job wise it can lead to fewer options as it can allow too much choice and lack of direction or with some employers it can lead to some confusion and it does not say exactly what you studied.
OK, thanks.

I'm not sure natural science is for me, due to the greater physics/chemistry (which I am perfectly capable of doing with some work, I just don't enjoy it so much).

Does anybody actually take the course currently or has anybody graduated and could give me some tips or a short 101 on what to expect? :smile:
Hi there! I'm studying Environmental Science, but at Northampton, so I can't really tell you what to expect as it varies from uni to uni. But I can give you a brief idea :smile:
The course is very much based on Geography and Biology, with minor elements of Chemistry (very minor). The modules I did at first year were Air and Water (looking at air and water, pretty self explanatory :tongue:), Wastes as an Environmental Issue, Ecology, Biodiversity, Fundamentals of Environmental Science and Physical Geography. All the modules are a mixture of coursework and exams and there are lots of practicals and field trips (always fun!). It's also quite open and if there is an area that you particularly like, you can choose to go into it e.g. Ecology. Or you can do a bit of everything, it's completely up to you. It's a good course for the indecisive, like me :tongue:
Someone suggested Natural Science, which was actually my original course choice before I decided on Environmental Science. It is also a very open course and you can choose which of the sciences you want to do, it's not necessarily just physics and chemistry (although it does vary from uni to uni). But definitely have a look at different unis and the course content so you can decide which the best best for you :smile:
Brilliant! Thank you so much :biggrin:

Was it competitive to get onto? How much and what kind of work experience did you have?
Original post by LittleRit
Brilliant! Thank you so much :biggrin:

Was it competitive to get onto? How much and what kind of work experience did you have?

I think Environmental Science is one of the more relaxed sciences :tongue:
No, it's not very competitive but again, I suppose it depends on the uni. Work experience isn't essential, I didn't have any, but as long as you have a geniune interest in the subject then you'll be fine :smile: although it does look good. But if you are interested in doing something extra to make you stand out you could do things like volunteering at a nature reserve (what I did this summer) and even litter picking (not the most desirable of roles but still helpful).
Ok fab! Thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending