The Student Room Group

Renault Clio 2002 Radio issues HELP!

My radio does not turn on when I start the car. It only comes on when I press the on/off button but after 20 minutes it will beep and turn off. Anyone know how to fix it so the radio automatically comes on when the car does??
Reply 1
sounds like an electrical issue - ie it's not getting power directly when driving but is connected to the battery, hence the 20mins sleep to "save" the battery from dying.

If you can take it out see if the plugs are connected properly else you'll have to take it to someone who knows about car electrics in more detail.
Reply 2
Sounds like the issue I always have, which is why I always fit my own now. However your live and ignition live in the radio plug may be the wrong way around

Sent from my HTC
Reply 3
I wouldn't say the perm live and the ign live were swapped around - if that were so the the perm live would be wire into the ignition and the radio would come on and off with the ignition and forget all it's settings when you turn the engine off. It sounds like the perm live is wired into the battery, without the ign live being wired into the ignition. This is all well and good, unless you have a 'dumb' radio that cuts out after a set period of time without ignition live, rather than 'smart' radios that actually monitor the voltage of the live coming into the radio.

Get some radio keys for your particular head unit model and pull the unit out. Yellow is the perm live and that should be hooked up properly, i'm guessing that either the red cable (ign live) isn't hooked up properly, or isn't there at all. If it's not there at all have a dig around behind the dash to see if it's simply fallen off and you can find it. If not then you'll need somebody handy with some tools to pull the bottom of the dash off and run a cable between the pos1 terminal of the ignition and the back of the radio.
Reply 4
Original post by Nuffles
Get some radio keys for your particular head unit model and pull the unit out. Yellow is the perm live and that should be hooked up properly, i'm guessing that either the red cable (ign live) isn't hooked up properly, or isn't there at all. If it's not there at all have a dig around behind the dash to see if it's simply fallen off and you can find it. If not then you'll need somebody handy with some tools to pull the bottom of the dash off and run a cable between the pos1 terminal of the ignition and the back of the radio.

I've come across a couple of radios where there's an additional adaptor loom (from ISO to a proprietary connection on the head unit) which have bullet plugs on the ign live and perm live so they can be switched if necessary - worth checking it has actually been plugged in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending