The Student Room Group

Adult dependant grant/SSG/PLA

My DH works part time and will be looking after our children (x 3) when I am at uni, one is 10 months and the other two are at school. He is also enrolling on a 60 credit OU course.

Can I apply for the adult dependant grant? Would we be entitled to a special support grant? Student support have said that we are not entitled to the PLA but I don't understand why as I think our income is low enough to be entitled to something?

I applied for finance but wasn't sure what I should be asking for, I've had notification for my loan/maintenance grant at 6075 for the year but we are still going to be really stretched financially on that as most of it is taken into consideration by housing benefit/council tax benefit apparently.

Help!
Do you get housing benefit at the moment?

If so, send a recent letter proving that to student finance, and they'll put you on the special support grant. That grant isn't taken into account for benefits purposes, so it should help you a little, even if it's not much more money.

As for the adult dependants grant, I was told that if the other student is at the OU you are not entitled, as OU courses are all part-time. We appealed because he was studying full-time, but they are classified as part-time courses, so we were not entitled.
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for the reply :smile:

I just spoke to student finance and he said that we won't meet any of the criteria for special support but may for the adult dependants grant. I am so blimmin confused!

We do receive some housing benefit and council tax benefit at the moment.
Reply 3
Apparently, you can get SSG if your partner is a student. But that might only be if he's classed as full time.
Reply 4
Thanks for that, I have changed the income/outgoings online as they were incorrect and it's thrown up different figures but I have to wait up to 4 weeks to find out what's what :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending