The Student Room Group

US Troops plotted to kill Barack Obama.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-troops-plotted-to-kill-barack-obama-8082380.html

Four US soldiers plotted to assassinate Barack Obama and overthrow the government, a court has heard.

One, private Michael Burnett, has pleaded guilty to manslaughter and gang charges in the killings last December of former soldier Michael Roark and his girlfriend, 17-year-old Tiffany York.

Burnett said that Roark, who had just left the army, knew of the militia group's plans and was killed because he was "a loose end."

Prosecutor Isabel Pauley said the group bought $87,000 (£55,000) of guns and bomb-making materials and plotted to take over Fort Stewart, bomb targets in Savannah and Washington state, as well as assassinate the president.

AP

So the media goes crazy over something as insignificant as Harry Mountbatten's private life and not much publicity is seen over the above?

Right...
Reply 1
What Obama that is! :awesome:
Reply 2
probably just a bunch of racist rednecks who slipped past the recruitment screening.

That £55,000 figure is no doubt highly exaggerated like lawyers/press always do.

It is one thing to plot crazys plans like this and something else for them to actually do it. For it to work is something else entirely.

Also, this was revealed during a murder trial. It was highly unlikely such a thing would ever have actually formed, not exactly breaking news.

If I wanted I could go kill someone and say they were a loose end who new about some covert plan to take over the country. Then show a bunch of guns and bombs. I would be potrayed as a nutter, not as a leader of a serious attempt on the government. That is why this is barely considered news.
(edited 11 years ago)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/military-terror-plot-murd_n_1833435.html

Four Army soldiers based in southeast Georgia killed a former comrade and his girlfriend to protect an anarchist militia group they formed that stockpiled assault weapons and plotted a range of anti-government attacks, prosecutors told a judge Monday.

Prosecutors in rural Long County, near the sprawling Army post Fort Stewart, said the militia group of active and former U.S. military members spent at least $87,000 buying guns and bomb components. They allege the group was serious enough to kill two people former soldier Michael Roark and his 17-year-old girlfriend, Tiffany York by shooting them in the woods last December in order to keep its plans secret.

"This domestic terrorist organization did not simply plan and talk," prosecutor Isabel Pauley told a Superior Court judge. "Prior to the murders in this case, the group took action. Evidence shows the group possessed the knowledge, means and motive to carry out their plans."

Prosecutors said the group called itself F.E.A.R., short for Forever Enduring Always Ready. Pauley said authorities don't know how many members it had.
Reply 4
Four people think they can overthrow a government?:dontknow:
Reply 5
Unless they were high ranking or their plot stood a chance of working, this isn't a massively important story. The reason the media focuses on Harry's personal life is because he is famous and people care about his behaviour; it isn't really news that some random Americans had a poorly thought out plan to kill their president. From the news posted so far it's effectively just a homicide story with a weird twist; those are a dime-a-dozen anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Piprod01
Four people think they can overthrow a government?:dontknow:

I reckon four people could overthrow the French government.

After all, they'd just surrender.
Original post by Benniboi1

not unless they know a little guy with a big hat to help em
Reply 8
Original post by Benniboi1

Some historians argue that without the French WW2 could have played out very differently (not French really, but still a part of their army)

Quick Reply

Latest