The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by shutthedoor
Is it your first choice? ;D What are your other choices? :smile:

My official first choice in Edinburgh is Sociology, second choice Social & Economic History with Sociology (might change the order though) :P
How about you? And are you applying to some other unis as well?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by ..lauren
I'm applying for Physics, but I'm leaning towards Glasgow at the moment.

I got an offer from Glasgow last year and didn't apply to Edinburgh (for some strange reason). Anyway, I went to see both (Edinburgh because I was in Glasgow and my mate wanted to go to the Edinburgh open day), fell in love with Edinburgh. The West End of Glasgow is beautiful, but I found the rest pretty awful, also in terms of academic reputation etc. I'm sure Edinburgh is better? Anyway, I decided to reapply the next year (for 2nd year entry and first year, depends what I get offers for :smile: )

How come you're leaning towards Glasgow?
Reply 42
Original post by Chewythepikachu
*bump*

Any friendly folks applying for physics next year :smile: ?
Also, I'm sure edinburgh does give bachelors degrees, I was looking at the BSc for awhile

Physics :woo:

Did you go to the open day?
I'm applying for Politics and Sociology with AAAAB in Highers, 3 As predicted this year along with an A in an extra Higher. Does anyone have an idea of what my chances of an offer are? I got an unconditional from Glasgow for the same course which I'm delighted with but I'd love an offer from Edinburgh too. Also, Glasgow's Sociology course looks a bit betetr than Edinburgh's and I'm having a really tough time deciding between the two in my head (presuming I get an offer from Edinburgh). Does anyone have any ideas about which to go for? Sorry for all the questions, good luck with all of your applications!

Reply 44
Original post by clairecatrina
I'm applying for Politics and Sociology with AAAAB in Highers, 3 As predicted this year along with an A in an extra Higher. Does anyone have an idea of what my chances of an offer are? I got an unconditional from Glasgow for the same course which I'm delighted with but I'd love an offer from Edinburgh too. Also, Glasgow's Sociology course looks a bit betetr than Edinburgh's and I'm having a really tough time deciding between the two in my head (presuming I get an offer from Edinburgh). Does anyone have any ideas about which to go for? Sorry for all the questions, good luck with all of your applications!

You've got excellent grades, so you stand a good chance of getting an offer. Just be aware that Edinburgh is always oversubscribed, particularly for the arts and humanities. People with straight A's have been rejected before, so don't assume an offer.

As for which course to go for - that's really up to you. I wouldn't suggest making your decision based on the course alone. It's hard (nearly impossible, really) to tell what a course will be like before attending. So ask yourself which city you'd rather live in for four years. Visit both if you haven't already. If one city stands out for you, then I'd suggest that's a strong factor.
Original post by xanthippe
My official first choice in Edinburgh is Sociology, second choice Social & Economic History with Sociology (might change the order though) :P
How about you? And are you applying to some other unis as well?

Yeah, Edinburgh would be my first choice too. My other choices are Cardiff, Aston, Portsmouth and Coventry. :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by NonfatalNerdisms
I'm thinking of applying to transfer into Edinburgh for 2013. Has anyone transferred from another college before?

People do yes, but you need to apply before the normal application deadline of 15th January.
Original post by NeoNerd
You've got excellent grades, so you stand a good chance of getting an offer. Just be aware that Edinburgh is always oversubscribed, particularly for the arts and humanities. People with straight A's have been rejected before, so don't assume an offer.

As for which course to go for - that's really up to you. I wouldn't suggest making your decision based on the course alone. It's hard (nearly impossible, really) to tell what a course will be like before attending. So ask yourself which city you'd rather live in for four years. Visit both if you haven't already. If one city stands out for you, then I'd suggest that's a strong factor.

Thank you very much. I'd heard of people getting straight As and being rejected too, I suppose that's why I'm so terrified, haha. I love Glasgow and lived there as a toddler, I've been to Edinburgh quite a few times and love it too. I'll just have to wait and see what Edinburgh say. Are you applying yourself? :smile:
Just got rejected for second year entry, still have an application in for first year entry though which is pending
Reply 49
Original post by bayernmunich
I got an offer from Glasgow last year and didn't apply to Edinburgh (for some strange reason). Anyway, I went to see both (Edinburgh because I was in Glasgow and my mate wanted to go to the Edinburgh open day), fell in love with Edinburgh. The West End of Glasgow is beautiful, but I found the rest pretty awful, also in terms of academic reputation etc. I'm sure Edinburgh is better? Anyway, I decided to reapply the next year (for 2nd year entry and first year, depends what I get offers for :smile: )

How come you're leaning towards Glasgow?

See, I only live 8 miles away from Glasgow city centre, so I know the city anyway. And I'd have the option of living at home as it's only a half our train journey to Partick. I also got a far better impression from Glasgow - the people were just so friendly and welcoming - in contrast to Edinburgh where although the people were nice enough, I just didn't get the same feel for the place. I do understand why people fall in love with edinburgh though, it is a beautiful place.
Reply 50
Original post by clairecatrina
Thank you very much. I'd heard of people getting straight As and being rejected too, I suppose that's why I'm so terrified, haha. I love Glasgow and lived there as a toddler, I've been to Edinburgh quite a few times and love it too. I'll just have to wait and see what Edinburgh say. Are you applying yourself? :smile:

Hah, no. I'm a bit of an old-timer on these forums. I applied in 2006, and started my degree in 2007.
Reply 51
Oh the nostalgia... :biggrin: I remember this was me, fretting about possible rejections last year this time. Halloween is my offer- getting anniversary. Good luck to all of you! :smile: Remember if you do get in, that it's an AMAZING place! (not trying to advertise it or anything but it's true)
Original post by String.
Physics :woo:

Did you go to the open day?

Nope, I was really lazy about open days & it was a 5 hour trip to get there, had a good look around the city on streetview though :tongue:
How was it?
Reply 53
Original post by Chewythepikachu
Nope, I was really lazy about open days & it was a 5 hour trip to get there, had a good look around the city on streetview though :tongue:
How was it?

Oh, 5 hours.. try flying over...:colondollar:

Was amazing :biggrin: stayed with my friend's brother and we went to a flat party and all :smile:
Reply 54
Hello everyone,
I am Olya and I am a final-year undergraduate student at Coventry University, studying BSc Climate change. I am expected to graduate in August 2013 and I am interested in a masters qualification at the University of Edinburgh, more specifically in the MSc Ecological Economics. I apologise for the intrusion but I would be pleased if there is anyone who would like to share an opinion regarding the course.
For example, is it well structured, what particular modules are included, what would be your overall review? I appreciate your effort.
Many thanks,
Olya Spasova.
Sent my application for Sociology in Edinburgh yesterday. :smile:
Reply 56
If I am applying to two courses at Edinburgh, do I need to give them my preference? If so, is this done through ucas or do I phone them up after I have sent in my application?
Reply 57
Original post by NeoNerd

This is so true! Also, be prepared to wait for a reply from Edinburgh. I got my offer from them for 2012 entry on the 10th of May.
Original post by xDreamerx
If I am applying to two courses at Edinburgh, do I need to give them my preference? If so, is this done through ucas or do I phone them up after I have sent in my application?

You are unable to prioritise. Courses are automatically sorted alphabetically by Ucas. Your applications will be dealt with on their own merits and offers made accordingly. When you get offers, you do the prioritising by accepting, declining or firming and insurancing.
Reply 59
I applied for Social Anthropology XD I visited over the summer and fell in love! I heard it's easier to get an offer if your an international student (is that true?).

Latest

Trending

Trending