The Student Room Group

Would i be able to study an econ degree, alongside studing a-level maths?

Is it plausible, have many people done this before? If it helps, i'm going university of birmingham and have achieved some good set of a-level results.
Original post by madrid90
Is it plausible, have many people done this before? If it helps, i'm going university of birmingham and have achieved some good set of a-level results.

Why would you want to do this?
Reply 2

Original post by logiadoevus
Why would you want to do this?[/

That's beside the point and has nothing to do with want i'm seeking on this thread.
Reply 3
That's beside the point and has nothing to do with want i'm seeking on this thread.

You could if you wanted, but it would be a lot of hassle and quite expensive. You'd have to find a place that would let you take exams. You'd have to pay for the cost of every paper, plus whatever admin fee they charge for letting you do it, which could be 50% or 100% more than the papers actually cost. Finding a place like this which accepts people for exams who don't go there for school/college ordinarily can be quite hard if you don't live in a big city.

You'd have to make sure the maths and your degree didn't get in the way of each other, as both are a lot of work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
What's the point? 3rd year econ maths goes beyond A levels

It has everything to do with it - different reasons will cause different answers. For example, if you simply feel that your economics course isn't maths'y enough and you enjoy maths, then why not, go for it. If you do it with some convoluted plan of getting onto another economics course that requires maths A-level, then probably there are better options.
Reply 6
I did my A2 business studies at college on Wednesday evenings 6 to 9pm alongside podiatry degree. Had Wednesday's only 9 to 11 in uni so had a big gap to study. Really enjoyed my part time course.
Reply 7
Original post by logiadoevus
It has everything to do with it - different reasons will cause different answers. For example, if you simply feel that your economics course isn't maths'y enough and you enjoy maths, then why not, go for it. If you do it with some convoluted plan of getting onto another economics course that requires maths A-level, then probably there are better options.

This is partly my plan, i really think i ought to be going some where like Durham or Nottingham uni for economics.
Reply 8
Original post by Plasticine
You could if you wanted, but it would be a lot of hassle and quite expensive. You'd have to find a place that would let you take exams. You'd have to pay for the cost of every paper, plus whatever admin fee they charge for letting you do it, which could be 50% or 100% more than the papers actually cost. Finding a place like this which accepts people for exams who don't go there for school/college ordinarily can be quite hard if you don't live in a big city.

You'd have to make sure the maths and your degree didn't get in the way of each other, as both are a lot of work.

Thanks fot the great advice, i'm hoping to ask my previous college that i attended, hopefully they will allow me to take the exams. When do you think is best to contact the college? From what i've seen on the student room, the work load for economics isn't huge, as opposed to something like law. If this is the case, then i believe it can be feasible.
Reply 9
Original post by cdoyle
I did my A2 business studies at college on Wednesday evenings 6 to 9pm alongside podiatry degree. Had Wednesday's only 9 to 11 in uni so had a big gap to study. Really enjoyed my part time course.

Did you struggle with balancing the workload? Also, did you have to pay for the lessons you had for A2 buisness at your college, if so, how much?
Thanks.
Thanks fot the great advice, i'm hoping to ask my previous college that i attended, hopefully they will allow me to take the exams. When do you think is best to contact the college? From what i've seen on the student room, the work load for economics isn't huge, as opposed to something like law. If this is the case, then i believe it can be feasible.

I think it's best to contact the college as soon as possible (when term starts next week because their probably won't be anyone there right now), because if you want to do any exams this January the deadline for exam entries is around October time. Since you used to go to that college they might not charge you an admin fee, but there's still a chance they might.

If you haven't already, you should be buying your books and everything now and you need to decide what units you want to do and when.

If you want to do just the AS this year most people do Core 1 in January, and Core 2 and one of Stats 1, Decision 1 and Mechanics 1 in June. If you want to do both the AS and A2 this year, most people who do it like that take C1, C2 and S1/M1/D1 in January and C3, C4 and S1/D1/M1/S2/M2/D2 in June.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Did you struggle with balancing the workload? Also, did you have to pay for the lessons you had for A2 buisness at your college, if so, how much?
Thanks.

Didnt struggle at all. My lecturers pointed out that they didnt know anyone who worked any harder that was before they knew I was doing the part time course. They read my placement document we had to fill in where I mentioned it in the 'About yourself'. I had a big gap on Wednesdays all of Friday off and the weekend to help too. Lucky enough to get Fridays off as my brother doesnt hes 9-5pm. I paid £83 in December 2010 for it. It was a 16 week course for AS and 16 for A2 but as I did AS the year before now enrolled for the second sixteen part. As a full time student I got it at a reduced fee depends on the college criteria as some colleges dont give a reduced fee if your full time doing a part time course and others give reduced fee for higher education courses if you're jobseekers and others dont. Varies. The 83 was broken into two parts £42 for exams an £41 for 16 weeks tuition 3 hours a week was pretty good I reckon. Wanted to bag the opportunity now while I could. I'm doing A2 Psychology this year got it for £75- which was £42 exam fee and £33 tuition for 32 weeks 3 hours per week even better at that college. reduced fee for this year at my first college would have been £147 which doesnt state whether this is exam and tuition. Prospectus and website display different prices. The £75 was both, just a bit more travelling but I get a monthly ticket which isnt anymore than I would pay anyway if I where just at university. I know 3 others who are full time and part time too. common enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending