The Student Room Group

LSE Management PG Personal Statement examples

Hi all,

The number of threads is quite huge, and this might have been answered already, but can anyone offer any help, or even better, examples when it comes to writing a PS for a postgraduate Management course in LSE? Anyone who got in and cares to share one? Or you know whre I could find one? The course suits my needs perfectly, I reeeeeally would like to get in and any examples of good PSs would be incredibly valuable :smile: cheers!
Reply 1
Why not simply google "personal statements management master's"? I doubt the LSE program is so different of is offered elsewhere that it needs a specific statement of purpose. Just make sure you respect any rough guidelines sometimes mentioned on the webpages such as maximum length, and use what you find as inspiration for yours.

In any case, for taught master's statements of purpose do not play a big role in admission decisions and they are unlikely to make or break your application. Go straight to the point and do not waste too much time on it. Unless told otherwise, write less than a page.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ghost6
Why not simply google "personal statements management master's"? I doubt the LSE program is so different of is offered elsewhere that it needs a specific statement of purpose. Just make sure you respect any rough guidelines sometimes mentioned on the webpages such as maximum length, and use what you find as inspiration for yours.

In any case, for taught master's statements of purpose do not play a big role in admission decisions and they are unlikely to make or break your application. Go straight to the point and do not waste too much time on it. Unless told otherwise, write less than a page.

This is not true for all taught masters degrees. And if two candidates have equally good grades and refences, the PS may be all that differentiates them. The fact that some universities go to the trouble of passing PS's through plagiarism software is also an indication that they take them seriously.
Reply 3
Original post by Ghost6

I have to disagree a little with you Ghost. A statement of purpose especially for an institution such as the LSE can sway an applicants success as the strongest candidates apply and most applicants are homogenous.

My undergraduate institution is not great (Middlesex University) and I was offered a place for the MSc Management, Organisations and Governance which is a alot more competitive than the MSc Management masters and my lecturers where extremely impressed with my personal statement.

With regards to the OP's question; write a personal statement of about a page and a half to 2 pages. No BS and Concise. It should also include a paragraph on how the masters will elevate future career prospects near the end.

Finally I think that academic reference are crucial in making or breaking an application. If your professors can differentiate you from other pupils and describe that in your statement of purpose then that would be incredibly useful.
Reply 4
Original post by SkyScraper
I have to disagree a little with you Ghost. A statement of purpose especially for an institution such as the LSE can sway an applicants success as the strongest candidates apply and most applicants are homogenous.

My undergraduate institution is not great (Middlesex University) and I was offered a place for the MSc Management, Organisations and Governance which is a alot more competitive than the MSc Management masters and my lecturers where extremely impressed with my personal statement.

With regards to the OP's question; write a personal statement of about a page and a half to 2 pages. No BS and Concise. It should also include a paragraph on how the masters will elevate future career prospects near the end.

Finally I think that academic reference are crucial in making or breaking an application. If your professors can differentiate you from other pupils and describe that in your statement of purpose then that would be incredibly useful.

Ha, Management, Org. and Governance is exactly the course I want to apply for! It really offers everything that I need, and hopefully I can give something back to the uni as well. I'm graduating in 2013 from the University of Exeter, which is still a top 10 uni, and 8th for business, plus I have done stuff on the side, such as a several month PwC-sponsored business project, and I've just finished a 2 month internship in a big advertising agency. I've also secured myself a position on a society committe in third year. You reckon stuff like that is any good for LSE? I could probably get a 1st if I tried a bit harder this year, although for some reason I think a 2.1 is (maybe) more realistic. You think there's any useful advice you could give me? Seeing as you're on the same course I want to get into, any info would be extremely valuable :smile: could you by any chance send me your PS just to have a broad model of what a successful one looks like, at least for the specific course? You have no idea how much I'd appreciate that, SkyScraper! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Oh yeah, and about academic references: what if the 2 lecturers don't really know you that well? What if you're just another one of their students and they just can't differentiate you, because there's no way to do that in university conditions? My personal tutor could probably do that (and would be glad to), but do they count as academic references :/? P.S. he's a lecturer in my uni, but has never taught me personally (and won't), although we have sort of cooperated in other ways
Reply 6
Original post by nikolitjo
Ha, Management, Org. and Governance is exactly the course I want to apply for! It really offers everything that I need, and hopefully I can give something back to the uni as well. I'm graduating in 2013 from the University of Exeter, which is still a top 10 uni, and 8th for business, plus I have done stuff on the side, such as a several month PwC-sponsored business project, and I've just finished a 2 month internship in a big advertising agency. I've also secured myself a position on a society committe in third year. You reckon stuff like that is any good for LSE? I could probably get a 1st if I tried a bit harder this year, although for some reason I think a 2.1 is (maybe) more realistic. You think there's any useful advice you could give me? Seeing as you're on the same course I want to get into, any info would be extremely valuable :smile: could you by any chance send me your PS just to have a broad model of what a successful one looks like, at least for the specific course? You have no idea how much I'd appreciate that, SkyScraper! :biggrin:

Try harder and get a first. This is almost always the first screen. Even if courses say a 2:1 minimum, if they are very competitive you may find that effectively you need a first to be considered.
Reply 7
Original post by sj27
Try harder and get a first. This is almost always the first screen. Even if courses say a 2:1 minimum, if they are very competitive you may find that effectively you need a first to be considered.

Yeh, I guess you're right. After all LSE is worth fighting for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending