The Student Room Group

Worst Ethnic/Racial Stereotypes

What are the worst stereotypes you have heard and which race is the most prejudiced against in your opinion?
All white people are pedophiles
All black people look the same
All mixed-race people love themselves too much
White people can't dance
All Asians know Kung Fu and are geniuses
Reply 2
Black people are dumb and stupid, and are only athletic or are only good with music.
Asian people, are mathematical computers, are reclusive, racist themselves, socially awkward.
White people, think that their race is the best, rich and uncaring for the rest of the world
Arabs only care about islam, all arabs are muslim hate western society, want to enforce islam on others

Well Im not gonna go any further cause, i think i pretty much crossed the line, but I think the point of this thread is harsh honesty hence my opinions, and before any one flags me as a racist, well im black, and I pretty much degraded my own race.
But im just posting this, because I want to show what goes on in peopls minds, racism still exists, I hate them people who are pretty much like "oww racism doesnt exist, times have changed" well thats true to an extent, but not everywhere in the world and not always, and prejudice I think is even worse than racism. Racism at least is an opinion, prejudice is when racism is enforced and put into action, so yeh thats basically my opinion on this.
And sorry if I offended anyone, I didnt mean to
Reply 3
Some common stereotypes I've come across:

- Gay men are feminine and lesbians are masculine
- Jewish people are rich/tight/push overs
- Scottish people are tight
- Gay people are promiscuous
- Americans are uncultured/fat
- Asians are kung fu experts
- English overly polite/drink tea/all whine/love the weather
- Foreign people are hairy
Intersectional misogyny (i.e. racist nonsense with woman-hating thrown in.)
Black women as "Jezebel"; Asian women as submissives and "delicate princesses"; Latina women as "hot" and/or "spicy"; general views of non-white women as "exotic fruits" and thus sex objects
The failure of white bourgeois women's rights activists to take these into account led Maya Angelou and her allies to start the Womanist movement for liberating women of colour.
Original post by nsolma1
Black people are dumb and stupid, and are only athletic or are only good with music.
, and before any one flags me as a racist, well im black, and I pretty much degraded my own race.

This is still a big enough problem for Obama to address in his speech about Black boys not all being the next Lil'Wayne and instead being the next doctors and professors. He was accused of dissing Wayne but I never thought that fair, he was making a point that sports and entertainment are not a route to prosperity for the majority of Blacks and so anti-intellectual attitudes ("acting white" as slang for reading books or behaving well at school) must be challenged to move the next generation closer to substantive, and not mere procedural, equality.

He had to be careful about pro-hip hop references anyway due to idiotic racists that continue to plague the US. "I don't like rap" is becoming a code phrase like "literacy tests" were 50 years ago. Of course not liking rap in itself is not racist... but politicians using it as an excuse to talk about "violence, sex and drugs" or a "ghetto culture" is playing on all the worst stereotypes and playing to the bigoted base.
Reply 6
Original post by ScheduleII
This is still a big enough problem for Obama to address in his speech about Black boys not all being the next Lil'Wayne and instead being the next doctors and professors. He was accused of dissing Wayne but I never thought that fair, he was making a point that sports and entertainment are not a route to prosperity for the majority of Blacks and so anti-intellectual attitudes ("acting white" as slang for reading books or behaving well at school) must be challenged to move the next generation closer to substantive, and not mere procedural, equality.

He had to be careful about pro-hip hop references anyway due to idiotic racists that continue to plague the US. "I don't like rap" is becoming a code phrase like "literacy tests" were 50 years ago. Of course not liking rap in itself is not racist... but politicians using it as an excuse to talk about "violence, sex and drugs" or a "ghetto culture" is playing on all the worst stereotypes and playing to the bigoted base.
Exactly, its a big problem in the black community, not just in the UK or the US but almost anywhere in the world, and I can speak from experience as I have lived in the Netherlands for 15 years and there its pretty much the same problem. I think that the media has had a major influence as well. Theres so much to say about this issue, id rather not start and turn it into a debate, but you seem to at least understand my viewpoint.:smile:
Reply 7
It's not a racial stereotype, but the social stigma with black people 'acting white' doesn't do either race any favours (and the stigma is the worst in the USA).

Black people who conform to the 'gangsta' culture just because they're black/feel pressured to just makes the stereotypes about black people worse, imo.

And I doubt the people that use the term 'acting white' could even define the term.

Before the 'you're racist' bandwagon comes, I'm criticizing the pressures to act a certain way because you're a certain ethnicity, not the ethnicities themselves, seeing as it's probably the only reason ethnic tensions exist apart from ignorance.
Black people are criminals and uneducated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending