The Student Room Group

Commuting to University.

http://tillyjean.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/a-commuters-guide-to-commuting/.

I wrote the above blog post as a sort of guide to commuting to university, and thought I'd post it here for anyone who might be commuting to university, or considering it. A lot of the time the only advice available on the Internet (and certainly on TSR) is "don't do it", so I thought I'd put this out here as a "I do it, and you can too if you want". If at least one person finds it useful, that'd be nice!

Background: I'm about to start my second year of university, I commuted one and a half - 2 hours each way by train last year (into London), and I'm doing the same this year.
Reply 1
Your blog is great. Really enjoyed reading the posts I've read so far :smile: Keep writing!
Reply 2
Original post by Sooz
Your blog is great. Really enjoyed reading the posts I've read so far :smile: Keep writing!

Thank you very much!
Reply 3
I'll be starting a postgraduate course next week, and I'll be commuting (1hr 20mins), as it was the cheaper and more viable option. I didn't see the point in paying an extra £5,000+, for living in student accommodation, especially when our course is taught in blocks. e.g. Go in 1 week for module, 2 weeks off for assignment, go in for next module, 2 weeks off etc.

However, I'm starting to wonder if I will later on regret my decision. I've always loved the university, and it would be great to make some friends outside of the course on societies etc, but as I'll be commuting / not at uni every week, surely this will be difficult?

I'm just wondering if I'm missing out a little on the postgraduate experience, rather than work work work all the time (that's if I even have time for non-work activities).

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience commuting, how did you find completing work and the commute? Did you manage to join any societies and have friends outside of the course?
Reply 4
I'm currently going into 3rd year at Salford and have commuted since day one from Huddersfield which requires me to take 1 train to Manchester and 1 to Salford and back again every day. The commute takes around 1hours 45 by the time I've drove to the station/waited for my connection etc.

I had to stay at home the first 2 years for certain reasons and I was worried I'd miss out on the university lifestyle but I can honestly say I've got the best of both worlds. If I want to go out i can and I can focus on work whilst at home. I managed to make friends as well so I wouldn't worry about that either :smile:. You could also use the commute to do reading etc that's what I do so I feel I haven't wasted hours just sat listening to my iPod :smile:.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Commuter's Guide

Stay at a friends hall, so make lot of friends.
If you know other commuter's or friends from different uni/city get a cheap hotel room together.
If you’re driving home after a night out remember you have to stay sober.
If you live in the same city or a near by city remember to know the bus time table as this works out a lot cheaper or you could also call for a taxi.
Expand your network. Make lots of friends, social websites are great e.g. Twitter, Facebook, TRS, University Website, Student Union, Linked In + many more.
Join societies, uni gym and sports clubs. That way you will have fun and easily make friends with similar interests.
Make sure you get involved in everything, just because you commute don't let it affect your university life. Commuter's can party hard!
Invite friends over to your house, throw a house party with close friends. Let some stay at your house (if it's okay with house owner obviously.) This way they will feel that they can invite you and let you stay in their room.
Make friends that commute this way you will know what each of you go through and can plan events together.
Get involved, become a course rep, faculty rep, student ambassador, get involved with your student union.
Get a university job or a job in the main city centre. This way you will make friends with students in the whole city.
Make sure your up to date with all the major events. So do follow pages or event groups on Facebook and twitter. Plan a nights out with friends! Buy them drinks.
Have a going out outfit in your car or bag or locker in case your friends randomly decide a night out. Girls always keep a makeup bag in your purse :wink:
Join a commuter’s society or create one. Always let SU. Know of any concerns.
Do present yourself in the way you want people to see you. Be your real self! don't change yourself for others, but don't be overly drunk so that friends think your a handful! Be classy, be yourself and show your personality :smile:
Let all your friends know that you commute! :smile:
Do your reading on the train/buses. Make sure you keep yourself productive in your journey.
Time management is important, so make sure you keep a diary or however it suits you, but be organised.
Reply 6
Commuter's Guide
Stay at a friends hall, so make lot of friends.
If you know other commuter's or friends from different uni/city get a cheap hotel room together.
If you’re driving home after a night out remember you have to stay sober.
If you live in the same city or a near by city remember to know the bus time table as this works out a lot cheaper or you could also call for a taxi.
Expand your network. Make lots of friends, social websites are great e.g. Twitter, Facebook, TRS, University Website, Student Union, Linked In + many more.
Join societies, uni gym and sports clubs. That way you will have fun and easily make friends with similar interests.
Make sure you get involved in everything, just because you commute don't let it affect your university life. Commuter's can party hard!
Invite friends over to your house, throw a house party with close friends. Let some stay at your house (if it's okay with house owner obviously.) This way they will feel that they can invite you and let you stay in their room.
Make friends that commute this way you will know what each of you go through and can plan events together.
Get involved, become a course rep, faculty rep, student ambassador, get involved with your student union.
Get a university job or a job in the main city centre. This way you will make friends with students in the whole city.
Make sure your up to date with all the major events. So do follow pages or event groups on Facebook and twitter. Plan a nights out with friends! Buy them drinks.
Have a going out outfit in your car or bag or locker in case your friends randomly decide a night out. Girls always keep a makeup bag in your purse :wink:
Join a commuter’s society or create one. Always let SU. Know of any concerns.
Do present yourself in the way you want people to see you. Be your real self! don't change yourself for others, but don't be overly drunk so that friends think your a handful! Be classy, be yourself and show your personality :smile:
Do your reading on the train/buses. Make sure you keep yourself productive in your journey. If it doesn’t suit you, just relax.
Time management is important, so make sure you keep a diary or however it suits you, but be organised.
know the train time table. download national enquires app. Know bus timing so that you don’t waste your time
Remember your saving money! It’s your education! So remind yourself that when you feel as if your missing out on ‘uni life’ independence’ (but really your being independent by commuting )
If you are driving. Parking fee is expensive so know where to park.
Have an mp3/ ipod to listen to on your journey.
Get the student rail discount card, seasonally/term student ticket (west midlands network scheme), oyster card (London)- ask at the bus station/ train station about deals they might have available.
Reply 7
To anybody who is currently in college, recently graduated, or working at a college/university, I am part of a team at Oregon State University (Mechanical Engineering Dept.) developing a sustainable product for commuting to campus. We have created a simple questionnaire to better understand this design space and would greatly appreciate y'all's input. (Please pass this along to your acquaintances as well. The more input, from as diverse a populous as possible, the better.)
Original post by hidehidehidehi
http://tillyjean.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/a-commuters-guide-to-commuting/.

I wrote the above blog post as a sort of guide to commuting to university, and thought I'd post it here for anyone who might be commuting to university, or considering it. A lot of the time the only advice available on the Internet (and certainly on TSR) is "don't do it", so I thought I'd put this out here as a "I do it, and you can too if you want". If at least one person finds it useful, that'd be nice!

Background: I'm about to start my second year of university, I commuted one and a half - 2 hours each way by train last year (into London), and I'm doing the same this year.

So glad to hear this response from you I'm so sick of British students moaning people travelling my journey is one hour and 45 minutes, the cities are right next to each other but people act as if I am going through labour. I know a men who travels four hours yet people give him a hard time. Do what's best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending