The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan & Grant

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before...
If I am entitled to a Loan and a Grant, will my loan be reduced by the amount of the Grant?

So, if I am entitled to say a £5000 loan and a £2000 grant, does that mean I will get £5000 in total but only have to pay £3000 back?

I ask this as a friend of mine who is in Uni is adamant you get the Grant on top on the Loan but I have read on the Student Finance website that if you are entitled to a grant your loan will be reduced (but it doesnt say how much by).

Reply 1
I get a loan and a grant it works out to about £6,700 a year split about half and half. I am sorry that I can’t help further but if you call student finance they will give you a correct answer. Also good luck with your studies and remember to check for other bursaries that could be course specific for external sources.
Reply 2
The loan does get reduced; but not by the same amount as the grant. I also seem to remember it's something like for every £1 of grant, it's 50p of loan taken away. But it stops at a certain amount.
Reply 3
Original post by UPPSY
I get a loan and a grant it works out to about £6,700 a year split about half and half. I am sorry that I can’t help further but if you call student finance they will give you a correct answer. Also good luck with your studies and remember to check for other bursaries that could be course specific for external sources.

Thanks for the advice :wink:

I'm a bit relieved now as I don't want to have to go out to work and uni as it would be virtually impossible to get my daughter picked up from school.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
The loan does get reduced; but not by the same amount as the grant. I also seem to remember it's something like for every £1 of grant, it's 50p of loan taken away. But it stops at a certain amount.

Thanks, thats not too bad then. So effectively if I was to get a £5000 loan and a £3000 grant I would get £6500? (Due to a £1500 reduction of the loan)
Reply 5
I seem to remember some people saying something about £7125 in total. (nothing from uni; that's what they get from SFE)
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
I seem to remember some people saying something about £7125 in total. (nothing from uni; that's what they get from SFE)

Would that be if your entitled to the full wack? (Which I think I am as I have a low household income)

Thanks again x
Original post by kayleighn05
Would that be if your entitled to the full wack? (Which I think I am as I have a low household income)

Thanks again x

£7125 is the full amount - so you have to be entitled to the Special Support Grant too. I think it's around £6800 if you aren't entitled to the SSG, but get the normal grant instead.
Reply 8
I get the full loan and grant and it totals £7125. On my letter it says that of that, I pay back £3800. My loan would be more, but some of the grant 'pays for' the loan, and then you get a bit extra on top.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by WordsAndPictures
£7125 is the full amount - so you have to be entitled to the Special Support Grant too. I think it's around £6800 if you aren't entitled to the SSG, but get the normal grant instead.

With the SSG it's much higher. It's nearer £8k for SSG.
Reply 10
Ok, thanks guys. I have applied for the SSG and I'm not entitled to it.
So I guess I'll be getting around £6500 - £7000, which is fine by me.

I can't wait to start Uni I feel like I'm 17 again ;-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending