The Student Room Group

Best accessories or easy modifications for Audi A3?!

So basically my parents have an audi A3 which I'll hopefully be getting insured to, and I want some cool accessories, interior or exterior that I could purchase just to make things a little more how shall I put it, exciting for me as a teenager to drive.

I'm not talking about crazy hi tech stuff, but any interesting suggestions of items I could purchase or things I could do would be great!
If it helps it's a 1.9 TDI sportback.
Is that the 8p or 8l version?
In any event - I wouldn't be modifying a 1.9TDi.

But if it is the 8p version, you can probably pick up a DVD Sat Nav genuine Audi part for circa ยฃ500 second hand pre-2008 model. That is not a bad addition. You can also opt for AMI which hosts your iPod.

Flat bottom steering wheel - genuine Audi part - nice touch as well.
I'm not sure what the TDi has in it?!

Also love the subtle S-line models - get it some S3 rims on 18's if it fits and genuine Audi sports kit. It does transform your car into something nice without looking chavvy.

What I wouldn't be doing is:
- Chrome mirrors - don't pretend you're an (R)S3 when you are not
- Major exhaust changes when you are driving a diesel unless rear body mods demand it
- Fake xenons. They piss everyone off including me. Get the real thing if you go this route.
Reply 2
Original post by Nรฉ Stig

But if it is the 8p version, you can probably pick up a DVD Sat Nav genuine Audi part for circa ยฃ500 second hand pre-2008 model. That is not a bad addition. You can also opt for AMI which hosts your iPod.

Also love the subtle S-line models - get it some S3 rims on 18's if it fits and genuine Audi sports kit. It does transform your car into something nice without looking chavvy.

- Major exhaust changes when you are driving a diesel unless rear body mods demand it
- Fake xenons. They piss everyone off including me. Get the real thing if you go this route.

Thanks for the reply, it's the 8P version, I think 2009 (private plate number so I can't remember the year!)
hmm that does sound pretty good, a sat nav system would appeal to me and the AMI is something I'll definitely look into.
flat bottom steering wheel looks amazing now that I've searched it up, had never even crossed my mind!
will look into a sports kit too, certainly I have a bit of budgeting to do...

Yeah, I'm not a fan of chrome mirrors so that won't be happening I don't think. I don't think I'll be allowed to touch the exhaust either, not sure my mum would approve (though to be honest would she like any of this stuff?!). Fake xenons I agree I find pointless.

genuinely helpful post, thanks! :smile:
Reply 3
Careful what you change, best check with your insurance company as to what constitutes and official modification according to them and what will inevitably void your insurance or require higher premiums.
Reply 4
If you are intent on modifying it, then keep it OEM. S Line bumpers and Audi alloys would be good, and if you want more go then they will respond well to a remap :smile:
Get it remapped, Revo remap will turn 105bhp and 249Nm into 145bhp and 319Nm for ยฃ299. Probably the most cost effective modification you can do though I'm guessing we were actually talking aesthetic things here right?

The OEM+ route as mentioned by the others is probably the way to go, lots of bits and pieces you can get quite easily. Have a look on Edition 38 for some ideas. Porsche wheels maybe? Or Bentley? Both quite common in the VAG scene as I think they have the same bolt pattern.
Reply 6
Lucky guy
Other fairly minor modifications would be wheel spacers and lowering springs which can help to make the car look a lot more aggressive/sporty. Eibach and H&R both do spacers and springs for pretty much every car under the sun.
Reply 8
Original post by Schleigg
Careful what you change, best check with your insurance company as to what constitutes and official modification according to them and what will inevitably void your insurance or require higher premiums.

that's true, definitely if I do make any changes I'll check with my insurance to make sure everything's ok.

Original post by 1992LP
If you are intent on modifying it, then keep it OEM. S Line bumpers and Audi alloys would be good, and if you want more go then they will respond well to a remap :smile:

I most probably will, just don't want to be taking risks so if I add anything major I'll probably go for OEM. Yes, bumpers and alloys are two of the things I'm thinking of if I can get the money somehow... will look into remapping also, thanks :smile:

Original post by iwantcheese5
Get it remapped, Revo remap will turn 105bhp and 249Nm into 145bhp and 319Nm for ยฃ299. Probably the most cost effective modification you can do though I'm guessing we were actually talking aesthetic things here right?

The OEM+ route as mentioned by the others is probably the way to go, lots of bits and pieces you can get quite easily. Have a look on Edition 38 for some ideas. Porsche wheels maybe? Or Bentley? Both quite common in the VAG scene as I think they have the same bolt pattern.

thank you, will do some research into remapping but that sounds very good!
I was talking mainly aesthetic purely because at present I've not looked into this enough to do anything major but that's really helpful, thanks.

Original post by diggy
Lucky guy

trust me not as lucky as you may think! I'm not allowed my own car and will have the A3 on weekends if that... Also currently have a grand total of ยฃ0 so this could all be hypothetical. But it all helps to get ideas even if it is for the future :smile:

Other fairly minor modifications would be wheel spacers and lowering springs which can help to make the car look a lot more aggressive/sporty. Eibach and H&R both do spacers and springs for pretty much every car under the sun.

thank you, that sounds like something that could be realistic in the short run! Will look into it.
Reply 9
How old are you and how much is your insurance?
Reply 10
Original post by Nรฉ Stig

Awwww come on! You have to admit that the sound of a tweaked diesel on a straight through exhaust with nothing but the turbo to silence it sounds eargasmic! The whistle and the throbbing nyyyyaaahhhh :redface:
Original post by Nuffles
Awwww come on! You have to admit that the sound of a tweaked diesel on a straight through exhaust with nothing but the turbo to silence it sounds eargasmic! The whistle and the throbbing nyyyyaaahhhh :redface:

The A4 with the 3.0l TDi sounds amazing with a Miltek exhaust, I want one so bad...gets silly amounts of torque with a remap as well.

Yeah I'd go for the remap too, but I hear the clutches can be less enthusiastic about the idea.

Original post by Nuffles

Quoted for truth, beautiful on a stage 1 TD5 at the very least! The RR TDV8 doesn't sound bad if you take it all but the cats out either.
Reply 13
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
Yeah I'd go for the remap too, but I hear the clutches can be less enthusiastic about the idea.

Quoted for truth, beautiful on a stage 1 TD5 at the very least! The RR TDV8 doesn't sound bad if you take it all but the cats out either.

Discoverys/Defenders with a 200/300Tdi with a tweaked turbo on a straight-through sound wonderful. Put your foot down and you dump a cloud of black smoke out behind you to the wonderful tune of the turbo whistling up. I miss being in the 4x4 scene :frown:
Original post by Nuffles
Discoverys/Defenders with a 200/300Tdi with a tweaked turbo on a straight-through sound wonderful. Put your foot down and you dump a cloud of black smoke out behind you to the wonderful tune of the turbo whistling up. I miss being in the 4x4 scene :frown:

Well you know the LR/RR mantra, NO SMOKE NO POKE!
First mod I do to any car is a thicker rear anti-roll bar. Reducing roll to the rear keeps the front tyres better aligned with the road surface under hard cornering, giving more grip, and thus higher cornering speeds through there being less chance of understeer.

VAG TDi engines respond well to tuning. My Fabia has the 1.9 diesel lump, and Jabbasport took it from 130bhp to 180, and upped torque from 228 to 312 lb/ft. It now does 30-70 in 6.1s (measured with a Racelogic Driftbox) and 0-62 in 7.2.
Original post by Fuzzed_Out

Hmm that's probably a fair point, could always shove an uprated clutch in there...bit of an undertaking though. Anyway, probably not an issue unless you decide to launch from every set of traffic lights.
Reply 17
Instead of spending money on your parents car save for your own

By the time you have spent some money on a sat nav and some fancy wheels could have brought yourself a nice little run about...
Thank you for all your suggestions, I thought I had a more than casual interest in cars but I really realise now there's a whole world out there to customising cars and I know literally nothing!

Original post by greggy50
Instead of spending money on your parents car save for your own

By the time you have spent some money on a sat nav and some fancy wheels could have brought yourself a nice little run about...

The problem is I'm not allowed a car! My parents think it's a "distraction" to studying which it probably is... So I figure the A3 will do for weekends and well, after school on weekdays. Also at my age (17) insurance would probably cost more than a car itself so even if i were allowed a car, I think I'd much rather do up the audi if possible.

Quick Reply

Latest