The Student Room Group

Which uni is best to study a BSc Healthcare Science Degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Woohoo! Got interviews for Manchester Met, St George's and Anglia Ruskin, and conditional offers from De Montford and Middlesex. So relived but now getting stressed about the interviews :frown: Anyone got any interview tips?
Reply 41
Hi
Sorry been away for the last week and only just got to catch up on all the responses.
Nice to here people showing an interest for this course.
I went to Sunderland and Leeds open days to look at the course.
The main course head did say that the admission tutors across all accredited universities are looking out for all the people who want to use this as a short cut into medicine as it is wasting the uni's time and money especially the work placements as it can go to someone who genuinely wants to do cardiology. The course is new and they will be keeping an eye for the medicine applicants.
I am applying for Swansea, Sunderland,De Montfort, ARU & Middlesex

I wanted to consider MMU for this but i have read quite alot of negative reviews unless someone can shed some light on this for me

Reply 42
Original post by BoboG
Hi
Sorry been away for the last week and only just got to catch up on all the responses.
Nice to here people showing an interest for this course.
I went to Sunderland and Leeds open days to look at the course.
The main course head did say that the admission tutors across all accredited universities are looking out for all the people who want to use this as a short cut into medicine as it is wasting the uni's time and money especially the work placements as it can go to someone who genuinely wants to do cardiology. The course is new and they will be keeping an eye for the medicine applicants.
I am applying for Swansea, Sunderland,De Montfort, ARU & Middlesex

I wanted to consider MMU for this but i have read quite alot of negative reviews unless someone can shed some light on this for me

Were the reviews about MMU or the actual course? Their open day was really good, they are currently my second choice, it would be interesting to know what people think of the course. What was the Sunderland open day like?
Reply 43
Original post by ChetuallaL
Were the reviews about MMU or the actual course? Their open day was really good, they are currently my second choice, it would be interesting to know what people think of the course. What was the Sunderland open day like?

:smile:The reviews were about MMU also is is not highly ranked around 102.
Why did you pick MMU as i would like your opinion?

The Sunderland open day was great as i am considering that as my 2nd option. They have refurbished their entire 3 floor science labs to state of the art equipment and the study area is all modern and colorful and relaxing.

The head of the course is a doctor who is on the medical board for Anglia Ruskin and De Montfort and gave great advise about the Uni and course.
Reply 44
Original post by BoboG
:smile:The reviews were about MMU also is is not highly ranked around 102.
Why did you pick MMU as i would like your opinion?

The Sunderland open day was great as i am considering that as my 2nd option. They have refurbished their entire 3 floor science labs to state of the art equipment and the study area is all modern and colorful and relaxing.

The head of the course is a doctor who is on the medical board for Anglia Ruskin and De Montfort and gave great advise about the Uni and course.

I went to their open day, they gave a really good presentation and workshop, I also got to speak with some students that were actually on the course. De Montfort looked really nice however their presentation was geared towards biomedical science and the audiology route for healthcare. I've also heard that some students have had issues with their placements being delayed.
I haven't really taken much notice of the rankings as only a few unis offer the course. Anglia Ruskins open day was excellent! Their presentation was on par with St George's, they also have 2 practising cardiologists as lectures.
I'm going to the Middlesex open day on Saturday, I hope it's good as they have offered me a place, depending on how it goes they may be in my top 3. I'll let you know. :smile:
Reply 45
Thanks for the heads up as De Mont fort was one of the universities i was going to apply to. I will go to MMU open day this Saturday to have a look.

The Head of the course in Sunderland said University's don't tell you but alot of them are struggling with placements for students for this course but i think every university would say that about others.

I just noticed that you are from Wolverhampton, did you know the cardiology course is being taught their also.

Would really appritiate it if you gave me a run down for Middlesex :smile:
Reply 46
It would be great if anyone else out their can give us some feedback on this course and how it is taught at which university as i know that it is a new course. It would really help all new students to make the right university choices.:biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by BoboG
Thanks for the heads up as De Mont fort was one of the universities i was going to apply to. I will go to MMU open day this Saturday to have a look.

The Head of the course in Sunderland said University's don't tell you but alot of them are struggling with placements for students for this course but i think every university would say that about others.

I just noticed that you are from Wolverhampton, did you know the cardiology course is being taught their also.

Would really appritiate it if you gave me a run down for Middlesex :smile:

I know, they are quite good there too but I want to study away from home, new experiences and all that :smile: . I'll let you know how Middlesex goes.
so is no one applying to Swansea?? :confused:
Reply 49
Woohoo! Got interviews for Manchester Met, St George's and Anglia Ruskin, and conditional offers from De Montford and Middlesex. So relived but now getting stressed about the interviews :frown: Anyone got any interview tips?

Well done! i have applied to the exact same unis, got conditional from De Montford and inteviews fo ARU and Manchester Met, Middlesex and St George's not got back to me yet. I head that the ARU is quite simple 'a friendly chat' but make sure you read up on the course content and be prepared to ask some questions!
Let me know how it goes!
Good Luck
:biggrin:
Reply 50
Hi everyone

I just thought I would add a little something as I am currently in my first year studying healthcare science at ARU

The course is in my opinion fantastic, the lecturers are all very good and are really helpful if there is ever a problem

The work placements are situated during term so therefore you still receive normal holidays, and in a majority the placements were sorted successfully and quickly

The assignments are clear as are the deadlines, and as before the lecturers are always happy to help

I had to go through clearing as my exams didn't go as well as I wanted and I missed out on the grade boundaries for DMU as well as UWE, and right now I'm incredibly glad I did, I'm enjoying it more than I ever expected and hope you guys get the same out of it wherever you go

Obviously I only have the opinion of one university but just thought it might help a little
Reply 51
Original post by jallentino
Hi everyone

I just thought I would add a little something as I am currently in my first year studying healthcare science at ARU

The course is in my opinion fantastic, the lecturers are all very good and are really helpful if there is ever a problem

The work placements are situated during term so therefore you still receive normal holidays, and in a majority the placements were sorted successfully and quickly

The assignments are clear as are the deadlines, and as before the lecturers are always happy to help

I had to go through clearing as my exams didn't go as well as I wanted and I missed out on the grade boundaries for DMU as well as UWE, and right now I'm incredibly glad I did, I'm enjoying it more than I ever expected and hope you guys get the same out of it wherever you go

Obviously I only have the opinion of one university but just thought it might help a little

:smile:Hi
That is the best news as we have really not had anyone actually tell us about how the course is and especially the placements. Their are lots of poeple who are applying for ARU and will be helpfull to them.

Could i ask what grades you did get or did ARU consider for this course through clearing if it is ok

Also what was you clearing experience like to get on this course

Thanks
Reply 52
Original post by BoboG
That is the best news as we have really not had anyone actually tell us about how the course is and especially the placements. Their are lots of poeple who are applying for ARU and will be helpfull to them.

Could i ask what grades you did get or did ARU consider for this course through clearing if it is ok

Thanks

Hi Again

Just wondering which Healthcare Science course are you doing eg cardiology, physiological science, Audiology etc

:colondollar:
Reply 53
Original post by Malika11
Well done! i have applied to the exact same unis, got conditional from De Montford and inteviews fo ARU and Manchester Met, Middlesex and St George's not got back to me yet. I head that the ARU is quite simple 'a friendly chat' but make sure you read up on the course content and be prepared to ask some questions!
Let me know how it goes!
Good Luck
:biggrin:

Wow! I'll definitely let you know. When is your interview for MMU? Mine was meant to be in December but it clashed with my St George's interview :frown:, so they've changed it to February!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by BoboG

Thanks

I ended up with 2 C's in Maths and Biology and a D in english, the clearing process was quick and easy and i got an interview over the phone on the day, my interview was a week later and i got an offer 2 days after that so it was easy and simple, which was really useful seeing that my nerves were all over the place.

I think ARU were accepting 140 UCAS points over clearing so im pretty sure most people would receive those results.

There is 24 of us on this course at the moment, im pretty sure thats one of the highest if not the highest number in the country, i believe DMU only have 5 people studying.

Hope this helps also
Reply 55
Original post by BoboG
Hi Again

Just wondering which Healthcare Science course are you doing eg cardiology, physiological science, Audiology etc

:colondollar:

the current ARU course only offers Cardiology and Respiratory and you make you choice after the first year so you experience both theory and practice in both before deciding. Personally i would prefer to go do a Cardiology pathway but i also enjoy the Respiratory side of things so i don't really mind either way.
Reply 56
the current ARU course only offers Cardiology and Respiratory and you make you choice after the first year so you experience both theory and practice in both before deciding. Personally i would prefer to go do a Cardiology pathway but i also enjoy the Respiratory side of things so i don't really mind either way.

Hi
Thanks a lot for the update this is really helpful. Their seams to be quite a lot of people on your course as some other Universities have around 12 to 15 people like Sunderland, Leeds etc.
Are these 25 students mixed with biochemistry students in the first year or 25 for healthcare science?
Also after clearing did you get accommodation and what is it like the accommodation:smile:

Thanks
Reply 57
There are 24 healthcare science students, I got very lucky with my accommodation, I managed to get the cheap nursing accommodation at addenbrookes but a few people had to get private houses

It's not the best living but it's cheap and 11 girls on the corridor for one guy is alright haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Wow! I'll definitely let you know. When is your interview for MMU? Mine was meant to be in December but it clashed with my St George's interview :frown:, so they've changed it to February!

similar situation with me, my MMU interview got changed to February! i would prefer to have my interview in february rather than december, my mind will be more focussed and less jumbled about. i might change my st george interview to feb aswell :frown: i think i have to :s-smilie:
Reply 59
There are 24 healthcare science students, I got very lucky with my accommodation, I managed to get the cheap nursing accommodation at addenbrookes but a few people had to get private houses

It's not the best living but it's cheap and 11 girls on the corridor for one guy is alright haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great.

Which building is the course mainly taught in as i am just trying to get a feel of where to select the accomodation as i would like on-suite unless you can advise on this matter

Quick Reply

Latest