The Student Room Group

3 Years at college? Help!!!!

I have done 3 years at college I have got 6 GCSEs in Maths English Psychology Physics Chemistry and Biology I also have a Btec in Level 2 Science a Btec In Level 2 Sport a OCR natinoals in ICT and a OCR in Business The Btecs and OCR qualifications are equivalent to so many GCSEs am not sure. So my question is would University Accept me with Just 6 GCSEs and BTEC and OCR qualifications Even though I have done an extra year than people who have done 2 years and have about 15 GCSEs and A levels My A levels are in History (B) Economics (B) Business Studies (B) AS Maths (C) I would be a year older than people going to university and I want to go to a decent university whats the chances of me not going to a good one or even being accepted because ill be 19 and not 18 like the rest of the people on the course (Accounting and Finance) I meen 6 GCSEs and A levels in 3 years.
Reply 1
Age will not be an issue at all. I did three years in sixth form and I got all five offers from good universities.

I had around 10 GCSEs which I gained during secondary school instead of your six. However, I am not sure if GCSEs matter much (?) when it comes to university places - I would imagine they just want you to have the basics such as Maths, English and Science (?).
Reply 2
Ohh nice one well theres a lot of weight of my shoulders its 6 actual GCSEs but the btecs are equivalent so if they are counted as one for university well then I have more than 6 but anyway what did you do 3 years for and have you got any Btec crap and also what did you do in sixth form and what unis accepted you

Thank you.
Much appreciated
Reply 3
Original post by Gatesy123
Ohh nice one well theres a lot of weight of my shoulders its 6 actual GCSEs but the btecs are equivalent so if they are counted as one for university well then I have more than 6 but anyway what did you do 3 years for and have you got any Btec crap and also what did you do in sixth form and what unis accepted you

Thank you.
Much appreciated

I had all normal GCSEs in the following: Maths, Stats, English Lit, English Lang, Core Science, Additional Science, ICT, History, Geography, R.E (probably something else which I can't remember). Most of these were B grades with two C's and one A.

In my first year of Sixth Form I picked Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. But I was relaxed and silly back then, didn't have the right mentality at all which led me to get UUEU respectively.

I chose to retake the year (obviously lol), dropping Chemistry but keeping the rest. I acheived AAB in my AS (Maths, Biology Physics).

I applied to study Civil Engineering early in my third year of sixth form at Cardiff University, University of Leeds, University of Nottingham, University of Liverpool and Nottingham Trent University. Received offers from them all.

I ended up with my final A Level grades as AAB (Maths, Physics, Biology) and got into my firm choice which I decided to be Leeds.

I don't think you'll have any problems at all applying for universities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks and goodluck to use and Whats Core Additinoal Science Im just doing GCSEs in Physics Biology and Chemistry?
Reply 5
I'm not sure if Core Science and Additional Science exist anymore as GCSEs. They may have changed the specification.

I do remember some mates doing "Triple Science" back when I did GCSEs, they were given individual grades for each science like you are currently doing.

But I have no real clue about how GCSEs work these days but yours are obviously fine and probably better than mine!
Reply 6
Okayy so im doing triple science which is Physics chemistry and Biology What Science Subjects did you do?
Original post by Gatesy123
I have done 3 years at college I have got 6 GCSEs in Maths English Psychology Physics Chemistry and Biology I also have a Btec in Level 2 Science a Btec In Level 2 Sport a OCR natinoals in ICT and a OCR in Business The Btecs and OCR qualifications are equivalent to so many GCSEs am not sure. So my question is would University Accept me with Just 6 GCSEs and BTEC and OCR qualifications Even though I have done an extra year than people who have done 2 years and have about 15 GCSEs and A levels My A levels are in History (B) Economics (B) Business Studies (B) AS Maths (C) I would be a year older than people going to university and I want to go to a decent university whats the chances of me not going to a good one or even being accepted because ill be 19 and not 18 like the rest of the people on the course (Accounting and Finance) I meen 6 GCSEs and A levels in 3 years.

I would not worry. GCSEs are unlikely to be looked at as A levels are what the entry requirements ask for. They will still require a grade C in maths and English.

I also did three years at college. I hated A levels which I got B - Politics C Geography D Environmental science (I also hated GCSEs) and managed to scrap my way through them both with about 6 GCSEs above C with English being retaken at college (twice as I kept hitting high D grades). Ended up in Portsmouth Uni and absolutely loved it and graduated with a 2.1 with an average grade of 68-69% so just missed out on a First but that did not matter really as the 2.1 is what I needed to Study the MSc I wanted to do at the University of Southampton.

Since then I am on track to leave Soton with a high merit (I had real issues with a statistics until which completely undermined my chance of getting a distinction as my other unit marks are all in the 65-68%) and I am currently writing my dissertation which is almost done now.The merit is the entry requirement for getting onto a PhD and hopefully I will gain funding second time round (I found out unofficially from my lecturers that I came second for a funding spot and they offered a bit of advice on minor editing which should get me funding second time applying).

I think the key thing to remember is that GCSEs and A levels are pretty meaningless (with the exception of GCSE English and Maths which are a basic job requirement on applying sometimes). Once you have your degree then it is the degree is what counts as the work is on such a higher level and the learning style is completely different with the boring memory test exams which I hated replaced with essays that reward in depth reading and independent thought.

On the topic of age I can tell you now that this is in no way an issue. My group of friends on my MSc are all in their thirties... Mature students are more common at post grad level of study but you will meet some at undergraduate.

So to wrap this up I will quote the Hitch Hikers Guide:

Don't Panic!

A third year is not the end of the world and really finding a subject that interests you enough to study it for three/four years is more important as you have to keep motivated.
Did you have to declare the UUEU on ucas?
Well, if you got a B in economics, could you tell me some tips on how to revise for it. Also, hoe you interpret the knowledge into your brain??
Original post by #Overwatch#$$
Well, if you got a B in economics, could you tell me some tips on how to revise for it. Also, hoe you interpret the knowledge into your brain??

This thread is literally 5 years old...
Reply 11
Original post by DarrenDM
I had all normal GCSEs in the following: Maths, Stats, English Lit, English Lang, Core Science, Additional Science, ICT, History, Geography, R.E (probably something else which I can't remember). Most of these were B grades with two C's and one A.

In my first year of Sixth Form I picked Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. But I was relaxed and silly back then, didn't have the right mentality at all which led me to get UUEU respectively.

I chose to retake the year (obviously lol), dropping Chemistry but keeping the rest. I acheived AAB in my AS (Maths, Biology Physics).

I applied to study Civil Engineering early in my third year of sixth form at Cardiff University, University of Leeds, University of Nottingham, University of Liverpool and Nottingham Trent University. Received offers from them all.

I ended up with my final A Level grades as AAB (Maths, Physics, Biology) and got into my firm choice which I decided to be Leeds.

I don't think you'll have any problems at all applying for universities.

How did the civil engineering degree go?

Latest

Trending

Trending