The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2012-2013: Discussion and Help Thread

Physics and Chemistry have a thread, so why not Biology :biggrin:

So, who's taking Biology this year, and whereabouts are you all in the course?

Also regarding Investigations, is anybody thought of one yet? We have to do one on beach Animals/Plants and I really can't think of anything I could do, Do Crabs do anything interesting :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing my investigation on the effect of different antacids on indigestion (the neutralisation of hydrochloric acid). For those in liquid form, I'm carrying out titrations but I'm not sure what to do for a control experiment. Any ideas? :smile:
Original post by Maryam A
I'm doing my investigation on the effect of different antacids on indigestion (the neutralisation of hydrochloric acid). For those in liquid form, I'm carrying out titrations but I'm not sure what to do for a control experiment. Any ideas? :smile:

Which subjects are you studying this year?
Reply 3
I plan to take AH.Biology next year :smile: Is it much harder than the Higher course?
Original post by Defensive Gnome

Hey buddy, this is the kind of question better reserved for VMs or PMs, as to not drag the thread off-topic. :smile:

Original post by Nessie162
I plan to take AH.Biology next year :smile: Is it much harder than the Higher course?

I'd say that there's definitely more to it, content-wise. But I wouldn't say that it is conceptually more difficult. I'd say that if you're capable of doing well at Higher, you're also capable of doing well at AH.

Edit: lol "I'd say" overload. I'm sick. This is my excuse. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Defensive Gnome

AH Biology, AH Chemistry and H French (alongside a distance-learning course)
Reply 6
People actually do AH Biology? I was thinking for a minute I was the only one....

Experiment for Investigation is done! Have unreliable results (my error bars are so big...) but I have a fair amount of talking points struggles and stuff. Twas great fun.
Hey guys! AH biology is the best subject I'm doing this year... I love it so much... Cannot wait to study the Physiology unit! My only worry would be the investigation as I have NO clue what I'm doing! Where about is everyone along the course?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by chocochipmuffin
Hey guys! AH biology is the best subject I'm doing this year... I love it so much... Cannot wait to study the Physiology unit! My only worry would be the investigation as I have NO clue what I'm doing! Where about is everyone along the course?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly you done Unit 1 first....
Reply 9
Finished Unit 2! Nab next week, then finally onto Unit 1 :biggrin: That unit was soo horrible and boring....
Reply 10
Does anyone have the answers to the 2002 section b question 1? I'm really stuck on the data handling question :frown:
Anyone got any ideas for investigations.
I was going to do the effects of glucose vs caffeine in a standardised IQ test, but was informed by my teacher and head of year that it wasn't acceptable to use first years and guinea pigs, spoil sports that they are

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
Original post by Shengis14
Anyone got any ideas for investigations.
I was going to do the effects of glucose vs caffeine in a standardised IQ test, but was informed by my teacher and head of year that it wasn't acceptable to use first years and guinea pigs, spoil sports that they are

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You could go for a standard enzyme experiment? I wish I could have done one on that :tongue:

Also your experiment idea... I can guarantee you that you'd have got extremely bored of it :tongue:
Original post by emmiemce
Does anyone have the answers to the 2002 section b question 1? I'm really stuck on the data handling question :frown:

I'm afraid some of us don't have access to papers that far back. I'd be more than happy to help if you can find a way to get the question to us on the forum!

I have the answers for that paper. Which question do you need the answers for?
Reply 15
Question 1 please :smile:
Question 1 please :smile:

I'm not sure which parts of question 1 you want so I'll just write out all parts:

1a) Any one of the following: exit from mitosis, anaphase or description of chromatid separation, cytokinesis/cytoplasmic division

b) 12.7% (12.66, 12.67 or 12.6654 acceptable)

c)i) tubulin
ii) Any 1 of the following: spindle fibres, alignment of chromosomes (on metaphase plate), separation of chromatids, pull chromosomes/chromatids to opposite poles
iii) centrosome/microtubule organising centre/centriole

d) takes place during anaphase and telophase OR cytokinesis starts during anaphase after telophase / 1 minute after telophase

e) Description of trends saying the percentages or proportions at anaphase and one other stage in the table and the figures are about equal / link between % mitotic cells and time from Figure 1 established, Evidence of appropriate % calculation to justify statement

f)i) S phase / synthesis phase
ii) G2 and M

g) Oncogene / mutated proto-oncogene

h) Tumour cell interphase is shorter / last only half the time (43%) of normal cells (87%) / bigger proportion of cells dividing / mitotic index is greater in tumour culture (57% vs 12% in normal), distribution of cells in mitosis stages is different / duration of stages is different / or example (bigger proportion in anaphase in tumour culture)

i) Different sample sizes or equivalent / % is independent of sample size

There you go :smile:
Reply 17
Thank you very much!! It was pretty much all parts anyway :smile:
Thank you very much!! It was pretty much all parts anyway :smile:

If you need any explanations as to why the answer is a certain thing, feel free to ask. :smile:
Does anyone know how often the essays repeat themselves or anything? Is it worth typing up answers to the past 5 or 6 years of essays to 'cover' the potential essays that will come up or are there so many essays that could come up I'm just as well making sure I cover all areas of the course in enough depth that I could answer an essay on them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending