The Student Room Group

Tuition Fee status

Hi TSR ,

I wish to get few things clarified on here , seeing that it is a platform full of people that are knowledgeable on issues dealing with tuition fee, etc.

Here goes...

Basically I started first year of my degree as an International student since I didn't fulfill one of the requirement ( the "settled status") anyhow , now upon further searching I have realised that I will be paying the same fee for the rest of my course , even though I have acquired the "settled in" status.

I want to know whether there is a way/s of having my enrollment status reevaluated , a friend of mine suggested changing degree type within the same university ( so that would be a downgrade from Msci to Bsc even though I wish to pursue a Ph.D ).

If the above scenario is not possible , then I may ask for a transfer to else where (3rd year of my course since it is a bit late now for that ) ...

P.S : Another obvious way of going about this would be by restarting the degree BUT that would be a massive setback , not to mention waste of roughly 17-18k ...

Could I ask for a loan of the same amount for a short time ...

P.P.S:
I have even applied for SFE which is under process right now , though I doubt if they will give me the loan... if they do.. what a sight would that be... :/

Sorry for my long post but I appreciated your responses .
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone ?
No, you have to have achieved settled status by the date that your course commenced, so you'll be stuck with international status.

It's a rubbish policy, because I've known people one day away from fulfilling the requirements, but it's all laid out in the legislation and they won't budge on it. There's no discretion.

Be careful if SFE do give you the loan - they get a lot of things wrong, and they can demand it back immediately if it is wrong. Make sure that you have been judged entitled somehow, before you touch the money.

As for dropping out and restarting - I think that the relevant date would then change, but it's very drastic!
Reply 3
Original post by WordsAndPictures
No, you have to have achieved settled status by the date that your course commenced, so you'll be stuck with international status.

It's a rubbish policy, because I've known people one day away from fulfilling the requirements, but it's all laid out in the legislation and they won't budge on it. There's no discretion.

Be careful if SFE do give you the loan - they get a lot of things wrong, and they can demand it back immediately if it is wrong. Make sure that you have been judged entitled somehow, before you touch the money.

As for dropping out and restarting - I think that the relevant date would then change, but it's very drastic!

I genuinely hope for that to happen , by some luck. It's worth a try , otherwise I have no choice but to ask the bank for loan.

Btw. Would I be eligible for EU/UK fee , in the scenario of transferring to elsewhere?

P.S : I appreciate your response.
Reply 4
Great just got my loan application rejected with HSBC...
Does anyone know of any other bank that provides loan to students ? :s
P.s I have spoken to student finance , they have yet to asses it .
Reply 5
On a totally unrelated note , If I carry on studying as an international student this year then ask for a transfer to another uni (3rd year) , what are the chances of my fee status getting re-assessed , does it happen ?

Can someone shed some light on this matter.

Thanks.
Reply 6
Banks will be wary to give you loans as you are a student you won't have much, if any, disposable income.

I would ask for transfer now if you can. That is if it gets you reassessed as a Home fee student. I have no idea if it will.

Just a couple of notes from your first post.
1) You can go in to a PhD from a BSc with good grades and some form of work experience. Try to get a summer internship? For the sciences I know they're quite common around 2nd/3rd year summer. You could always do an MSc/MRes after the BSc, should provide more weight to a PhD application. You'll need good references regardless of which route you take which might be hindered by transferring Uni/Course. That said I got a fantastic reference from a supervisor I'd only know for 8 months.

2) The first year of a Uni courses tend to be the same from Uni to Uni. i.e. for my Biology undergrad, the first year was pretty much the same wherever you go. They start to differentiate from second year onwards, which is why it might be advisable to ask if you could start from the second year on the course at another uni.

Just thought you might want a little bit of insight in to the situation. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the money matters.
Reply 7
Original post by Zorg
Banks will be wary to give you loans as you are a student you won't have much, if any, disposable income.

I would ask for transfer now if you can. That is if it gets you reassessed as a Home fee student. I have no idea if it will.

Just a couple of notes from your first post.
1) You can go in to a PhD from a BSc with good grades and some form of work experience. Try to get a summer internship? For the sciences I know they're quite common around 2nd/3rd year summer. You could always do an MSc/MRes after the BSc, should provide more weight to a PhD application. You'll need good references regardless of which route you take which might be hindered by transferring Uni/Course. That said I got a fantastic reference from a supervisor I'd only know for 8 months.

2) The first year of a Uni courses tend to be the same from Uni to Uni. i.e. for my Biology undergrad, the first year was pretty much the same wherever you go. They start to differentiate from second year onwards, which is why it might be advisable to ask if you could start from the second year on the course at another uni.

Just thought you might want a little bit of insight in to the situation. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the money matters.

You have made some good points there. I am definitely going to apply for internships.
Does anyone else know whether I will be eligible for the lower fee if I transfer to somewhere else ? It will be hard but I can't afford it any other way.

btw. Thanks for your reply , much appreciate it !
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by liftorrot
You have made some good points there. I am definitely going to apply for internships.
Does anyone else know whether I will be eligible for the lower fee if I transfer to somewhere else ? It will be hard but I can't afford it any other way.

btw. Thanks for your reply , much appreciate it !

No problem :smile:
Just send and email out to your tutor or finance dept. They're probably best placed to give you a decision.
Reply 9
Guys, SFE has me eligible ... thoughts ?
Reply 10
I suppose this could just workout.

Fee is roughly 13.5k so apart from the maximum allowed loan of 9k + maintenance loan (2-3k), means I will need another grand or so.

Now I know that SFE will contact the uni. to ask about my attendance. (is that all they ask ?)
Are payments made in installments and there is no mention of grant, given that my household income is less than 25000 :/
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending