The Student Room Group

4th A level or extended project (EPQ)?

hey all! (hope this is in the right section?)
I'm about to start year 13 next week, I've taken As levels in Biology, Physics and art & design, I have a whole A level in maths an will take on another a level in further maths next year along with my other 3 subjects (couldn't decide what to drop on results day). I also do Duke of Edinburgh gold and EPQ as extra curricular activities (wont finish d of e by the time I've left school, but will have expeditions, skill and volunteering done, if not more).
So my question is should I drop EPQ or one of my a2 subjects (would be biology or art, art has been much harder, but more enjoyable so far) or should I keep on with all of them (wondering if I'll survive the year if I did this)?

Obviously unis like EPQ for the research skills and as extra curricular stuff, but it's equivalent to an AS, whereas I could have an A level in a subject that might not be particularly related to my course choice (art if doing a science course, or sciences if doing an art course), that might show I live outside my chosen course too?

Reply 1
i did both and it was no pressure, did the epq in by february from october, easy as piss, basically a free A but no use since you'll have applied on ucas by then, but so is a 4th a2.

so do it for yourself and no-one, unless your uni specifies a 4th AS, etc.
Reply 2
thanks for the reply, I'm just kind of worried that I'll say "ooh I'm doing EPQ" if I have an interview or on my personal statement and end up with a D or something due to other priorities (coursework from art e.t.c.). Is it ill-advised to write it on my statement in this case? especially since we haven't started it properly either (which is annoying, since we could've started it from Christmas if our teacher had made us work for it, I guess we're just as much to blame though ^^!).
I guess I might be able to find extra time with me not having driving lessons anymore or something though?
Reply 3
Personally, I would recommend that if your results in Yr12 were all fairly consistent, it would be worth taking the 4th A-Level and dropping the EPQ. My logic is this: If you're heading off to uni next year, your offer is likely to be a three-grade offer, and by taking 4 subjects, you maximise your chances of meeting this offer. It is of course possible that, in this case, unis make a four-grade offer, but in all honesty, this is rather unlikely. So increase your chances of meeting your offer would be my honest advice, unless there are other factors that I have overlooked. :smile:
Original post by Chris Evans
Personally, I would recommend that if your results in Yr12 were all fairly consistent, it would be worth taking the 4th A-Level and dropping the EPQ. My logic is this: If you're heading off to uni next year, your offer is likely to be a three-grade offer, and by taking 4 subjects, you maximise your chances of meeting this offer. It is of course possible that, in this case, unis make a four-grade offer, but in all honesty, this is rather unlikely. So increase your chances of meeting your offer would be my honest advice, unless there are other factors that I have overlooked. :smile:

That's terrible advice. Seemingly forgetting that taking on more A levels means more work and could detract from what you could achieve in other subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by AspiringGenius
That's terrible advice. Seemingly forgetting that taking on more A levels means more work and could detract from what you could achieve in other subjects.

I think this user has missed the point the thread starter made above, that they are considering doing either the 4th A-Level or the Extended Project. My response is stating that, in my opinion, a fourth A-level would be a better option, for the reason I stated above. Also, my English teacher once remarked to me that there is no solid evidence that doing a 4th A-Level leads to lower marks across all subjects - if anything, it appears to lead to less complacency and better results. I can vouch for this, I decided to take on 4 subjects and came out with far higher than my university offer. Obviously the thread starter has to decide this for themselves ultimately, but I wouldn't post unless I felt I had some sound advice to add.
Original post by nanodesu512
hey all! (hope this is in the right section?)
I'm about to start year 13 next week, I've taken As levels in Biology, Physics and art & design, I have a whole A level in maths an will take on another a level in further maths next year along with my other 3 subjects (couldn't decide what to drop on results day). I also do Duke of Edinburgh gold and EPQ as extra curricular activities (wont finish d of e by the time I've left school, but will have expeditions, skill and volunteering done, if not more).
So my question is should I drop EPQ or one of my a2 subjects (would be biology or art, art has been much harder, but more enjoyable so far) or should I keep on with all of them (wondering if I'll survive the year if I did this)?

Obviously unis like EPQ for the research skills and as extra curricular stuff, but it's equivalent to an AS, whereas I could have an A level in a subject that might not be particularly related to my course choice (art if doing a science course, or sciences if doing an art course), that might show I live outside my chosen course too?

at every single university open day i have been to there has been a student put their hand up and ask the admissions tutor 'what are your views on the EPQ?' and their response is always something along the lines of 'i know your school will have told you that universities value this, but i dont care about it. i have to take into account that many students will never have even had the opportunity to do an EPQ meaning that i cant rate you higher than them for having it'.

So in my opinion i'd say go for the a level :smile:
Reply 7
unless you have low grades and need ucas pts go for a2, if 3 you only need 3 grades, go epq, all this stupid advice about taking 4 a-levels to improve chances in getting 3 ok is uninformed, some offers wont include a2s that are totally irrelevant, i.e. arts in medicine. so it depends on what you're going for.
Reply 8
Original post by darkfang77
unless you have low grades and need ucas pts go for a2, if 3 you only need 3 grades, go epq, all this stupid advice about taking 4 a-levels to improve chances in getting 3 ok is uninformed, some offers wont include a2s that are totally irrelevant, i.e. arts in medicine. so it depends on what you're going for.

It appears that once again I need to explain why my advice is sound (and it is very important that I do so, because those not crediting my advice are misleading the original poster).

Yes, in all likelihood, you will require three grades next year, not four. However, I will give you the case of a good friend of mine from Yr 13. She had an Oxford offer of AAA, and took an EPQ as well as three A2 subjects. She ultimately missed that offer, achieving AAB with an A* in the EPQ. The cause of this appeared to be a strange Politics paper in which the entire class had performed poorly. Such marking issues occur every single year (you only need to look in the remark section of TSR to discover this is true.) If you are choosing between an EPQ and a fourth subject ( and definitely want to do one or the other), it is clear, from my perspective, that given the universities cannot give offers based on EPQs given their lack of availability, the fourth subject is far more sensible. The vast majority of offers (yes, there are exceptions in certain fields but these are very very rare) with be of three grades across any of your subjects, and the fourth A-Level most definitely provides a better option than an EPQ in terms of meeting this offer. EPQs are great, I'm not denying that, but I must stress, getting into university is imperative, ultimately, and the 4th subject looks good on an application, and can be a massive help after that point.
Reply 9
It appears that once again I need to explain why my advice is sound (and it is very important that I do so, because those not crediting my advice are misleading the original poster).

Yes, in all likelihood, you will require three grades next year, not four. However, I will give you the case of a good friend of mine from Yr 13. She had an Oxford offer of AAA, and took an EPQ as well as three A2 subjects. She ultimately missed that offer, achieving AAB with an A* in the EPQ. The cause of this appeared to be a strange Politics paper in which the entire class had performed poorly. Such marking issues occur every single year (you only need to look in the remark section of TSR to discover this is true.) If you are choosing between an EPQ and a fourth subject ( and definitely want to do one or the other), it is clear, from my perspective, that given the universities cannot give offers based on EPQs given their lack of availability, the fourth subject is far more sensible. The vast majority of offers (yes, there are exceptions in certain fields but these are very very rare) with be of three grades across any of your subjects, and the fourth A-Level most definitely provides a better option than an EPQ in terms of meeting this offer. EPQs are great, I'm not denying that, but I must stress, getting into university is imperative, ultimately, and the 4th subject looks good on an application, and can be a massive help after that point.

OP needs to listen to this advice. A fourth A-Level can be a safety net as Chris Evans has said. The EPQ can't do this. Also from my experience, universities aren't that bothered by the EPQ, for example, I went to Cambridge on their open day and actually had to explain to one of the tutors what the EPQ was!
Reply 10
at my college the extended project was just a way of doing 3 a levels (they kicked you out if you did less than 3). from what iv heard it isnt very useful, you probably get ucas points for it and it may be used as an extra thing in your favour.

as for a 4th a level, it looks much better, but is also lots more work, and may divert your attention away from the other subjects, thus getting 4 average grades instead of 3 good grades.

but unless iv misunderstood (which i probably have) you say you have an A level in maths already. so with biology, physics and art you will have 4 alevels already? you certainly dont need another subject to have 5 a levels, or even 4 alevels and any other qualification like extended project.
Reply 11
Original post by darkfang77
i did both and it was no pressure, did the epq in by february from october, easy as piss, basically a free A but no use since you'll have applied on ucas by then, but so is a 4th a2.

so do it for yourself and no-one, unless your uni specifies a 4th AS, etc.

Hey :smile: Out of interest what did you do it on? And what kind of stuff did you do for research?

Yes, in all likelihood, you will require three grades next year, not four. However, I will give you the case of a good friend of mine from Yr 13. She had an Oxford offer of AAA, and took an EPQ as well as three A2 subjects. She ultimately missed that offer, achieving AAB with an A* in the EPQ. The cause of this appeared to be a strange Politics paper in which the entire class had performed poorly. Such marking issues occur every single year (you only need to look in the remark section of TSR to discover this is true.) If you are choosing between an EPQ and a fourth subject ( and definitely want to do one or the other), it is clear, from my perspective, that given the universities cannot give offers based on EPQs given their lack of availability, the fourth subject is far more sensible. The vast majority of offers (yes, there are exceptions in certain fields but these are very very rare) with be of three grades across any of your subjects, and the fourth A-Level ost definitely provides a better option than an EPQ in terms of meeting this offer. EPQs are great, I'm not denying that, but I must stress, getting into university is im perative, ultimately, and the 4th subject looks good on an application, a nd can be a massive help after that point.

Let me counter that, I happen to know certain courses/unis that also accept 3 A-levels only, but all sittings must be B or above, even on a 4th A-level. From that view, your 'friend' may not have been able to meet this criteria.

I also agree that if you nail a 4th A-level it looks great, but if it comes out low, there's no point. OP, i would ajustcmy advice to you, add the 4th A-level, but don't attend the exams, would look great on appl. and saves me trying to re-iterate my point that 3 a-levels still work.

Since I'm saying, an EPQ is a flexible easy AS, which lets you meet the '4th AS' criteria for several courses, without the stress of extra exams since epqs are done by may-ish,also allowing you to nail 3 good ASs for higher UMS and making an A that much easier.
Original post by cakefreak
Hey :smile: Out of interest what did you do it on? And what kind of stuff did you do for research?

The Black Death. Quite interesting! Went through books/maps/medical data usually.
EPQ may help you in your first year of university. You will already have experience of doing a large piece of written work, that was motivated by yourself rather than teachers, as well as how to reference.
Reply 15
Thanks for the replies everyone, interesting to hear some universities aren't gagging for EPQ as my teachers (and generally other threads seem to have implied).
The main problem with EPQ is that I don't know what uni corse I'll do, so it may be quite different from the EPQ subject (although the research skills would still be useful).

Also my plan for taking 4 a2s is to talk to one of the subject tutors (for either biology or art) and just say that whichever one I choose will be lower priority.

Also, If I did all 4 subjects I would end up with 5 a levels in total (whoever asked, can't figure out how to quote on here), but I won't have critical thinking or general studies, and I'm keeping my options open because I have no idea what to do at uni (whether to go art or science).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by lightburns
EPQ may help you in your first year of university. You will already have experience of doing a large piece of written work, that was motivated by yourself rather than teachers, as well as how to reference.

This. Also, what will you be applying for at university? If if it likely that you will be interviewed then the Extended Project is something that will make a great topic to discuss.

I totally agree with his - exam boards are not to be trusted, and it's easy to get an unfair mark, or weird paper, and lose out on one of the As you thought was in the bag. I got 70 in my AS history this summer, despite grades in other subjects in the 90s, and History is my strongest subject. No advance on a remark. So I'm making sure I do 4 A2s in case it happens again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending