The Student Room Group

Ian Brady: Do you think Ian Brady actually knows the location of Keith Bennett?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jim-Jam
Why do they have to wait till he's dead to open the letter? Just open it, he lost his rights when he sexually assaulted, killed, and then buried children, in this case never to be found again.

They have to wait until he's dead to open the autobiography, not the letter. The only reason they haven't opened that is because they can't find it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 41
Original post by Jim-Jam
Why do they have to wait till he's dead to open the letter? Just open it, he lost his rights when he sexually assaulted, killed, and then buried children, in this case never to be found again.

They have searched for it. Apparently (as you may have heard from the scandal last month), his mental health assistant had it, but when police got involved with her and tried to find it, she gave it back to Brady who destroyed it.
Original post by lizolove
The woman did the crime, so should have had the time. Regardless of whether she participated, she also kept it from the police, and did so on numerous occasions. If all criminals merely said 'I'm sorry for doing it', they would all be released, because they'd all claim to be apologetic for their actions, knowing they'd be released.

I agree that she was more human in admitting her wrongfulness and repenting, but at the same time, she did take the lives of innocent children, and shouldn't have been let out merely for apologising in fear that; A - she may do it again, B - she did the crime, and should do the time, or the system of justice in the UK would be a mockery and based on the specifics of the case and how 'innocent' the person appears, rather than setting a general constant standard for others who do the same.

my point was they were sure she had reformed, and she had also done 16 years longer than the judge had said she should- the point was that she was kept in jail purely because of the notoriety of the case, the home secretary kept increasing her sentance just because of the public reaction each time parole for her was mentioned

imo that is wrong, regardless of how abhorrent the crimes were, if a judge gives a sentance that is what should be served, it should not be extended by the home secretary just because it was an infamous murder and the public says so, only if she was deemed still a threat and many people who worked with her confirmed she wasnt

im not sticking up for hindley by the way, at all, just what i see as a blatant manipulation of the justice system
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Yes, he definitely knows. Apparently anyone who was out with him in 1987 and observed his body language could see that; being "disoriented" was seemingly one of his little games and it's said he got himself into a position where he could see the grave to put his own mind at rest wrt. it being undisturbed. His "walking with purpose", some say, was to distract the police and drag them away from a site they wanted to dig up - possibly the real grave site? I hope to God the police kept notes on that so they can go back later.

That said, the ground up there is reportedly soft and peaty which means the body could have shifted a short distance of its own accord over the years.
Reply 44
Original post by badcheesecrispy
my point was they were sure she had reformed, and she had also done 16 years longer than the judge had said she should- the point was that she was kept in jail purely because of the notoriety of the case, the home secretary kept increasing her sentance just because of the public reaction each time parole for her was mentioned

imo that is wrong, regardless of how abhorrent the crimes were, if a judge gives a sentance that is what should be served, it should not be extended by the home secretary just because it was an infamous murder and the public says so, only if she was deemed still a threat and many people who worked with her confirmed she wasnt

im not sticking up for hindley by the way, at all, just what i see as a blatant manipulation of the justice system

Are you sure that is why she wasn't released? They confessed to two more child murders in the eighties, so her maximum sentence could have actually been close to ninety years.
I see your point though, if you were right about why she was kept in. Personally I don't think anyone who has ever molested a child (or worse, in this case) should ever be released. Our legal system is too light on them. But still, under current laws your point is valid.

Reply 45
Also, if we are still sticking with the story that Brady IS alive and we're not being lied to, he is officially superhuman. The 74 year old man has now survived a month without food, which is on top of his medical conditions is pretty much impossible.
If he'd have voluntarily ended his hunger strike it would have been in the papers, as would it be if they'd found a new method of feeding him, so it is starting to look more and more likely that my theory was right.

Reply 46
Part of me thinks he cant remember where the boys body is buried and is just being his usual controlling self.The other part of me thinks he knows exactly where it is, and is keeping the location to himself.He has ruled that little boys family lives since he killed him.That poor mother went to her grave not knowing where her sons body is, unable to give him the decent burial she wanted to.
Reply 47
Original post by badcheesecrispy

I can see where you're coming from, but personally think I disagree. Whilst the justice system can often be biased, if Hindley had received parole, there would have been an uproar, so in a sense, the interference from the home secretary was beneficial.
I doubt they would waste so many resources and so much time with these changes had they not believed it was beneficial in some way.
The system is far too lenient I believe, as life nowadays often doesn't mean life. If it did, the Hindley issue may not have occurred. (The fact that her sentence was extended etc)
Reply 48
Original post by ch0llima
Yes, he definitely knows. Apparently anyone who was out with him in 1987 and observed his body language could see that; being "disoriented" was seemingly one of his little games and it's said he got himself into a position where he could see the grave to put his own mind at rest wrt. it being undisturbed. His "walking with purpose", some say, was to distract the police and drag them away from a site they wanted to dig up - possibly the real grave site? I hope to God the police kept notes on that so they can go back later.

That said, the ground up there is reportedly soft and peaty which means the body could have shifted a short distance of its own accord over the years.

I wonder how far it could actually go though. I mean, if they saw and recognised his dodgy signals, they could re-search the local area after it.
Reply 49
Original post by MrTwist
Are you sure that is why she wasn't released? They confessed to two more child murders in the eighties, so her maximum sentence could have actually been close to ninety years.
I see your point though, if you were right about why she was kept in. Personally I don't think anyone who has ever molested a child (or worse, in this case) should ever be released. Our legal system is too light on them. But still, under current laws your point is valid.

This is what I'm confused with. Maybe she didn't confess but only confessed to keeping it from the police?
I'll do some research now.
Reply 50
Original post by MrTwist
Also, if we are still sticking with the story that Brady IS alive and we're not being lied to, he is officially superhuman. The 74 year old man has now survived a month without food, which is on top of his medical conditions is pretty much impossible.
If he'd have voluntarily ended his hunger strike it would have been in the papers, as would it be if they'd found a new method of feeding him, so it is starting to look more and more likely that my theory was right.

That you know of. The newspapers aren't always right, and might essentially manipulate the facts to get readers/might not have been told the details...
Reply 51
Original post by Annie72
Part of me thinks he cant remember where the boys body is buried and is just being his usual controlling self.The other part of me thinks he knows exactly where it is, and is keeping the location to himself.He has ruled that little boys family lives since he killed him.That poor mother went to her grave not knowing where her sons body is, unable to give him the decent burial she wanted to.

Exactly what I think. :frown:
he may not remember, things may of changed or he maybe playing a game - we will never know

not remembering... it is possible, everybody has forgotton something at some time especially when your out somewhere in the wild with no massively distinguishable landmarks

things may of change.... my dad was a digger driver and the sad truth is when digging foundations the often come across skelatons and remains and ofetn just re-bury them (there not supposed too but if they dont the site gets shut down and there out of work for months at a time with bills to pay and families to feed while archaeologist piss around trying to figure out what century there from)

he maybe playing a game... the greatest criminal mystery was always who was jack the ripper, everyone knows that name because every wants to know the answer, same with this - if he dies without saying it will forever be a mystery so will forever be remembered
Reply 53
Original post by lizolove
That you know of. The newspapers aren't always right, and might essentially manipulate the facts to get readers/might not have been told the details...

It isn't that papers I'm basing it on though. Is was over a month ago that he was said to have had a seizure, and hospital staff said that meant they could no longer force feed him because he damaged his spine. He was then taken back to Ashworth and the hospital staff said he probably wouldn't survive the week.
After that the papers just stopped reporting on it, excluding bits and pieces about information from years ago.

Personally I think he does know.

Serial killers like Brady tend to be able to remember their crimes in incredible detail, even many years later, because they feed off it. I say a serial killer documentary once, where a criminal psychology said you can ask a serial killer what they had for dinner the previous day, and they might not remember. However, ask them something about a crime they committed many years ago, and they can recount it in scarily accurate detail.

Now of course, Brady may be an exception to the rule, but I don't think he is.

Some believe that when he took them to the moors to try and find Keith's body, he took them to the spot (or very close to it), and only pretended to not remember.

If he does know, I hope in his last breath (which hopefully will be one day very soon), he does just one decent thing and tells all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending