The Student Room Group
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website

University of Buckingham

Hi everyone out there, I am starting English literature at the University of Buckingham in September. I was wondering if there is anybody out there that can give me first hand experiences at what it is like out there. If you are able to answer the following questions I have that would be great: 1. I am staying at Beloff house, can anyone tell me what it's like? 2. What is the course like and what do you do? 3. How does the course differ from a-level? 3. What is the student union like? Clubs etc. 3. How did you cope making friends and getting to know the teachers there? and 4. What do I need to do to "survive" there?

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated, I have tried finding other stuff stuff on the internet but none helped.

Also if anyone else is going please let know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Stewart993
Hi everyone out there, I am starting English literature at the University of Buckingham in September. I was wondering if there is anybody out there that can give me first hand experiences at what it is like out there. If you are able to answer the following questions I have that would be great: 1. I am staying at Beloff house, can anyone tell me what it's like? 2. What is the course like and what do you do? 3. How does the course differ from a-level? 3. What is the student union like? Clubs etc. 3. How did you cope making friends and getting to know the teachers there? and 4. What do I need to do to "survive" there?

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated, I have tried finding other stuff stuff on the internet but none helped.

Also if anyone else is going please let know.

The Buckingham thread is here.

1. Beloff House is the best accommodation block at Bucks, congratulations. There are two ensuite places, Beloff and Harris, but Beloff is easily superior socially and due to the fact that it's simply not on the Verney Park campus.

2. I only know one person doing that course, and spoke to her once, but she was flattering towards it and enjoys it. The languages department is the best in my experience at the university.

3. The SU and the social life is rubbish in general and the only "club" in town is little more than a joke. More details in the thread above.

4. To survive, acquire music/TV shows/films in order to cope with the lack of a social life.
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey,

I'm also starting in September (well, next week) and am doing History with English Literature, so will be in some of your lectures :smile:

As for your questions, i have no idea! I live only 10 minutes away from the university so will not be staying in university accomodation. But living nearby i know that the night life in Buckingham isn't great. If you're after a good night out you'd probably need to go to Oxford or Milton Keynes, but i'm sure there are plenty of pubs around Buckingham if you wanted a quieter night.

I'll look forward to meeting you,

Lucy
Reply 3
Original post by LucyAnn94
Hey,

I'm also starting in September (well, next week) and am doing History with English Literature, so will be in some of your lectures :smile:

As for your questions, i have no idea! I live only 10 minutes away from the university so will not be staying in university accomodation. But living nearby i know that the night life in Buckingham isn't great. If you're after a good night out you'd probably need to go to Oxford or Milton Keynes, but i'm sure there are plenty of pubs around Buckingham if you wanted a quieter night.

I'll look forward to meeting you,

Lucy

There are plenty, but of them I would only recommend the Mitre and the Woolpack. The former provides free pool on Tuesdays and the latter has the best food of all pubs in town, provides real ale and has a decent outside space.

Both at least clean their taps out more regularly than the White Hart for example. Beer quality in there is sketchy at best and when we last went to play pool, the cue ball had been stolen.

The Woolpack is definitely the best overall though due to the younger crowd it attracts as well. The only downside is that they probably know that they're the best so they charge more. It's worth it in my opinion as the social scene is otherwise pathetic.
I will be starting at Buckingham on Friday. I have looked on the Uni website for info on Fresher's Week and it seems to start on Friday and finish on Sunday... Can anyone tell me if it actually continues for the whole of the next week (starting October 1st) or if we go straight into lectures etc. on the Monday (1st)? Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Katie London
I will be starting at Buckingham on Friday. I have looked on the Uni website for info on Fresher's Week and it seems to start on Friday and finish on Sunday... Can anyone tell me if it actually continues for the whole of the next week (starting October 1st) or if we go straight into lectures etc. on the Monday (1st)? Thanks

I think I remember somewhere that freshers is only for the weekend, there is a list of events on their website (some are mandatory). Just type 'freshers events Buckingham' onto google and it should give you the list.
Reply 6
Original post by Katie London

October 1st is the first day of lectures for everybody.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending