The Student Room Group

EPQ, or no EPQ?

I start my EPQ in October, at the same time as when I will have already applied to my 5 selected universities; is there any point doing it because of this?

What should I do?
Reply 1
If you do a project relevent to the course you want to do, it looks very good on your personal statement, and a good talking point during any interviews you may have.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Reply 2
You can put it on your personal statement even if you haven't done it yet. Just say what skills you expect to develop through doing it and how they relate to the course you want to do. If any of the universities require an interview, this should happen after you've started your EPQ, so you can talk about what you've actually done there.
Reply 3
I was in the same situation last year. There was about 7 of us during AS and then once everyone applied to uni, 5 of them just chose to not do it anymore yet they went on about it in their personal statements.
Mine was relevant to my degree and I learnt a lot so I completed mine but it does take up quite a lot of time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
It's absolutely essential you do it on a topic that interests you.

I'd also start collecting information and sources straight away.

Who grades the EPQ? Is it your teacher or an external examiner?
Reply 6
Original post by laura111294
Who grades the EPQ? Is it your teacher or an external examiner?

Your teacher marks it, and then it is externally moderated.

Reply 7
I just did EPQ on medicine 2 years earlier (when I was taking GCSEs) and got an A*, it was kind of easy I guess - but I managed to do a little bit at a time frequently, and got the project done in 6 weeks straight. :smile: I would say do it if you have the time, its very valuable and increases ucas points? It shows your independent working capability and thorough interests in your subject...

Quick Reply

Latest