The Student Room Group

Illustration in Cardiff, Swansea and Glyndŵr - any advice about unis, please?

Hi all. :smile:

I have to apply for 2013 entry until 15th October, but I am still not sure about universities.

Can anyone tell me anything about Illustration courses in Cardiff Metropolian, Swansea Metropolian and Glyndŵr Universities?
From what I see Cardiff has pretty high requirements, but that doesn't necessary mean high level of education for this particular course I want...

Or maybe you definitely dissuade those unis?
I really want to study in Wales, it seems to be a quiet place, from what I see most forested in the UK and fairly cheap (talking about renting a flat a little bit far away from city centre, I don't want to live in crowded place).

Scotland seems pretty similar too, but they barely have any Illustration courses...

The thing is, that I would rather live in Scotland or England than go to bad uni.
Can someone give any advice? Please. :C
Reply 1
So, no one can help me? :C What a pitty.
Reply 2
Hello Anastazy!

I'm studying Illustration (specifically Illustration for Children's Publishing) at Glyndŵr University - I've just finished my second year. I'm afraid I can only speak for Glyndŵr as I didn't look at Cardiff or Swansea at all, but I can tell you that I've been loving my time at University.

Are you interested in General Illustration or any specific course like Graphic Novels and Illustration for Children's Publishing? The General Illustration course is a little different as it's more of a commercial course than GN or ICP. From what I understand it's a bit of a demanding course, but you get to try a little of everything throughout the years in order to find your niche.

As with every University, the organisation can be a little all over the place, but the teaching staff are very friendly and have plenty of experience so you can always go to them when they're free, or e-mail them if they're not around. The course is generally well-structured and you get a good few competition and live briefs to test out how well you work with clients and deadlines.

In terms of requirements for getting on the course, I think Glyndŵr doesn't require super high grades, but if you get to interview stage, then it's all about your portfolio. The tutors want to see a good range of skills and work, including both finished final pieces and any development work to see your drawing style and process. I went from a college BTEC (I got double Merit on National Certificate), had a good interview and it paid off.

I hope this helps a little, sorry if it didn't! Feel free to ask me anything else you'd like to know! =)
Reply 3
Thank you very much for answering me.

What you said about this uni is very good, this sounds like a friendly place. ^^
I wasn't sure how it is with Glyndŵr, but after you said I think I have to apply to this uni as well.

I have some more questions though. I hope you can answer me.
1. Is Glyndŵr an open and full of tolerance place? I suppose art school should be, but you never know. What I am asking specifically is gay situation. Do gay students hear rude comments or something?
2. Does public transport work well? And I mean buses from country side to the centre of Wrexham. (I don't want details, of course, but if you just know if transport exist - that's just great! It is all I need for now, lol)
3. Most important question... Could you please show me your portfolio or examples of how it should looks like? I do not want to copy or follow your ideas. I just need to know how it looks like in general, because I know I have to show them my skills along with my personallity and my style, but I don't know how it should looks... My portfolio has to be sent by electronical way, because I am not from the UK and it will be hard enough to get on interview, sending my portfolio via post will be to stressful... :frown: Can I add a comment to each picture (if I would need to), should I maybe make a Power Point presentation (that's lame, but who knows)? I have never done a portfolio before, so I really don't know what form it should have... Any advice would be appreciated.
4. Do you know any forum or a website for illustrators and/or wannabe illustrators based in the UK? I would really want to meet some people from Unis I plan to apply to, but I simply don't know where to look...

Thank you very much (again) for answering me.
Reply 4
Original post by Anastazy
Thank you very much for answering me.

What you said about this uni is very good, this sounds like a friendly place. ^^
I wasn't sure how it is with Glyndŵr, but after you said I think I have to apply to this uni as well.

I have some more questions though. I hope you can answer me.
1. Is Glyndŵr an open and full of tolerance place? I suppose art school should be, but you never know. What I am asking specifically is gay situation. Do gay students hear rude comments or something?
2. Does public transport work well? And I mean buses from country side to the centre of Wrexham. (I don't want details, of course, but if you just know if transport exist - that's just great! It is all I need for now, lol)
3. Most important question... Could you please show me your portfolio or examples of how it should looks like? I do not want to copy or follow your ideas. I just need to know how it looks like in general, because I know I have to show them my skills along with my personallity and my style, but I don't know how it should looks... My portfolio has to be sent by electronical way, because I am not from the UK and it will be hard enough to get on interview, sending my portfolio via post will be to stressful... :frown: Can I add a comment to each picture (if I would need to), should I maybe make a Power Point presentation (that's lame, but who knows)? I have never done a portfolio before, so I really don't know what form it should have... Any advice would be appreciated.
4. Do you know any forum or a website for illustrators and/or wannabe illustrators based in the UK? I would really want to meet some people from Unis I plan to apply to, but I simply don't know where to look...

Thank you very much (again) for answering me.

I start at Wrexham doing Theatre Television and Performance next week, and I don't know about your course or the attitudes towards gay people, although I'm sure there'll be no rude comments - but I live rurally and there's a bus from my nearest town into the centre of Wrexham every couple of hours, so you should be ok when it comes to transport :smile:
Reply 5
Great to know that, thank you very much!
Generally as far as I know, public transport in the UK is well developed, but I wasn't sure. ^^

I hope Azouie will answer rest of the questions. :smile:
Reply 6
Hello again, sorry for the late reply!

As far as I know, there is a whole lot of tolerance at Glyndŵr of all people of different beliefs, and certainly tolerance of gay people - there is an LGBT society at the student guild on the main campus, and the majority of people would not say anything rude about it anyway.

In terms of transport in Wrexham, there's a bus station just 10 minutes' walk from the art building, which has both local buses and coaches. There's also a train station across the road from the art building, and a smaller station with only one or two destinations in the town centre.

At the moment I don't have much of my old portfolio work on my computer, but I can try and help as much as I can without it, haha!
I think a Powerpoint would actually be fine! You could put a few images on one slide for a particular theme or project, then put a little comment about what you did, and how you felt about it. Just include whatever you are proud of, and as long as you show a range of skills and techniques you'll be fine. =)

As for forums...I'm not really sure! I only used YouGo, which is a forum via UCAS for all students waiting to go to University, and I spoke to a few art students going to Glyndŵr.
A good website for illustrators to use is the AOI - The Association of Illustrators. It's an organisation and community for illustrators to promote themselves and help to protect their rights.
Also, if you're on Facebook, you can always create a group with your classmates, and share anything else you might find - my class has done this and it's really helpful!

I hope this helps! Best of luck in whatever you choose!
Reply 7
Oh, no problem and thank you so much for answering me.

It all sounds really nice and I didn't even expect it to be so good.^^

Actually, I did not know about YouGO nor AOI. I am just about going to check it out.
Your help was priceless, really.
Thank you again. ^^

Now I just need to find similar information about any other universities. XD
Reply 8
You're welcome, any time! Glad I could be of help. =)

Good luck with finding out about the other Universities!

Quick Reply

Latest