The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I never actually wrote to places about work experience, I just went along and asked... it must be said that the community hospital took about 3 months to get back to me, but I doubt they'd have been any faster had I written them a letter.

I think by going along in person, they can see what they're dealing with and they can't exactly ignore you that way!!

michaela_ banana- 9! :eek: I just tried my local GP's and I wasn't allowed for confidentiality reasons (even though I don't actually know anyone that lives within a 10 mile radius from here/ the surgery, bar my family :rolleyes: ).
I kind of interviewed the manager of the surgery and spoke about that at interview instead :biggrin:

To give you a headstart, start doing stuff for your personal statement now. And that's not just chatting to senile patients, but if you don't have any interesting hobbies, I'd suggest you get some! Unis mark your application on lots of criteria which quite a few unis make public. E.g. I just found some of southampton's ideals...

Spoiler

Almost everyone who applies meets the basic requirements. You have to set yourself apart!
Take up flame throwing, tai quon do, teach babies to swim, get a pilots licence, learn braile, help out in a foreign hospital/orphanage... whatever... but you can't do too much [apparently :wink:] *

G'luck!

*I didn't do any of this, but then I did get 3 rejections without interview :smile:
Reply 21
You could try working in a charity shop as that shows commitment and they are always looking for volunteers. auxillary nursing can give you a big boost with the added bonus of gettin paid but requires quite a lot of time
good luck
You can volunteer for Vitalise when you're 16 (I did) - that's VERY hands-on. (PM me and will happily tell more :smile:.) Volunteering in hospitals/old people's homes/hospices - even if it is just chatting and tea making - is still valuable and interesting.

If you're struggling to get work experience shadowing etc:
1) Go with any contacts you have, friends of friends etc - don't ask, don't get
2) See if there's a voluntary services co-ordinator for your local hospital/trust and get to know them - they can help set up placements and voluntary work and bureaucracy becomes easier when you're in their good books!
3) Consider a placement somewhere tangentially related to medicine - I spent a great week at a school for children with special needs.