The Student Room Group

Does the quality of teaching greatly affect your A-Level grade?

People from the sixth form i'm going to keep saying the teaching there is rubbish.

Coming from the same people who don't show up to half the classes.

I just wondered, what impact does the quality of teaching have?

If i put the work in myself, read all the material, self teach alongside the teacher, would it hinder me that much?

I thought sixth form was all about independent learning, so is it just their want for teachers to spoon-feed them the work and grades like many teachers did at GCSE that makes them blame the teachers, or do the teachers actually have a huge impact?

Would i be okay if i basically read it all myself, put in a lot of revision time, but had the teacher there to explain the bits i didn't understand?

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Teaching can make a massive difference.

However I tend to find that the subjects I did better in were the ones where I learnt it all myself, after what the teacher offered me. So going away, doing extra reading, practising exam qs etc, it made my teachers kind of irrelevant.

Of course those who don't attend half the classes will look to blame somebody else when their grades come through as poor.
Reply 2
High quality teaching certainly makes it easier to learn. An enthusiastic teacher inspires enthusiasm in their students, which means they can be more willing to put the work in.

If you have the motivation to self teach the entire syllabus, then you will probably manage unless you need help. If you get stuck on a concept then you will want a teacher who is capable of explaining this to you and correcting other mistakes.

Also if the students say a teacher is rubbish, then regardless of whether they are or not, the students are more likely to be disruptive or distracting, which will make it harder to learn anything.
Reply 3
I essentially had to teach myself physics at AS. I got a B in it but A's in my other subjects, so I think teaching does affect your grades to a certain extent, however some people work better independently than others.
Reply 4
I think this is a difficult question to answer because it seems like the people who told you their opinion of the teaching standards are unreliable.

Despite this, I think teaching standards are really important especially at a-level as although you might not want to be 'spoon-fed', the curriculum is difficult for many people meaning you will probably need good support and teaching rather than do the majority by yourself. This becomes even more important when applying for university as from my experience it is the teachers who guide you most through that process.

Furthermore, if the standard of their teaching in mirrored by the standard of their marking this could shape a big problem for you, particularly essay-based subjects as it could lead you to believe you are at a grade that you aren't.
Reply 5
I think teaching yourself along side listening to your teacher could be a great combination. You are right though, at GCSE pupils expected to be spoon fed, perhaps those that say the teacher is rubbish have not learn't that at A-level you wont be spoon fed.
Reply 6
It differs somewhat between subjects I would say. Self-teaching a few maths modules is achievable but a subject like chemistry requires somewhat more support.

You are right in saying that at A level more emphasis is put on independent learning however the support of a good teacher can make this a lot easier. Unlike at GCSE you can't (in general) memorise the textbook and get full marks - you need a far deeper understanding of the course and this is where teaching comes in. This is coupled with the fact that concepts are often more difficult and need more explaining.

The other issue is around things such as assessed practicals and exam technique. These often can't simply be learned from a book and a teacher who is really switched on can make a difference to how you perform. For example at my school the teachers did practice assessed practicals to help us get a hang of the real thing. These helped enormously when it came to the real thing.

If anything I would say teaching is more important at A level than GCSE.
Reply 7
I would say that if you have a bad teacher it really doesn't help. A good teacher makes lessons interesting and will give you great support. Even if you self teach, you still won't get the help and understanding of the course that you'd get from a good teacher.

As others have said as well, what about assessed areas and things like exam technique. If you've got a good teacher they'll be far more help to you than reading a book!

Isn't there another 6th form you can go to, or a college, to take your A levels, which has a better reputation ?
Yes teaching can make a huge difference but when you get to A level you do have to start taking responsibility for learning, which means turning up to lessons! (how can people moan the teaching is rubbish if they never show up), do extra reading around your subject and if you don't understand something then look it up! Don't just assume your teacher will go over it (but obviously ask for help too)
It can make a difference, but for me it didn't.

My biology teachers were absolutely abysmal. They'd contradict themselves, refuse to answer my questions because I didn't "need" to know the answer, and I even once had to teach the class because my teacher didn't know anything about the topic.
Despite this, I got an A*. But then I am extremely self-motivated and actually like teaching myself.

It also probably helps that it was a science subject - and with biology in particular all you really need is the textbook and the motivation to learn it. Other subjects may be different; I wouldn't know, as I actually had decent teachers in maths and chemistry.
Reply 10
It depends on the subject. Many subjects you can make up for poor teaching by doing extra reading etc.

I had two teachers at A level who were just awful. Their lessons were unbearably dull. One in particular really knocked by confidence because he kept on saying things like, "If you don't understand this, then you must be an idiot."

However, it only really affects your A level grade if it's a coursework based subject. One of my friends had massive problems with her English Language coursework because the teacher was so lazy getting through the material they needed to be able to do it, that she had a tiny amount of time to complete it, and then it didn't get moderated on time, so it was sent off to the exam board without being properly moderated.

She still managed to get an A becuase she put in so much work, but lots of other people in the class did terribly.
Hell. Yes.

My Sociology teacher was actually a Psychology teacher who had failed HER ENTIRE GROUP bar one the year before, so had been 'demoted' to Sociology (and it's a difficult subject whatever people say). She literally read out of the textbook, telling us loads of names that we didn't even need, and neglecting the important one. She got key concepts confused so people had to correct her (!!) and set us an essay a day that she had got the title for out of the text book (and she didn't even mark them).

Than, when we all got crap grades in the Jan exams, she told us it was because we didn't try and she was really annoyed because parents had been complaining. The thing was that unlike an English teacher who we got sacked because she couldn't teach for sh*t, the sociology teacher was actually a really lovely woman, and as my tutor, a really good laugh. So no one reported her.

Not that it would've mattered because she was sleeping with her head of department...
Reply 12
Yes it does

but its also down to the students approach to A levels as well because if your a person that just listens in class and does nothing at home then you're brewing for a fall, but everyone has their own ways in learning

i am one of those that likes to know what's coming so looks over the material and then the teacher teaches it in depth
It does matter. By the way, as for the skipping class, the people in my Sociology class that always skipped class did the best mainly because they studied at home instead. Those of us who were too "good" to skip class got at least one grade lower than they should have, partially because my teacher failed to finish the syllabus, and antyhing he went over wasn't gone through very well.
Also, it depends on the subject and how you work with it - personally, if I had to self-teach myself Maths it would have been okay, but not Sociology. Some people may find it easier to teach themselves a written subject? Perhaps.
Quality of teaching is important. Although I think it depends on the subjects as to how important.

For example being left with a bad teacher in subjects such as maths isn't so bad considering that there are so many sites like mymaths and other places in which you can find explanations, and then essentially you just need to follow the coursebook and do past papers. The main worry is that the teacher may be so bad that they ruin your enjoyment of the subject - and generally people do worse if they stop enjoying what they're doing. :K:

However I find that there is a big impact when it comes to essay-writing subjects. Mainly because you can't just learn the facts, you need to learn how to structure your essays / develop arguments / etc which requires a certain amount of constructive feedback from the teacher. For example my school first had a really bad psychology teacher (albeit she then left ill and there was thus no psychology teacher) and at AS and A2 a ridiculous amount of people failed and underachieved. Whereas say, my school has really good english teachers, and english is the school's best A-level subject in terms of grades. :tongue:

However if you're willing to put in all the extra effort that may be required (not just reading the textbook, but also perhaps looking through mark schemes, examiner reports and of course doing past papers) then you really shouldn't be too hindered by a bad teacher :yep:
Reply 15
Depends what type of learner you are. Although I had teachers, I basically self taught myself every subject and came out with 4A*s. You, rather than your teachers, are the biggest determinant of your grades.
Reply 16
Hmm not really no. It's strange, my Economics teacher was one of my favourite teachers, and I made sure I copied down the notes in class. I ended up with a B. Meanwhile, our Biology teacher prefers to sit down, and make us highlight notes from a textbook. We did hardly any work, and I ended up with an A.

At the end of the day, a lot of A-level learning is independent learning, and a bad grade cannot be blamed on the teacher. If anything a bad teacher makes sure you look over your notes more, seen as you're more clueless about what's going on in class.
Reply 17
I see from your profile that you wanna do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

You also sound like you could be talking about my sixth form tbh, "the teaching is rubbish" is a phrase commonly thrown around here :tongue:

Because you seem to have such a positive attitude to learning and have a great deal of self-motivation, I'm going to disagree with many people here and say it won't have a big impact on you. You're taking the sciences - if you basically memorise + understand the textbooks and can apply the information you've learnt correctly, you can ace the exams. People might disagree with me, but really, everything in the specification is in the textbooks, so what more can your teacher do except support you with anything you don't understand?

You've got brilliant GCSEs already which just shows what you're capable of. To me, having somewhat lacklustre teaching was just more of an annoyance, than a hindrance to my grades. It gave me something to complain about, but it also made me determined to find my own ways to succeed. You sound like you genuinely care about your education, and I think that makes a bigger impact than any teacher ever could. :smile:
I agree that it depends on the subject.

For the sciences, not having a good teacher isn't that much of a drawback, because you can teach youself these subjects more easily, in my opinion. I personally believe that if you really care about the subject and are determined to get good grades, you'll put in whatever work is necessary and do as much as you can outside the classroom to give yourself the best possible chance of success; having a good teacher for me is like a bonus.

But I really hate it when teachers just read stuff out of a textbook. Its like, why have I even bothered coming to the lesson? A teacher who won't mark your work and who ultimately doesn't give a monkeys if you pass or fail can be quite a letdown.
The teacher is there to merely go through that textbook with you....she cant help you engrave that into your brain only you can do that.

Quick Reply

Latest