The Student Room Group

Hca, tattoo's, help?!

I've just had an interview at a hospital for an HCA job. My friend who work's in the same hospital that I will hopefully be working at just told me that having visible tattoo's can be a sack-able offence and when she started *about a month ago*, it was a big thing on her ward.

Does anyone know if this will vary from ward to ward?
Also, does anyone actually know the NHS policies for tattoo's?

I have three tattoo's, all able to cover up, it's just that I want a forth, on my inner arm.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
surely if it was an issue they would have told you at the interview
Original post by bestofyou
surely if it was an issue they would have told you at the interview

They didn't see any of my tattoo's at the interview, so they didn't bring it up.
Reply 3
Original post by EarthsDaughter
I've just had an interview at a hospital for an HCA job. My friend who work's in the same hospital that I will hopefully be working at just told me that having visible tattoo's can be a sack-able offence and when she started *about a month ago*, it was a big thing on her ward.

Does anyone know if this will vary from ward to ward?
Also, does anyone actually knows the NHS policies for tattoo's?

I have three tattoo's, all able to cover up, it's just that I want a forth, on my inner arm.

I think that tattoo issue will be trust specific,it could be that some wards allow them as long as they are not offensive or easily covered.I cant see it being different from ward to ward, that's sounds too picky.Imagine all the nurses ( and other staff) only being able to work on one ward due them having tattoos, wouldnt happen.

Maybe you could get a copy of the employee handbook/rule book for that trust or phone HR, they might be able to tell you what's what.
Original post by Annie72
I think that tattoo issue will be trust specific,it could be that some wards allow them as long as they are not offensive or easily covered.I cant see it being different from ward to ward, that's sounds too picky.Imagine all the nurses ( and other staff) only being able to work on one ward due them having tattoos, wouldnt happen.

Maybe you could get a copy of the employee handbook/rule book for that trust or phone HR, they might be able to tell you what's what.

Thank you, the tattoo I want isn't offensive but it would have to be covered by something long under my tunic. As I haven't started the job yet I'm hoping that they will at least tell me when/if I start. Like you said, it would also be in the handbook :smile:.
Reply 5
Thank you, the tattoo I want isn't offensive but it would have to be covered by something long under my tunic. As I haven't started the job yet I'm hoping that they will at least tell me when/if I start. Like you said, it would also be in the handbook :smile:.

I dont think you'd be allowed to wear something long under your tunic because of the "bare from the elbows" rule for infection control, and you cant wear a wrist watch for the same reason.See what it says in the handbook or hang on till you start.
Original post by Annie72
I dont think you'd be allowed to wear something long under your tunic because of the "bare from the elbows" rule for infection control, and you cant wear a wrist watch for the same reason.See what it says in the handbook or hang on till you start.

My plan was to hang on anyway. Thanks alot! :smile:
Reply 7
They didn't see any of my tattoo's at the interview, so they didn't bring it up.

Wait, you haven't even got the tattoo yet? Don't be silly, just don't get it.
I think it must depend on the ward - a friend of mine is an HCA and she had very visible tattoos.
Original post by bestofyou
Wait, you haven't even got the tattoo yet? Don't be silly, just don't get it.

I already have four tattoo's. It's just that none of them are visible. Depending what the hospital say, means weather I get it or not.
Reply 10
If it was a trust policy then it would be something they would have brought up at interview. It costs a lot to recruit staff, to employ someone then get rid of them because of tattoos when they didn't bring it up in the recruitment process would be a waste of money. I know of loads of people working in healthcare with tattoos, saw one bloke with a sleeve the other day at work. As long as it's nothing offensive then it shouldn't be an issue.
If it helps, I seen several ODP's with tattoos...
I had an interview at a kids hospital a few weeks ago and saw a nurse with a fairly big tattoo on her outer arm so it must just depend on the trust. I was surprised, I didn't think you'd be allowed visible tats (I don't have a problem but I thought other people might).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending