The Student Room Group

Best tablet for college student?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shanghaichica
Yes I have the samsung galaxy Tab 2 10.1

:cool:.

Do you use it for uni/research work or just for surfing the net, emailing, social networking, vids and games?

Thx
Reply 41
Original post by kathleenjames06
I was thinking of getting a tablet for note taking and homework for school since my laptop is kind of heavy to carry around for a while. I mean if Im going tothe library to study its fine but other wise its akward and big. I heard the ipad is not good for college students but I would love if there was one that would be the same size and fitted into ipad cases.

nexus 7
Reply 42
Original post by ninuzu
nexus 7

So she asks for something the same size as an iPad, and you suggest a 7" tablet? That's completely not what she asked for...
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
:cool:.

Do you use it for uni/research work or just for surfing the net, emailing, social networking, vids and games?

Thx

I use it for editing work and reading papers. Also for leisure.

Posted from my Galaxy note
Reply 44
Original post by Dan1909
So she asks for something the same size as an iPad, and you suggest a 7" tablet? That's completely not what she asked for...

It's a lot cheaper and functions similarly. I know loads of people who have bought one when it was released with the intention of using it for university and college work. I don't see why I can't provide an alternative?
Reply 45
Original post by ninuzu
It's a lot cheaper and functions similarly. I know loads of people who have bought one when it was released with the intention of using it for university and college work. I don't see why I can't provide an alternative?

By all means suggest an alternative. But you need to give some information to the OP to explain why you've suggested something other than what he asked for. Simply writing the name of a completely different tablet won't be helpful at all!
Reply 46
The iPad might not be the cheapest solution but its the best out there when it comes to note taking and generally using it at uni.
The galaxy has a small screen for this kind of work

You can also get a bluetooth keyboard or a stylus to take notes with
Check out studentstech.com for info on how to use a tablet at uni
Original post by Creatureck
The iPad might not be the cheapest solution but its the best out there when it comes to note taking and generally using it at uni.

The galaxy I have has a 10.1 inch screen which is bigger than the ipad.
Reply 48
Original post by Creatureck

That depends what Galaxy you're talking about... There are devices in the Galaxy product line with screens from 3.2" (The galaxy spica phone), up to the actual Galaxy tablets which are 10.1" devices (which are larger screens than the iPad, just).
Lol at spending hundreds of pounds to do the electronic equivalent of using pen and paper. Just lol.
Reply 50
Original post by mikeorchard
Lol at spending hundreds of pounds to do the electronic equivalent of using pen and paper. Just lol.

I doubt there's anybody who has bought a tablet only for writing notes on. They do plenty of other things. By your logic, we could all laugh at anybody who has a computer of any sort, because, as you said, you can write with a pen and paper without having to spend hundreds of pounds.
Original post by Dan1909
By your logic, we could all laugh at anybody who has a computer of any sort

That's not my logic at all. A computer does far far more and in a lot of cases has no analogue alternative.

The premise of this thread was getting a tablet for note taking and homework. Well the note taking can be done often more quickly with a pen and paper and homework... well that can be done at home on a PC or laptop or with a pen and paper depending on what it is.
Reply 52
That's not my logic at all. A computer does far far more and in a lot of cases has no analogue alternative.

The premise of this thread was getting a tablet for note taking and homework. Well the note taking can be done often more quickly with a pen and paper and homework... well that can be done at home on a PC or laptop or with a pen and paper depending on what it is.

Yes, a computer does far more than just writing, but so does a tablet. I would be extremely surprised if the OP wanted to use the tablet exclusively for note taking and homework, but they're the only points she mentioned as they're the ones she wanted advice on. You say that she can do it at home on her laptop, but she specifically stated she wanted to use it when she wasn't at home.

Most importantly though, why do you feel the need to laugh at what somebody wants to spend their own money on? Why is that any concern of yours? They came here asking for advice, not for you to laugh at what they want.
Original post by Dan1909
Most importantly though, why do you feel the need to laugh at what somebody wants to spend their own money on? Why is that any concern of yours? They came here asking for advice, not for you to laugh at what they want.

Because this is a forum for different opinions and it's needless spending like this that has a considerable part to play in the current economic crisis. Why is defending tablets any concern of yours? Because you choose to, same reason that I choose to attack them.

Yes they did, and my advice is to save the money and use a pen and paper instead for note taking and make use of the facilities that most colleges spend hundreds of thousands on to complete homework, and a normal PC/laptop at home if need be. Heck, most smartphones have 95% of the ability of a tablet just on a smaller screen.
Reply 54
Because this is a forum for different opinions and it's needless spending like this that has a considerable part to play in the current economic crisis. Why is defending tablets any concern of yours? Because you choose to, same reason that I choose to attack them.

Yes they did, and my advice is to save the money and use a pen and paper instead for note taking and make use of the facilities that most colleges spend hundreds of thousands on to complete homework, and a normal PC/laptop at home if need be. Heck, most smartphones have 95% of the ability of a tablet just on a smaller screen.

But you didn't give advice that they should save their money, you simply came in here and started laughing at them, big difference!

Also, assuming the OP has the money to buy the tablet without taking out any form of extra loan, then it would certainly not be any part of anything causing the economic crisis. The whole idea to fix it is to get people spending again. (Obviously by that I mean spending their money, not borrowed money).
Original post by Dan1909
But you didn't give advice that they should save their money, you simply came in here and started laughing at them, big difference!

Also, assuming the OP has the money to buy the tablet without taking out any form of extra loan, then it would certainly not be any part of anything causing the economic crisis. The whole idea to fix it is to get people spending again. (Obviously by that I mean spending their money, not borrowed money).

I didn't laugh at them. I laughed at the idea of spending hundreds of pounds on a tablet to do things that can be done for pence or for free.

The current economic crisis wasn't solely caused by debt and that wasn't the point I was making. Fixing it by getting people to spend again would be the same as treating a heroin addict by giving them more heroin. Growth is finite and people spending needlessly will not change that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending