does hyms look at AS grades?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by AishaTara
does hyms look at AS grades?

:facepalm:

:no: - see earlier in the thread.
Original post by Ezraeil
Don't stress; my overall score was 2390 (597.5 average), and I still managed to secure an offer. As long as your personal statement hits the spot, you'll be fine. :smile:

Are you at HYMS/starting HYMS?
secondly, any tips for the personal statement? :l i've improved alot, but it still sounds dulll (maybe because ive read it over so many times)
thanks in advance!
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
My UKCAT wasn't the highest compared to others, overall was around 642. I still managed to get an offer so all is not lost :smile: I'll be happy to help if anyone has any questions about applying here :biggrin:

any tips with PS writing? and congrats on your offer! if i'm really lucky, I may even see you around there next year!
any tips with PS writing? and congrats on your offer! if i'm really lucky, I may even see you around there next year!

Thanks :smile: With regards to your PS read http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/selection-procedure.aspx the bit under "How we assess UCAS forms". It tells you what they are looking for and so a good starting point would be to ensure that you cover these areas within your PS. Otherwise, it's just the general advice such as don't just list what you did on your work experience but reflect on it.. I know it's hard to do but try to write your PS in a personal way because after all it is a personal statement. The university trawl through a fair few PS so it would be good to make yours unique :smile:

Remember you can always use TSR personal statement help they have on offer if you feel like you want another opinion on it or just some general feedback!

Good luck with it all.. Haha yes might just see you around :biggrin:
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Thanks :smile: With regards to your PS read http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/selection-procedure.aspx the bit under "How we assess UCAS forms". It tells you what they are looking for and so a good starting point would be to ensure that you cover these areas within your PS. Otherwise, it's just the general advice such as don't just list what you did on your work experience but reflect on it.. I know it's hard to do but try to write your PS in a personal way because after all it is a personal statement. The university trawl through a fair few PS so it would be good to make yours unique :smile:

Remember you can always use TSR personal statement help they have on offer if you feel like you want another opinion on it or just some general feedback!

Good luck with it all.. Haha yes might just see you around :biggrin:

thank you :biggrin:
2 more questions..
1. with the opening of a PS ahh! mine sounds so lame and my first interest came from my own experience but I dont know how to summarise that its a long thing! :L

2. Ending a PS- alot of people/resources say end on a conclusion about yourself, but an admissions tutor told me he thinks its pointless. He says obvs you all want to be Drs, you're all going to say your 'motivated, passionate' etc etc and its a waste of valuable characters which you can write someone more useful with.
thank you :biggrin:
2 more questions..
1. with the opening of a PS ahh! mine sounds so lame and my first interest came from my own experience but I dont know how to summarise that its a long thing! :L

2. Ending a PS- alot of people/resources say end on a conclusion about yourself, but an admissions tutor told me he thinks its pointless. He says obvs you all want to be Drs, you're all going to say your 'motivated, passionate' etc etc and its a waste of valuable characters which you can write someone more useful with.

I think after reading your own statement so many times it starts to sound weird, try get other people's opinions on it? They say the opening is supposed to grab the reader's attention but more often than not people just use a short opening before swiftly moving on. As long as the opening sentence isn't "From a very early age I have wanted to study medicine" I think you'll be alright :tongue:

From when I wrote mine, I remember being told the conclusion should attempt to round off your statement with why you want to study medicine and why you would be an ideal candidate. Of course if you've been told by an admissions tutor it's pointless then I'm not quite sure :eek: Did he suggest what to include in your conclusion? I think abruptly ending your statement without some sort of a conclusion might not read too well!
Reply 28
AishaTara
Are you at HYMS/starting HYMS?
secondly, any tips for the personal statement? :l i've improved alot, but it still sounds dulll (maybe because ive read it over so many times)
thanks in advance!

Nope, HYMS was my insurance :smile: With regards to the personal statement, I personally believe that the most important thing HYMS look for is reflection upon personal experiences. They want to know that you've drawn the most out of your experiences, and this should come across in a genuine manner.

As for it sounding dull, after reading it hundreds of times, you're bound to go a bit off it (and cross eyed :lol:). You need to get others to look at it with a critical eye and give you their opinion on it. I'm assuming you've used the PS Help forums on here?
Original post by Ezraeil
Nope, HYMS was my insurance :smile: With regards to the personal statement, I personally believe that the most important thing HYMS look for is reflection upon personal experiences. They want to know that you've drawn the most out of your experiences, and this should come across in a genuine manner.

As for it sounding dull, after reading it hundreds of times, you're bound to go a bit off it (and cross eyed :lol:). You need to get others to look at it with a critical eye and give you their opinion on it. I'm assuming you've used the PS Help forums on here?

thank you :smile: yes aha lots of reflection. which med school was your firm?
ahh I will be once I've done as much as I can to it probably on Monday, going to get two more people to check it before allowing the PS helpers to.
Reply 30
Original post by ameelia22
:shock::shock: Shock horror, Hull York don't have a thread of their own for 2013 entry! Thought, being an eager beaver, i'd make one :biggrin:

On Selection Procedure:

Spoiler

I'm a bit worried, because my UKCAT isn't very high :s-smilie:

On minimum entry requirements for those in the UK:

Spoiler

All the best! Its an amazing school, applied and got a conditional offer last year. :biggrin: Feel free to ask any admission/interview related question and my impression during the interview was they care about PS more than UKCAT (one guy had 605)
Reply 31
AishaTara
thank you :smile: yes aha lots of reflection. which med school was your firm?
ahh I will be once I've done as much as I can to it probably on Monday, going to get two more people to check it before allowing the PS helpers to.

That's something I'd rather not disclose publicly, if that's alright :lol:

Sounds like a plan. I'd advise you to take a look at the PS Help forum's guidelines on writing your PS; it'll tell you exactly how to structure it to meet requirements, and it'll mean that Helpers like myself will spend less time focusing on helping you restructure, and more time helping you to make the content relevant. :smile:
Reply 32
jess_m94
Thank you! :smile: so as long as i'm predicted high enough, my abbbb at AS won't matter? :smile:

Yes, as long as your predictions are at/above the required grades. You're welcome. :smile:
Reply 33
Hi,
I will be applying this year! Is there anything any of the previous applicants can suggest for us as I hope to have it as my first choice!
Reply 34
Original post by MedMed12
Hi,
I will be applying this year! Is there anything any of the previous applicants can suggest for us as I hope to have it as my first choice!

For your PS:

Really try to include the things they want and they love reflections not only on WE but also ECs
Reply 35
Original post by apple17
For your PS:

Really try to include the things they want and they love reflections not only on WE but also ECs

ah good :smile: thanks!
Reply 36
MedMed12
Hi,

One more piece of advice for your personal statement would be to include as many examples of personal experiences as you can (whilst staying within the character limit of course). For example, don't just say "I saw doctors and the way they used their communication skills to good effect", say "Observing a doctor speaking to an elderly patient and paying close attention whilst listening to her..."; this shows that you were closely observing specific experiences, which you've later reflected upon.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
I have finished 2 years at HYMS and I am intercalating at Leeds for a year (this year). I have to say I have loved my two years of HYMS, I am just going to Leeds to intercalate as they offer a course that HYMS doesn't. Any questions you may have for me let me know. I may be a bit rusty on admissions stuff but I can tell you about my two years in York

Good luck all!
Reply 38
Original post by trektor
I have finished 2 years at HYMS and I am intercalating at Leeds for a year (this year). I have to say I have loved my two years of HYMS, I am just going to Leeds to intercalate as they offer a course that HYMS doesn't. Any questions you may have for me let me know. I may be a bit rusty on admissions stuff but I can tell you about my two years in York

Good luck all!

Being a big city girl myself, I'm a bit worried that the nightlife at Hull/York might be a bit dry. How much is there to do at York?

And how have you found your first two years? Pro's and Cons so far? In particular, how have you found the assessment methods?
Reply 39
Original post by ameelia22
Being a big city girl myself, I'm a bit worried that the nightlife at Hull/York might be a bit dry. How much is there to do at York?

And how have you found your first two years? Pro's and Cons so far? In particular, how have you found the assessment methods?

I have loved the nightlife however I am from a small village. I know some people aren't as keen on the nightlife as me and they tend to be from London. In York there are really nice bars and pubs probably due to the city being so nice. There are some big clubs (when they open all the rooms) and there are many student nights on throughout the year.

I have loved my first two years however I am right on the positive end of the spectrum so you may struggle to find anyone who likes the course more than me.

Pros

PBL - I love it, you get objectives (that are not directly examinable) but you use the lectures and resource sessions to guide your learning of the learning objective so that the stuff you learn is the stuff they will examine you on. We also do guided discovery PBL (the best variant in my opinion) and we only have clinicians supervising the group.

Early clinical contact - 1 day a week (half days in year one). They are at the end of the week and you can see in practice the things that you have been learning about. I don't know of anywhere else that you get that much clinical contact so early on. It is also always relevant to the week that you have had.

Small year group - You know everyone in your year and all the staff know you. Makes for a very friendly and supportive atmosphere

Up to date curriculum - you don't go into uneccessary detail

Broad range of SSCs - They have plenty of sciencey ones but which other medical school can you learn Yoga, sign language, or medical writing as a part of your preclinical years?

Cons

Resource sessions - In this point I am only referring to the resource book and the questions in it. There are no answers to the questions so there have been times I have written answers then a friend has informed me it is wrong, sometimes weeks later! It's not a massive angst as the content in resource sessions are covered elsewhere and only some of the content is unique. The book helps guide your learning also. This year I only learnt the unique content from the book as I was satified I could answer the other questions due to having done the work already

Certain aspects of Anatomy - In many ways the anatomy teaching is good but you have to put the effort in. I got a lot out of it but they made it harder this year. This year you had to have done the resource book questions before arriving as they wouldn't just teach you, but you asked questions to fill in the gaps in your knowledge. So I still learnt a lot but I think they could have made it easier for us to learn some of the stuff

Assessments:
First year you have 2 formative assessments and a mock OSCE and mock anatomy spotter which prepare you well for the real thing.

A lot of our exams are multiple choice (which is great) and the written parts never require long answers. The current system I have found fair and I enjoyed. Besides the written papers the OSCEs and Anatomy spotters are fair

hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending