The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School A100 2013 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by trektor
I have loved the nightlife however I am from a small village. I know some people aren't as keen on the nightlife as me and they tend to be from London. In York there are really nice bars and pubs probably due to the city being so nice. There are some big clubs (when they open all the rooms) and there are many student nights on throughout the year.

I have loved my first two years however I am right on the positive end of the spectrum so you may struggle to find anyone who likes the course more than me.

Pros

PBL - I love it, you get objectives (that are not directly examinable) but you use the lectures and resource sessions to guide your learning of the learning objective so that the stuff you learn is the stuff they will examine you on. We also do guided discovery PBL (the best variant in my opinion) and we only have clinicians supervising the group.

Early clinical contact - 1 day a week (half days in year one). They are at the end of the week and you can see in practice the things that you have been learning about. I don't know of anywhere else that you get that much clinical contact so early on. It is also always relevant to the week that you have had.

Small year group - You know everyone in your year and all the staff know you. Makes for a very friendly and supportive atmosphere

Up to date curriculum - you don't go into uneccessary detail

Broad range of SSCs - They have plenty of sciencey ones but which other medical school can you learn Yoga, sign language, or medical writing as a part of your preclinical years?

Cons

Resource sessions - In this point I am only referring to the resource book and the questions in it. There are no answers to the questions so there have been times I have written answers then a friend has informed me it is wrong, sometimes weeks later! It's not a massive angst as the content in resource sessions are covered elsewhere and only some of the content is unique. The book helps guide your learning also. This year I only learnt the unique content from the book as I was satified I could answer the other questions due to having done the work already

Certain aspects of Anatomy - In many ways the anatomy teaching is good but you have to put the effort in. I got a lot out of it but they made it harder this year. This year you had to have done the resource book questions before arriving as they wouldn't just teach you, but you asked questions to fill in the gaps in your knowledge. So I still learnt a lot but I think they could have made it easier for us to learn some of the stuff

Assessments:
First year you have 2 formative assessments and a mock OSCE and mock anatomy spotter which prepare you well for the real thing.

A lot of our exams are multiple choice (which is great) and the written parts never require long answers. The current system I have found fair and I enjoyed. Besides the written papers the OSCEs and Anatomy spotters are fair

hope this helps

Fantastic stuff! :kissing2:You wen't above and beyond what I asked :biggrin: Thanks so much for spending the time to write that up! +REP!

So hoping I end up in York!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by ameelia22
Fantastic stuff! :kissing2:You wen't above and beyond what I asked :biggrin: Thanks so much for spending the time to write that up! +REP!

So hoping I end up in York!!!

No problem. I was also going to suggest you look in the current medical students sub forum in the thread regarding pro's and con's of medical schools, but I see you've already been in there as someone has done a pros and cons in there for HYMS already.

Wherever you get placed you'll be there for the first two years then you'll move between York, Hull, Scarborough, Grimsby, and Scunthorpe so you'll have very varied settings. Hull being a larger city than York has even bigger clubs but I've only been to one as the after party to last academic years winter ball so I can't really comment on the Hull nightlife but wherever people are placed they love it

Edit: here is a link to the thread. Use the search function to see the comments that another HYMS student has done
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Ezraeil
Don't stress; my overall score was 2390 (597.5 average), and I still managed to secure an offer. As long as your personal statement hits the spot, you'll be fine. :smile:

hi, was the selections procedure different last year? In 2011 it was scored out of 10 for ukcat apparently (don't know what out of), not sure about 2012 though. Thanks
Do you think their ukcat scoring is more detailed than their website (2600 = 15points, 2800 = 20 points etc)
i.e does someone with 2600 score same 15 points as someone with 2799 ukcat?? Or does 2640 score 16, 2680 scores 17 points etc etc.

Do they look closely at AS grades, or go on predicted grades?
Reply 44
l2ob
hi, was the selections procedure different last year? In 2011 it was scored out of 10 for ukcat apparently (don't know what out of), not sure about 2012 though. Thanks

I'm not sure, to be honest. They may have tightened the selections procedure for this year due to an increase in the number of applicants, but I can't say, sorry!
Reply 45
Selection procedure is definitely different compared to when I applied. UKCAT scoring had only small differences between the numbers that you got awarded.

I think the scoring system is just the allocated number of points for each bracket so not any more detailed than what is on the website, however I may be wrong
Reply 46
Original post by trektor
Selection procedure is definitely different compared to when I applied. UKCAT scoring had only small differences between the numbers that you got awarded.

I think the scoring system is just the allocated number of points for each bracket so not any more detailed than what is on the website, however I may be wrong

yeah, but 25 points is quite a big chunk. i got 638 (10 / 25). reconsidering applying because it's such a big chunk :frown:
Reply 47
Original post by l2ob
yeah, but 25 points is quite a big chunk. i got 638 (10 / 25). reconsidering applying because it's such a big chunk :frown:

As I say I'm not sure if they award e.g. 11 points, 12 points etc.

I think it will be fair to say that most people will only be getting 10 or 15 points for UKCAT. 20 and 25 will be much rarer, unless things have changed since I have applied
:shock::shock: Shock horror, Hull York don't have a thread of their own for 2013 entry! Thought, being an eager beaver, i'd make one :biggrin:

On Selection Procedure:

Spoiler

I'm a bit worried, because my UKCAT isn't very high :s-smilie:

On minimum entry requirements for those in the UK:

Spoiler

Hey, does anyone know if you get to choose between Hull or York for medicine course A100. I was under the impression that the universities chooses for you? Or do they ask you for a prefrence Please quote me or I won't be able to find the response. NEVER MIND, FOUND THE ANSWER! FOR ANYONE WONDERING IT STATES' students must be prepared to accept a place at EITHER hull or YORK " :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
You don't get to choose which campus. Everyone interviews at Hull and then when the offers are given, the successful applicants are randomly assigned but tbh both campuses are amazing and it really doesnt matter where you end up - you still get to know pretty much everyone in your year :smile: good luck if your applying
Reply 50
Just been looking at the entry requirements on their website and it states, 'You will also need a fourth subject at AS-level grade B (not General Studies or Critical Thinking).'
I was thinking of applying but I've got AAAC at AS. :s-smilie: I've sent my paper off for a remark but my grade could remain unchanged. Considering I get predicted AAA or higher, will HYMS consider my application?
Original post by PinkEye
Just been looking at the entry requirements on their website and it states, 'You will also need a fourth subject at AS-level grade B (not General Studies or Critical Thinking).'
I was thinking of applying but I've got AAAC at AS. :s-smilie: I've sent my paper off for a remark but my grade could remain unchanged. Considering I get predicted AAA or higher, will HYMS consider my application?

HYMS may consider your application but I personally wouldnt apply in your situation. A lot of medical schools weed applicants out by setting these tiny little "conditions" such as A at English Language GCSE and a B in a 4th AS. This is simply to narrow down the amount of applicants they are dealing with. You would be better going and looking at the small print of other medical schools and investing a 4th choice in one of those. 40% of medical applicants get offers every year and so I think you would be best looking somewhere else rather than effectively "wasting" a choice (as HYMS would see it anyway). Good luck, hope you find somewhere!

P.S I know this from first hand experience with HYMS, sorry
Reply 52
Original post by PinkEye

Maybe if you resat a module or something? then on ucas they would see it as a pending grade?

hollie-elizabeth do you think this would work?
I think you're probably best emailing the admissions tutors about it (they're lovely) and explaining that you only missed by a grade, if you resat and it brought up your grade would that be ok? They might be ok with it if you pre-warn them and there is something in your reference but like I said I would check with them because if they're not you have essentially wasted a choice and applying for medicine you really cant afford to do that. Good luck :smile:
i got a C in my 4th AS- missed a B by 1 mark so sent off for a remark, if not retaking in Jan :smile: how do I write this on my UCAS and can I still apply? x
Reply 55
I'm applying here if all goes well with my UKCAT :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by PinkEye

I say
Original post by jess_m94
Maybe if you resat a module or something? then on ucas they would see it as a pending grade?

hollie-elizabeth do you think this would work?

do it. That's what I'm doing :wink: putting the whole thing down as pending - i emailed admissions and they say they don't mind when the AS is achieved (not sure if that allows you to do so over 2 years though still)
Reply 57
Definitely applying here :smile: Anyone still waiting to sit UKCAT, would recommend emedica, its amazing and helped me improve massively from last year!
I say

do it. That's what I'm doing :wink: putting the whole thing down as pending - i emailed admissions and they say they don't mind when the AS is achieved (not sure if that allows you to do so over 2 years though still)

don't you have to put the grade already achieved in the specific module down and enter that module again as pending?
or can you put the overall AS grade down (without individual module grades), and then just re-enter a specific module as pending?
Original post by AishaTara
i got a C in my 4th AS- missed a B by 1 mark so sent off for a remark, if not retaking in Jan :smile: how do I write this on my UCAS and can I still apply? x

I would write it in a paragraph in your personal statement, maybe do a short paragraph for "set backs"? Or get your teachers to slot it into your reference. To see if HYMS would accept it, I would email the admissions office - it can't hurt and will give you a much better idea if they will accept you or not. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending