The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School A100 2013 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ameelia22
Ah, awesome, hope we both get in :') Seems like we have little competition according to TSR haha

Yeah hopefully we do :smile: - According to the head of careers/ucas at my college. 7 people from my college applied to HYMS last year. 5 got offers. But I'm not sure if their system was the same last year as it is now? Also do you mind me asking what kind of tier your UKCAT was in?

I'm applying to Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and HYMS. Seems like we are applying to similar uni's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone know what their cutoff score was for interviews last year?
Reply 82
Original post by yorkshire.lad
Yeah hopefully we do :smile: - According to the head of careers/ucas at my college. 7 people from my college applied to HYMS last year. 5 got offers. But I'm not sure if their system was the same last year as it is now? Also do you mind me asking what kind of tier your UKCAT was in?

I'm applying to Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and HYMS. Seems like we are applying to similar uni's.

Nice! Are you at a private or public college? People from my college have got in there before too, so i'm hopeful! Mine would be in the 2500 one.

Manchester - my UKCAT is too low, and sheffield my AS grades aren't what they should be :sigh:

But Liverpool and HYMS :undefined:thumb I'm also applying to Aberdeen and Keele :smile:
Nice! Are you at a private or public college? People from my college have got in there before too, so i'm hopeful! Mine would be in the 2500 one.

Manchester - my UKCAT is too low, and sheffield my AS grades aren't what they should be :sigh:

But Liverpool and HYMS :thumb: I'm also applying to Aberdeen and Keele :smile:

I'm at a public college. What is manchester's cutoff do you know? I've got a 662.5 average and unsure a little now. Btw sheffield only want ABBB
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by yorkshire.lad
I'm at a public college. What is manchester's cutoff do you know? I've got a 662.5 average and unsure a little now. Btw sheffield only want ABBB

I thought it was roughly 640-650, so i reckon your fine!

And yep, that's the problem 8)

But Liverpool and HYMS :undefined:thumb
I'm also applying to Aberdeen and Keele :smile:

im applying to the same places as you, but plymouth if I get a good ukcat, if not then aberdeen aha! go you! :smile: But 8% for UKCAT i'm not sure if thats risky :s-smilie: I know someone who got 692 and didnt get an offer or interview there but did at their other three options
Reply 86
Original post by AishaTara
im applying to the same places as you, but plymouth if I get a good ukcat, if not then aberdeen aha! go you! :smile: But 8% for UKCAT i'm not sure if thats risky :s-smilie: I know someone who got 692 and didnt get an offer or interview there but did at their other three options

That's exactly why it's not risky. the fact that aberdeen put an 8% weighting on UKCAT, and your friend didn't get in with 692 proves that it's not the UKCAT that was the problem, it was something else in their application - I have no idea what it could be if he/she was offered interviews/offers everywhere else though :shrug: guess the obvious one is PS as they're sooo subjective.
Reply 87
What roughly would be a cut off this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's exactly why it's not risky. the fact that aberdeen put an 8% weighting on UKCAT, and your friend didn't get in with 692 proves that it's not the UKCAT that was the problem, it was something else in their application - I have no idea what it could be if he/she was offered interviews/offers everywhere else though :shrug: guess the obvious one is PS as they're sooo subjective.

do they look at AS grades or not?
Reply 89
Original post by NutterFrutter
Anyone know what their cutoff score was for interviews last year?

it must be quite low, some guy posted that he got an interview with 597 ukcat, so the cutoff cant have been higher than 35/50
Reply 90
Deffo applying here, love the fact that interview only accounts for 50% of offer decision and that they give such a high weighting to UKCAT :smile:
Reply 91
guys, as an international applicant, do you think it would be sensible to apply with 15/25 points? (i got 2672)
The competition is pretty tough, only 10 seats for internationals, are there many international applicants each year, so is it worth the risk?

Secondly, which unis have high numbers of seats for overseas students, which would be best to apply to?
Reply 92
Applying to HYMS with 3A* and 7As, 690 (2760) UKCAT but messed up AS - got ACCC extenuating circiumstances hence predicted AAAb. Any chances here? Pls help with some advice. Non acad (grade 6 violin, School head girl, old people's home and hospital shadowing)
Reply 93
Original post by AishaTara
do they look at AS grades or not?

Nope. They want predicted AAAb. Check the first post for more info in the spoilers or their website.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 94
Original post by yahyazhar
guys, as an international applicant, do you think it would be sensible to apply with 15/25 points? (i got 2672)
The competition is pretty tough, only 10 seats for internationals, are there many international applicants each year, so is it worth the risk?

Secondly, which unis have high numbers of seats for overseas students, which would be best to apply to?

1) yes. Bearing in mind that the average is 2400, you are well above.
2) an application is always risky for medicine, no more at HYMS then anywhere else imo.
3) research, talk to the other internationals, as the majorty of us here are from the UK we won't have numbers off the top of our heads. Check out their websites for more figures.
4) there's no university "best to apply too" simply because it depends on your application, where you want to go, what kind of place your after etc. it's so individual.

I realise I haven't been able to give you a lot of the answers you wanted, but that's precisely my point. at this point in the application cycle, if your still unsure about where to apply, research thoroughly, spend the time to make an informed decision. Only you know what you want, what risks your prepared to take, and where you'd be happy.

Reply 95
Original post by bukoba
Applying to HYMS with 3A* and 7As, 690 (2760) UKCAT but messed up AS - got ACCC extenuating circiumstances hence predicted AAAb. Any chances here? Pls help with some advice. Non acad (grade 6 violin, School head girl, old people's home and hospital shadowing)

Nice UKCAT = high chance of interview. Modest GCSE's not a problem, I'm, applying with 2A*s 7A's :smile: AS not a problem either, you have the predictions you have the circumstances. You definitely have a shot here. I would suggest you look at newcastle medical school too, they have a UKCAT cut off and you would meet it. Everyone above the UKCAT cut off is pretty much interviewed, so as long as you interview well, your in. They don't regard GCSE's or AS's at all unless you haven't taken chemistry / biology to a-level.

Reply 96
hey,

so do HYSM just look at your ukcat for deciding interview?? I got 2690.. so like an average of 673? Absolutely lost at where to apply because I messed up my AS (abbb).
Reply 97
Hi guys,
I am currently a HYMS 2012 fresher and happy to answer any questions anyone has.
I got aabb at AS level and 690 average in the UKCAT if that helps!
:biggrin:
Reply 98
ukcat 665 average
GCSE 5 A* 3 A 2 B
AS 3A 1B
Predicted 1 A* 2 A

do you think my ukcat is high enough?
And for interview selection do they order people in terms of UKCAT scores?
Original post by boyang02
ukcat 665 average
GCSE 5 A* 3 A 2 B
AS 3A 1B
Predicted 1 A* 2 A

do you think my ukcat is high enough?
And for interview selection do they order people in terms of UKCAT scores?

They order people using the UKCAT and personal statement scoring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending