The Student Room Group

Am I revising/studying too early?

I have an Edexcel Additional Science Chemistry exam in the first week of November this year (2012) and after receiving an A at core science I'm determined to get an A* at Additional Science!

I bought the latest specification book for the exam and I've been revising/studying (don't know what to call it as we haven't covered it yet in class) for the past 2 months.

It's almost September so I'm 2 months away, but I've revised already quite a lot.

If I stop now, and focus it more when the exam is closer, will I forget any of it?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You may forget it depending upon your memory but it won't be too hard to recap it and gain a better understanding when learning it again...I'd say still read through your notes every week so that it's fresh in your mind

Also there is no such thing as revising too early, the earlier you revise the less stress you will have when it's close to the exam date :smile:
It's good, to know the content and tgen you can use your your lessons as revision when the teacher goes over it! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Dylann
I have an Edexcel Additional Science Chemistry exam in the first week of November this year (2012) and after receiving an A at core science I'm determined to get an A* at Additional Science!

I bought the latest specification book for the exam and I've been revising/studying (don't know what to call it as we haven't covered it yet in class) for the past 2 months.

It's almost September so I'm 2 months away, but I've revised already quite a lot.

If I stop now, and focus it more when the exam is closer, will I forget any of it?

Thanks.

Well, I completed P2 (revising by myself over Summer) and the exam's on 6th of November.

I completed half of P3 and the exam is in June.

So it's always best to start early.

Before you start, read the syllabus.

Edit:

Mill hill, Hmm one bus to my school (251)

I go to friern barnet school :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Always a good idea to study as much as you can, i would recommend easing your work load but keep doong it every day until the exam.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
there is no such thing as revising too early :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by BC95
there is no such thing as revising too early :wink:

Yup. Only studying/teaching
Reply 7
Original post by Saleemadat
Yup. Only studying/teaching

true :smile:
I did triple science for GCSE so I've had exams throughout year 10 + 11. Once I though we had our real exam as well as a mock or the next unit in Biology. Turned out I was wrong, I only had the real exam but I had also revised for the next unit. Thought it was a waste of time but when it came down to the next exam I found that everything I had learnt came flooding back, when I was revising. I got A* in all 3 of my Biology exams and came out with a UMS of 99/100 for Biology. I didn't do this for either of my other sciences but wish I had because even though I got A in them. I was 7 off an A* for chemistry.

Revising early is great, just make sure that it does not come before revision for closer exams. Also if you forget it all, don't worry, it'll come back to you the next time you revise it and you'll more than likely actually UNDERSTAND what you're learning. I have another tip and people may or may not disagree with me on this. Print out the specification for your exams and whatever you learn in your lessons/ revision guide, write it down next to all the mini-topics. It WILL help if you're on an exam board/ go to a school where memorising what is on the specification will get you the best marks :biggrin:

P.s Glad I'm not in your shoes anymore
No, I would continue studying solidly through to November. Last year, when I took my own GCSE's, I took maths early right at the end of October and I have to say that I studied not too much even though I knew it was coming which meant I panicked more (not particularly because I was going to do bad, I got an A*) so actually partially for your peace of mind more than anything, I would advise just continuing studying though maybe slow down a little just whilst you go back to school and get busy again. But study hard over October half-term,

Lydia xx
I've got Math GCSE Early Entry Exam on November. Any tips?
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
I've got Math GCSE Early Entry Exam on November. Any tips?

Urmm. If an answer seems right but seems to easy to get to, its probably right! :tongue:

If you need any help! Ask me :biggrin: I'm only a PM away :wink:
Reply 12
Thanks guys for all replies, I will keep revising through till the exam but be weary of closer exams.
Reply 13
Original post by Dylann

Thanks.

I dont usually open my books until its time to revise. You should be able to get a*'s in gcse with say 3 weeks revision/study before exams. it isnt hard. There are better things to be doing at that age :smile:
Keep it up its good to be ahead of your time.
Reply 15
Original post by Dylann

Thanks.

Hey, your not - dont worry. I've done exactly the same as you, been studying all summer.

I'm resitting my Core Biology & Core Physics (I missed the exam as I was ill) and sitting Additional Biology & Additional Chemistry all in November! To be honest, its great that you have, as you have covered everything, and now revisiting it will be much easier. Can I advise that you get some post-it notes and go through the book identifying the more difficult bits and ask a teacher for revision on them.. Good luck with everything & PM me - as its been quite difficult to find someone also doing Edexcel new specification! :smile:
I'll be different and just say to chill out just a little... there's really no need, just revise properly for a month or so before the exam(s). You might struggle with retaining all of that information, and maybe you think you've understood something when actually you haven't. Enjoy the time you've got now, because come May next year it's going to be a bit different for you.
Keep going! You'll find that lessons become more like revision to the point where you'll know the subject inside out. Always good for an exam!
Revision will be simple too, where you'll only have to focus on areas you're a little unsure about... unlike me, who used revision time as learning-the-subject-for-the-first-time until I found sense after the January exams. :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by lubus
I dont usually open my books until its time to revise. You should be able to get a*'s in gcse with say 3 weeks revision/study before exams. it isnt hard. There are better things to be doing at that age :smile:

Such as?
Reply 19
You can never start reviseing or studying too early good luck with your exams:smile:

Quick Reply