The Student Room Group

How much stuff are you taking to university?

Aimed at freshers mainly. How many bags/suitcases/boxes are you taking to university?

I'm thinking of turning up with a small suitcase of clothes and then maybe two boxes of kitchen and bedroom stuff.

Let's face it, no one wants to be the lame-arse who turns up four times as much as anyone else...
Reply 1
I'm taking 1 suitcase with most of my clothes in it (leaving a few items at home)
then a rucksack with electronical and small things in like laptop, chargers, toiletries and stationary
then a box with a few cooking accessories (basic neccessaties like a a cup, knife and fork, 2-3 plates and 2 pans)
Then that'll basically be me :smile:
Reply 2
oh, and lots of money to spend on drink!
I stuffed the boot and one back seat of our hatchback, and that was on a par with other people.

Don't forget that you will need to take some bulky things like bedding too, and pans don't really fold down small either. Take what you think you'll need & use up there, and remember that you will be able to buy things there too.
Bedding. Kitchen stuff. Laptop, Stationary. Clothes. Sports equipment.
Not that much, a fairly large suitcase and backpack, potentially another bag, being I have to get the train :erm:

I think I'll just buy most things (i.e. kitchenware) while up there :yep:
Reply 6
I've just graduated but I moved into my halls with.....

2 suitcases (1 weekend case and 1 slightly bigger) of clothes
1 plastic box of kitchen stuff plus a few extra items (wok and collander wouldn't fit in)
1 collapsible crate box with just random stuff
1 large cardboard box of stationary and a few other things I think
My printer in its box
Plastic bag of shoes
DVD cases
Rucksack with laptop and speakers etc
Bedding and towels in bin bags or loose
Then a few bits like my coat, dressing gown and things my friends gave me the night before I left in plastic bags or wherever they'd fit in the car :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Mine's likely to be 4 small boxes full, 2 big boxes, a sports direct bag, bin bags with my bedding in them (had to buy new duvet and pillows as well as the covers), my rucksack full of electricals, a suitcase with clothes, a weekend bag for when I go home (also with clothes + shoes in) and my TV :tongue:
Reply 8
I really don't think it's 'lame' to have more stuff than other people, it would be more 'lame' to be the person always borrowing things off other people...
Reply 9
you wont be the "lame-arse" turning up with a lot, everysingle person in my flat turned up with a lot. and the only people I meet later who didn't are ones that had to travel there on planes or trains. you will be the "lame" annoying person if you don't have anything and keep borrowing stuff. And if everyone but you has everything and you need to go buy stuff on the first few days you won't have anyone to go with so will be separating yourself from everyone else.

I'm taking less this year as we are sharing kitchen stuff between us but thats the only real reduction so not significantly less.
Reply 10
Is anyone taking a tv?

my tip to freshers is not to take too much especially if you live far away from the university because if you wanna take it home it can be really stressful. So these days i go to uni with virtually nowt
Wellll last year I filled 2 small cases, 3 large handbags, 2 medium/large cases, a few plastic crates, 2 bin bags, washing basket and I also had pillows/cushions/duvete/benbag plus things like my tv, PS3, speakers etc which went in their own boxes... had to use my dads work van aha. :smile:
Nobody gave a crap... why would they? :s-smilie: Infact my flatemates loved hanging out in my room since I had a load of random things to play about with& was the only person to bring a games console

I'm trying not to take quite so much this year though, mainly cause I can't use a van this time :p: But I was perfectly happy with what I took, it made my room feel homey
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Moved in last year: I had a huge suitcase, an equally large holdall, two medium/largish travelling bag type things, a huge bag that I used in college and another bag (a weekend bag I think). I also had a small across the body bag for my purse and things, my mum had her handbag and I think we had a tesco bag with some food stuff we got from tesco before leaving. Looking back, it was such a stressful day seeing as we had to lug all that stuff on the trains from Liverpool to essex. But I pretty much had all I needed so it was worth it in the end. So take the things you'll need, I think it will be better to have too much than too little. I mean other people had much more than I did as well.

Reply 14
I brought everything with me when I started. My entire life in the back of a van.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending