Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can gay men have children ?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im a gay man (not out though). Im asking this question because when i come out i know my family will be disapointed that I cant have children naturally. Apart from adoption are there any ways gay men can have kids ? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    find a surrogate mother
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surrogate, adoption. Those are the only two I know of atm :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against gay men raising children just I feel there needs to be a female and a male role model in a child's upbringing.

If you do decide to adopt a child then make sure your Mother, Sister or Grandma has a role specially if you choose a girl.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point in adoption really :/ surrogates are kind of... yeah... but at least you're passing on your genes.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most likely surrogacy. I'm not sure if this is just fiction or even possible in real life, but I remember on Glee Rachel's Dads were both somehow involved with Shelby or something and therefore they are both naturally her Dad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There's a new TV series in America called The New Normal, which is about a gay couple trying to have a baby through a surrogacy mother. You should check it out, it's quite sweet.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surrogacy. You can ask a good friend of yours to carry your babies for you? By that I mean a friend who doesn't want to get married but wants to have kids. You two could share the baby, you'll never know...

Good luck!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farrow000)
    I have nothing against gay men raising children just I feel there needs to be a female and a male role model in a child's upbringing.

If you do decide to adopt a child then make sure your Mother, Sister or Grandma has a role specially if you choose a girl.
    No offense, but in relation to your view, loads of children are raised by a single parent and therefore do not necessarily have both a male and female figure/idol; however, this rarely makes a difference. In general it's definitely not needed to have both male and female parent figures, although of course it wouldn't harm if it was possible. The main problem gay parents would really have trouble with is the prejudice, abuse and views of other people towards them and the child.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka had one egg fertilised by each of them placed into a surrogate so they wouldn't know who was the biological father (because it didn't matter) and they both took and they had twins. I'm not a baby fan but that made even me go "D'aww"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Find a suitable woman, then impregnate her by sticking your penis inside of her vagina.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's great you're considering to have children!
    If your family feel disapointed, just tell them that it's just the way you are and you can't help it.
    They will accept it eventually, after all you are their blood

Surrogate is the only option I can think of at this time.
    Peace
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jahe)
    Hi, Im a gay man (not out though). Im asking this question because when i come out i know my family will be disapointed that I cant have children naturally. Apart from adoption are there any ways gay men can have kids ? Thanks

Various ways:

- You can adopt/foster a child. At the end of the day, it may not be your child biologically, but I guarantee that he/she will be yours as you watch them grow. I have friends who count their step fathers as fathers, regardless of a lack of biology.
    - You can artificially inseminate (using a surrogate mother). Some people pay about £10,000 in expenses and basically, the child biologically becomes your child, but obviously, it is expensive.
    - Failing this, you could always have a child with a female friend, but it isn't common that you will find a woman wanting to do this. But hey, if you have a female friend who wants a baby, it may be an option.

Good luck.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    Most likely surrogacy. I'm not sure if this is just fiction or even possible in real life, but I remember on Glee Rachel's Dads were both somehow involved with Shelby or something and therefore they are both naturally her Dad.
    lol that's brilliant. Advice from Glee
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theroomofstudents)
    No offense, but in relation to your view, loads of children are raised by a single parent and therefore do not necessarily have both a male and female figure/idol; however, this rarely makes a difference. In general it's definitely not needed to have both male and female parent figures, although of course it wouldn't harm if it was possible. The main problem gay parents would really have trouble with is the prejudice, abuse and views of other people towards them and the child.
    Look at all the young boys going off rails because their fathers left them, most people grow up with the same sex parents are usually more stable. My parents split when I was young and if I wasn't able to see my dad I probably wouldn't be the man I am today. My mum wouldn't know about male problems as a boy but my dad would because he is man and lived the experience.

If I was a father to a girl I wouldn't know to deal with girl problems so its good to raised by the same sex so they grow up strong and independent.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Arnold Schwarzenegger have a child at some point?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600full-junior-screenshot.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	171894

See.

Do that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having a male and female role model is good for them, psychologically and for their development. But I'm sure a lot of people will deny that and go "Single parents are just as good". They're not, in most cases.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamb109)
    Having a male and female role model is good for them, psychologically and for their development. But I'm sure a lot of people will deny that and go "Single parents are just as good". They're not, in most cases.
    How can you say that when there are loads of single parent families out there who have kids of both genders and the kids are fine? You can't just condemn the all because it's not logical, there are people from nuclear families that are completely screwed up even with both roles

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farrow000)
    Look at all the young boys going off rails because their fathers left them, most people grow up with the same sex parents are usually more stable. My parents split when I was young and if I wasn't able to see my dad I probably wouldn't be the man I am today. My mum wouldn't know about male problems as a boy but my dad would because he is man and lived the experience.

If I was a father to a girl I wouldn't know to deal with girl problems so its good to raised by the same sex so they grow up strong and independent.
    Yes, but that's not based on the fact they didn't have a father figure, it is just resentment to the fact they were left; they may feel unloved, betrayed, or just be angry in general. In your response to your male/female problem ideas, that isn't such an issue within this society; education from school, peers and others in general is always available, and with the internet, children of this day can take it upon themselves to research and find solutions or help to problems. tbh, throughout my childhood right up until now (I'm 18), apart from general care and looking after, I haven't needed to refer to my Dad or Mum, male problems I've had or anything. But that's just one situation as yours is... in general however, there is nothing stopping a single male parent researching 'female problems' or a single female parent researching 'male problems' to help aid their kids should they have troubles. It doesn't matter the sex or gender of the parents; any moral, loving parents can successfully raise stable children...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.