The Student Room Group

personal statement for two subjects

I know there are a few threads already about this but none related to my subjects so I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

I want to apply for a few computer science courses and a few electrical engineering courses, since these are fairly similar courses how hard or easy do you think writing a personal statement will be?

I don't like not mentioning the course name I'm apply for either so would it work if i said something like "I would like to study a course such as computer science or engineering because..." or should i just not mention the course?

Reply 1
Original post by matty1794
"I would like to study a course such as computer science or engineering because..."

They are, imo, too dissimilar to complete that statement effectively
Reply 2
I know there are a few threads already about this but none related to my subjects so I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

I want to apply for a few computer science courses and a few electrical engineering courses, since these are fairly similar courses how hard or easy do you think writing a personal statement will be?

I don't like not mentioning the course name I'm apply for either so would it work if i said something like "I would like to study a course such as computer science or engineering because..." or should i just not mention the course?

This is quite a risky strategy and I wouldn't advise you to go ahead with it. I think you should try to contact the unis and see if any of them would accept a separate Personal statement. If you are going to apply for two courses then i would suggest you apply for 4 computer science courses and 1 electrical engineering course or the other way around.

BUT! this is just how I think you should go about it based on my personal experience and my family and friends experience. I wish you all the best in whatever you end up doing.
Reply 3

I think it would be quite hard because as the person above said they aren't too similar. If you do attempt to do this then don't mention the courses as the admissions tutors will think you're indecisive and don't really know what you want to do. Maybe have an attempt and put it in to the PS Helpers and see what they think?
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
They are, imo, too dissimilar to complete that statement effectively

Original post by Link96ra
This is quite a risky strategy and I wouldn't advise you to go ahead with it. I think you should try to contact the unis and see if any of them would accept a separate Personal statement. If you are going to apply for two courses then i would suggest you apply for 4 computer science courses and 1 electrical engineering course or the other way around.

BUT! this is just how I think you should go about it based on my personal experience and my family and friends experience. I wish you all the best in whatever you end up doing.

Original post by Ogrice80
I think it would be quite hard because as the person above said they aren't too similar. If you do attempt to do this then don't mention the courses as the admissions tutors will think you're indecisive and don't really know what you want to do. Maybe have an attempt and put it in to the PS Helpers and see what they think?

Thanks for the advice guys I was afraid people would say this :frown:
Oh well think I'm just going to apply to computer science and maybe one electrical engineering like link69ra said to see what happens but do my personal statement for computer science. Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 5
I applied for 1 x International Business and German, 2 x Business and German and 2 x German single honours and got all 5 offers....

I'm not sure how similar these two courses are though so I'm not sure :s

:biggrin:
Reply 6

I applied for a mixture of Computer Science, French, German and Maths, and got 5 unconditionals, from unis like St Andrews and Edinburgh.

My advice is to write a short bit about each course. I also said that many people would view my wide course range as a weakness, but I view it as a strength because it shows I have a wide range of interests and am successful in many subject areas. I also tried to link in the subjects, such as saying German and Maths were similar as they are both extremely logical. I finished by saying whatever I chose, I knew I'd be an asset to the course.
Except for top 5-6 universities ...PS is just a formality. Admission tutors barely spend 15 odd seconds per statement.
Original post by spongle
I applied for a mixture of Computer Science, French, German and Maths, and got 5 unconditionals, from unis like St Andrews and Edinburgh.

My advice is to write a short bit about each course. I also said that many people would view my wide course range as a weakness, but I view it as a strength because it shows I have a wide range of interests and am successful in many subject areas. I also tried to link in the subjects, such as saying German and Maths were similar as they are both extremely logical. I finished by saying whatever I chose, I knew I'd be an asset to the course.

The Scottish university system allows for a much broader course in the first year than English ones do, so your application obviously played to that strength. A similar tactic south of the border would be much less likely to succeed.

OP, the simple answer is to decide what you want to do first, then apply with a focused application. You would have to decide sooner or later, so make it sooner and be more likely to get what you want.
Original post by Dumb Economist
Except for top 5-6 universities ...PS is just a formality. Admission tutors barely spend 15 odd seconds per statement.

It's a subject thing. Some subjects such as maths do not use the ps very much. For arts and humanities it's a much more important thing.
Reply 10
Thanks for all the replies, think the way forward for me will be to tailor my personal statement towards compsci then maybe apply for one electrical engineering, even if i dont get an offer for it theres no harm in trying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending