The Student Room Group

What is it like sharing a bathroom?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skaterkid
This may sound like a very dumb question but can you spend your time in uni without going into the kitchen (eating out) or at the very least eating mircowave food (microchips/pizza)

only if you want to be obese
Original post by TenOfThem
I am sorry, but this is one of the funniest questions I have seen in a long time

You're welcome :tongue:
Reply 22
In my accomodation they're cleaned daily so they're literally spotless. The one time it wasn't was a Friday night when we found it covered in vomit and a guy in a santa outfit passed out further up the hall.
Reply 23
Well I didn't have a good experience last year, as I was waking up some mornings and the guy before me, forgot to flush the toilet and the shower was always blocked with hair :tongue:
If you are ok with school toilets ... you will be in for a treat

If you share the bathroom at home with a couple of teen siblings ... you have seen it all

If you are an only child with an en-suite at home and a daily woman who comes in and cleans ... it will be a nightmare
Original post by Alientrooper
Have you all shared bathrooms before with people?
Just a bit worried from some of the comments at the moment... :s-smilie:

Don't worry! Generally non en-suite rooms get more cleaner time anyway especially the shared areas :smile:

I was at leeds festival, and when I got home I appreciated toilets SO much more :smile:
i'd have to agree with TenOfThem above...it depends on what you are used to.

i've always had my own bathroom or had my own place and still find sharing a struggle - altho it's gotten easier over the years and is easier still in private let, as opposed to halls.

the less u have to share with, usually, the better. that said, u can get thru it and as already suggested, wear flipflops and be prepped to see/smell anything :smile:
I have been given my accommodation and it's not en-suite (which is what I applied for). The difference between en-suite and normal is around £3000 per year.
Is shared bathroom that bad? I'm nervous as to the condition it'll be in even though I'm generally quite clean and tidy. :/

We had four toilets, two showers and one bath between sixteen of us in halls.

It was absolutely fine, although never leave it to the last minute to go in the shower. Bad idea.
Reply 28
Have you all shared bathrooms before with people?
Just a bit worried from some of the comments at the moment... :s-smilie:

How many people are we talking about? A flat of 4-8 or an entire corridor/floor?
Also is it cleaned by the uni or your responsibility?
Original post by gm15
How many people are we talking about? A flat of 4-8 or an entire corridor/floor?
Also is it cleaned by the uni or your responsibility?

The uni said its fairly small... around 5 per bathroom and it will get cleaned but unsure as to how often.
Reply 30
what if you're really late for your lecture and have to use the bathroom pronto but somebody's in there taking their time? :redface:
Reply 31
Ever been to a bog at a festival? Some folk just don't understand how a toilet works.
Infact, I'm sure some of them think the idea is to stand on it and aim outwards.

Broadly it depends on who you get lumbered with. If you are placed with those who have been domesticated then you'll be fine. If you've been landed with a bunch of animals you'll be taking full advantage of the facilities at your local gym!
Reply 32
The uni said its fairly small... around 5 per bathroom and it will get cleaned but unsure as to how often.

Well 5 is only a little more than the average family so unless by luck of the draw you get stuck with 1 or more uber slobs its not going to be horrific...especially as you don't have to clean it. I've not lived in a hall with shared bathrooms but the shared areas of my flat were cleaned 5 days a week (maybe more...forget).

The public loos in academic buildings don't get that bad with far more than 5 uses daily and you wouldn't think twice about using those. Also showers at uni gyms get used more than 5 times daily and generally are kept ok. You can probably relax
Yeah my room has a washbasin so isn't as bad I guess?

That bad? I think that my floor is single-gender anyway though and I'm a guy.

Yeah that bad. I might of been unlucky but the bathroom was constantly a messy piece of ****.

Might be better with all guys though, you won't have to put up with constant blocked plug holes and tampons.
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Yeah that bad. I might of been unlucky but the bathroom was constantly a messy piece of ****.

Might be better with all guys though, you won't have to put up with constant blocked plug holes and tampons.

yeah cos blocked loos with mahoosive logs and the wet zone around the base of the toilet is just SO much better!

for sure, sharin with guys is waaay better!:tongue:
Original post by SamGee
I hope you like stray pubes *cackle*

LMFAO
Original post by Ham22
It's not really the same at all. With halls no one cares about keeping the place clean because it's not their property. Also, if there's many sharing one bathroom, dirty, careless people find it easier to get away with messing the bog etc because it can be difficult to pin point exactly who's responsible.

Anyway, my third year bathroom eventually had to have men in bio-hazard suits go in to sort the situation out- things got that bad.

agreed. you've said what i couldn't be bothered to type.
think there was only one time in the whole of first year when two people wanted to shower at the same time lol
Reply 38
Original post by jess_m94
what if you're really late for your lecture and have to use the bathroom pronto but somebody's in there taking their time? :redface:

Hold it in or use a public one in the numerous buildings you pass running to the lecture. Or alienate your flatmates and bang on the door and sream like a banshee?
Reply 39
in halls last year there were 3 toilets and 3 showers for my corridor- about 16 people. it was okay actually, never had to queue etc. the only downside was when people were sick in them which wasnt too frequent luckily. the worst thing was that they got blocked on quite a lot of occasions by big poos..... shudder

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending