The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Another re-applicant here!! :biggrin:

I still haven't taken my ukcat but if all goes well next week I will definitely be re-applying here! Suprisingly I scored highly in the interview last year or so they said in the feedback so i'm hoping to improve on the ukcat which was ultimately what let me down. :frown:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
Reply 41
How heavily do they weight the UKCAT then? :/

My application has been sent off. I got so sick and tired of looking at it, wondering if I should change anything. Tbh I think it's about as good as can be for me.
Reply 42
i know you guys are probably tired of people asking "am i good enough to get in" but i'm gonna ask anyway :P my gcse's are 4A*s 7As, my AS grades are...
chem-B
French-A
Maths-B
Biology-A
however i am predicted 3A's in bio, chem and maths. I did my ukcat today and it was not good, 2450 (612.5 average) D: I have lots of work experience, i've been to 3-4 hospitals each for 2 weeks and i've volunteered at a care home for a year. My personal statement is pretty good (according to my tutor and other teachers) and i have a decent reference. I know my ukcat lets me down but do you reckon its worth me applying or would i get rejected straight away? any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by Zedd
How heavily do they weight the UKCAT then? :/

My application has been sent off. I got so sick and tired of looking at it, wondering if I should change anything. Tbh I think it's about as good as can be for me.

Relatively little i think, it's all on the website
Reply 44
Original post by Orinincandenza
Relatively little i think, it's all on the website

Good :smile: The way jasqur was talking you'd think it constituted a large proportion of your score! :/
Reply 45
Original post by Zedd
Good :smile: The way jasqur was talking you'd think it constituted a large proportion of your score! :/

Sorry if it sounded that way! :smile: For me at least, my ukcat was an important factor of my rejection but I guess my personal statment could also have been stronger so it's a bit of everything really...
Reply 46
Original post by jasqur
Sorry if it sounded that way! :smile: For me at least, my ukcat was an important factor of my rejection but I guess my personal statment could also have been stronger so it's a bit of everything really...

Okay, glad we've cleared that up :smile: Better luck this year!
Original post by jasqur

What was your ukcat ?
Reply 48
Original post by Orinincandenza
What was your ukcat ?

Reply 49
What would my chances be like if i got roughly 700 in the UKcat?

My stats are:
GCSEs - A*AAAAABBBBB
A - level - A*A*AA (Maths, physics, bio and chem)
i have lots of voluntary work and work experience also.

I heard that St. Andrews like you to have 8As at GCSE but would my A levels make up for it. Im a reapplicant by the way.
Would it be safe applying with a ukcat of 623?
Reply 51
Reapplicant here :smile:

I had an interview last year at St A, but when it came to the grilling about the course I panicked (though they were so so nice in their feedback)
I thought it was worth another try though so I've sent my application off and am keeping my fingers crossed!!
Reply 52
honestly, would it be worth me applying my stats are in my sig, I'm contemplating plymouth or st andrews, i feel my ukcat might hinder my chances though. I'm a reapplicant btw :smile:
Original post by kimmey
honestly, would it be worth me applying my stats are in my sig, I'm contemplating plymouth or st andrews, i feel my ukcat might hinder my chances though. I'm a reapplicant btw :smile:

Would it be safe applying to queens belfast with a ukcat of 623?
Original post by tiptoeboo
Reapplicant here :smile:

I had an interview last year at St A, but when it came to the grilling about the course I panicked (though they were so so nice in their feedback)
I thought it was worth another try though so I've sent my application off and am keeping my fingers crossed!!

Could I ask what your Ukcat was last year?
Reply 55
Original post by handsome7654
Would it be safe applying to queens belfast with a ukcat of 623?

depends firstly on your academics and if you're a reapplicant or not let me know you're top 9 gcses or your a level grades if you're a reapplicant and ill tell u :smile:
Original post by kimmey
depends firstly on your academics and if you're a reapplicant or not let me know you're top 9 gcses or your a level grades if you're a reapplicant and ill tell u :smile:

I'm a reapplicant. My first nine gcse's are 4A*s and 5As. A level grades is A*AAB in maths, chemistry, physics and biology respectively! :s-smilie:
Reply 57
Original post by handsome7654
I'm a reapplicant. My first nine gcse's are 4A*s and 5As. A level grades is A*AAB in maths, chemistry, physics and biology respectively! :s-smilie:

ok so you would score 36/36 on academics :biggrin: but then 3/6 on ukcat so overall thats 39/42, the cut off last year was 37 so its up to you it could be close
Reply 58
Original post by kimmey
ok so you would score 36/36 on academics :biggrin: but then 3/6 on ukcat so overall thats 39/42, the cut off last year was 37 so its up to you it could be close

Sorry may I ask, where did you find out about this cut off?
Original post by kimmey

Whaaaaaaaa, there's a points system, where does it says this ?

EDIT: Are you sure you're not thinking of somewhere else, this isn't on the website ?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending