The Student Room Group

C3 OCR Jan 2013 Preparation Thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a10
what resources did u use for M1 revision(besides papers)? i recommend maths247 on youtube he does all the further maths modules except decision modules.

Im going to start M1 revision possibly on sunday im hoping to get the physics and computing revision done at least in the next 2 weeks so i can start papers for them. 1st year physics was very very boring. 2nd year stuff very very interesting BUT concepts are very hard to explain and the exam is barely mathematical calculations about 80% of it is explain and apply 20% is maths proving formulas its insane haha.

I just used papers and the notes in the textbook, that was enough for me personally (the textbook has 2 extra "mock" exams you can do which is nice). That and co-orporation with fellow students and the teacher was what I did.

Maybe you can do certain questions from other exam boards if you are really desperate for more work (I say some as of course each board does slightly different things)

EDIT: Made an OCR M2 thread if anyone is doing that unit, hope an OCR S2 thread comes along soon, or i'll feel bad making two threads
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Genesis2703
I just used papers and the notes in the textbook, that was enough for me personally (the textbook has 2 extra "mock" exams you can do which is nice). That and co-orporation with fellow students and the teacher was what I did.

Maybe you can do certain questions from other exam boards if you are really desperate for more work (I say some as of course each board does slightly different things)

EDIT: Made an OCR M2 thread if anyone is doing that unit, hope an OCR S2 thread comes along soon, or i'll feel bad making two threads

haha make the threads its TSR its for learning xD
Original post by a10
haha make the threads its TSR its for learning xD

If nobody else is doing those units though it is no point :frown:
Reply 63
If nobody else is doing those units though it is no point :frown:

can any of you guys attempt June 05 C3 very last question im stuck on it :s-smilie:

EDIT: After looking @ the mark scheme i figured out where i went wrong :colondollar: but i cant see how they got the final answer so someone please check..
(edited 11 years ago)
Is anyone else having problems with consistency? My marks are literally yo-yo-ing between less than 50% and over 90% in each past paper that I do. Yesterday I did the January 07 paper, found it incredibly difficult and ended up with 53% with no idea what I'd done wrong for most of the questions. Today I did the June 07 paper and only lost 8 marks (two of which I would probably have picked up when checking through my answers in the real exam).

I have no idea why I can't seem to maintain a consistent standard. Clearly the knowledge is there because I could do the paper today, but I'm having real problems with some of them. This happened with C2 as well- right up until the exam the past papers I did would alternate between a D and an A. It's really unnerving and disheartening and I don't have a clue what to do about it.

Please tell me I'm not the only one?
Reply 65
Original post by Oli-Ol
Is anyone else having problems with consistency? My marks are literally yo-yo-ing between less than 50% and over 90% in each past paper that I do. Yesterday I did the January 07 paper, found it incredibly difficult and ended up with 53% with no idea what I'd done wrong for most of the questions. Today I did the June 07 paper and only lost 8 marks (two of which I would probably have picked up when checking through my answers in the real exam).

I have no idea why I can't seem to maintain a consistent standard. Clearly the knowledge is there because I could do the paper today, but I'm having real problems with some of them. This happened with C2 as well- right up until the exam the past papers I did would alternate between a D and an A. It's really unnerving and disheartening and I don't have a clue what to do about it.

My grades only do that without revision...when I revise my marks are constistent like ill be getting 75% then it would increase...perhaps it's your method of revision. Before doing past papers do you make sure u attempt questions in the excersise book for each topic? I always do that first then do past papers because personally I dont see a point in doing a past paper and seeing things that I suck at and cannot do so I would rather have prior knowledge of the topics first so I know when I do the papers I can attempt evey single question and know where I went wrong :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by a10
can any of you guys attempt June 05 C3 very last question im stuck on it :s-smilie:

EDIT: After looking @ the mark scheme i figured out where i went wrong :colondollar: but i cant see how they got the final answer so someone please check..

Basically the argument is that if it doesnt meet y=x it cant meet its inverse since its inverse is the reflection in the line y=x

They then set f(x) = x as you could do IF it met the y=x line, then they use the discriminant as if the discriminant is < 0 there are no solutions (i.e. it doesnt touch the y=x line). Hence the solutions.

Original post by Oli-Ol

I don't have consistency issues, I think I stay within in the same 5% normally, unless there is one very hard paper. It all comes down to practicing imo
Reply 67
Basically the argument is that if it doesnt meet y=x it cant meet its inverse since its inverse is the reflection in the line y=x

They then set f(x) = x as you could do IF it met the y=x line, then they use the discriminant as if the discriminant is < 0 there are no solutions (i.e. it doesnt touch the y=x line). Hence the solutions.

I don't have consistency issues, I think I stay within in the same 5% normally, unless there is one very hard paper. It all comes down to practicing imo

yeah i figured out those parts but i dont see how they got the values 2 and 14 because im getting totally different answers when solving

x = f(x) or x= f^-1(x)

can you post your solution for that part please? (that is if your getting the right answer)
Original post by a10
yeah i figured out those parts but i dont see how they got the values 2 and 14 because im getting totally different answers when solving

x = f(x) or x= f^-1(x)

can you post your solution for that part please? (that is if your getting the right answer)

well I assume you know to set f(x) = x right? since you are going to try and make f(x) touch the line y=x and then find the values of m for this to be impossible.

x = root(mx+7) - 4

(x+4)^2 = mx+7
x^2 + 8x + 16 = mx+7
x^2 + (8-m)x + 9 = 0

Using discriminant b^2 - 4ac, you get:

(8-m)^2 - 4(1)(9)

I've basically given you the answer now, just some rearranging and realising what the inequality must be etc.
Reply 69
well I assume you know to set f(x) = x right? since you are going to try and make f(x) touch the line y=x and then find the values of m for this to be impossible.

x = root(mx+7) - 4

(x+4)^2 = mx+7
x^2 + 8x + 16 = mx+7
x^2 + (8-m)x + 9 = 0

Using discriminant b^2 - 4ac, you get:

(8-m)^2 - 4(1)(9)

I've basically given you the answer now, just some rearranging and realising what the inequality must be etc.

Ahhh right thanks! Yeah the mistake I was doing was instead of expanding first I was subtracting the 7 and dividing by x which was giving me awkward equations to deal with...thanks a bunch tho :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Oli-Ol

My marks differ, but not THAT drastically. Maybe you should make notes of what you lost marks on after every exam, you might find a pattern. You might find that you spend too long pondering the trigonometry question, and you have to rush everything else (for example).
Reply 71
How do you solve, 3sin(6A)cosec(2A) = 4??
Original post by master y
How do you solve, 3sin(6A)cosec(2A) = 4??

Try using the previous part of the question.
Reply 73
Original post by Mr M

I have no idea how they are related!
Original post by master y
I have no idea how they are related!

Well you need to post it, I can't be bothered to trawl back and find it.

From memory, you have a formula for 3x and you need to turn it into a formula for 6A. Make a substitution x=2A.
Reply 75
Original post by Mr M

i think he's refering to the jan 2006 paper, i did it this morning and that was the last question. But yes you are right, it had to do with last part but they just changed the theta to 2beta.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
how is everyone's revision going?
Original post by a10
how is everyone's revision going?

Well, for C3 what I am told to do is go through these 100 questions from Mathsnet. oh and work through a C3 revision guide questions. I have not done too much on it because of Xmas etc. but I will work a lot more the next week or so :s-smilie:

Transformation orders (i.e. when it swaps) are still confusing me, since we were not taught them due to being "too simple"
Reply 78
Well, for C3 what I am told to do is go through these 100 questions from Mathsnet. oh and work through a C3 revision guide questions. I have not done too much on it because of Xmas etc. but I will work a lot more the next week or so :s-smilie:

Transformation orders (i.e. when it swaps) are still confusing me, since we were not taught them due to being "too simple"

yes i agree on the transformations they are confusing u always have to figure out which one is correct :s-smilie: hows revision for ur other two units? I havent started M1 revision or D2 revision yet tho i do plan on starting end of this week trying to get physics out the way
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by a10
yes i agree on the transformations they are confusing u always have to figure out which one is correct :s-smilie: hows revision for ur other two units? I havent started M1 revision or D2 revision yet tho i do plan on starting end of this week trying to get physics out the way

M2 and S2 are complete opposites for me, M2 i've done loads of papers for but don't feel confident at all while for S2 i've only done 6 papers and I feel pretty confident with it :s-smilie:

Still no S2 thread :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending