The Student Room Group

Why we shouldn't tax the rich

Just stumbled upon this article http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/why-we-shouldnt-tax-the-rich.html

It gives some interesting facts:

Firstly, the top 1% of tax payers paid a quarter of all income tax revenues in 2010 according to HM Revenue and Customs. That’s the same as the entire defence budget.

Although revenues were down ÂŁ8billion on 2008 the sector still coughed up ÂŁ53.4billion in the 12 months to March 2009. Or, in context, more than half the entire education budget.

What do people think? Are we not taxing the wealthy people enough? Or should taxes increase, potentially pushing rich people out of the country?

Scroll to see replies

Taxes should decrease for everyone. To fund that we need real spending cuts.
Original post by chigz32
Just stumbled upon this article http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/why-we-shouldnt-tax-the-rich.html

It gives some interesting facts:

What do people think? Are we not taxing the wealthy people enough? Or should taxes increase, potentially pushing rich people out of the country?

Not to mention the jobs that would be lost at companies that make luxurious goods such as McLaren and firms like that.

Taxing the rich has always been Labours "get out." It doesn't work.

Also, what the real problem will continue to be is that our budget needed to fuel the private sector is absolutely sky high with crap and admin rubbish that we don't need.
Everyone should pay tax, and obviously the rich more, but there is a limit before they move away to tax havens.
Reply 4
I remember talking about this in economics...if you tax rich people a small enough amount, eventually it doesn't become worth it to try and hide it abroad, and you actually make more money than by taxing them more. Much more complex than that in reality though i would guess.
The rich have already moved away to tax havens, trillions have been removed from the global economy. It's a bit late to argue against capital flight
Morally, absolutely we should tax the rich. Realistically the question is a little harder to answer.
Reply 7
Tax everybody as little as possible
Reply 8
Hypothetically speaking, surely an easy way the 'wealth migration' is to close these tax loopholes? We may not be able claw back money but we can stop it leaving?
Original post by Hewitt
Taxes should decrease for everyone. To fund that we need real spending cuts.

spending cuts in where? nhs?
Reply 10
Instead of taxing the riches, I think we should reduce their tax bills if they allow portion of that money to be invested (Most likely into labourers) instead of being taxed, thus win-win situation.
Reply 11
Take all earnings over ÂŁ250,000 pa

no one needs that much money
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Rtcw
Instead of taxing the riches, I think we should reduce their tax bills if they allow portion of that money to be invested (Most likely into labourers) instead of being taxed, thus win-win situation.

With huge bills already to pay for public services, surely if you wanted investment, taxes would need to be raised? Or cut funding for public services to fund the investment.
Reply 13
Original post by chigz32
With huge bills already to pay for public services, surely if you wanted investment, taxes would need to be raised? Or cut funding for public services to fund the investment.

No, they still pay the tax. Maybe 10% tax from their tax can be given back to them if they invest about 7-9% of that tax. The other 90% of income goes to tax budget.
Reply 14
Original post by Rtcw
No, they still pay the tax. Maybe 10% tax from their tax can be given back to them if they invest about 7-9% of that tax. The other 90% of income goes to tax budget.

Hmm, I see the idea. Where would you invest that extra 7-9%? Is there a fear that people many invest it back into their businesses in terms of increasing employment etc?
Original post by WhatsHisFace
Morally, absolutely we should tax the rich. Realistically the question is a little harder to answer.

It's moral to tax the people more who've made the most of themselves?
Reply 16
Original post by chigz32
Hmm, I see the idea. Where would you invest that extra 7-9%? Is there a fear that people many invest it back into their businesses in terms of increasing employment etc?

I don't know. I don't have economics degree, or anything related. But probably there could be rules on which they can invest in.
Original post by aWildPidgey
It's moral to tax the people more who've made the most of themselves?

It's moral to tax people who used a monetary system that promotes greed, aggressive capitalism, and selling people short. So yes, it is moral to tax people who "made the most of themselves", as you would call it.
Reply 18
Original post by WhatsHisFace
It's moral to tax people who used a monetary system that promotes greed, aggressive capitalism, and selling people short. So yes, it is moral to tax people who "made the most of themselves", as you would call it.

I think you digress; tax isn't about what's morally right but economically viable. Anyway, if we are talking about what's moral, reading the article above, you can see that most of the money that goes towards public services is coming from people who have 'made the most of themselves' (label that has been given). So would it be moral to increase that tax even more, allowing those who pay less tax to continue to do so? Should we allow these people to bear the brunt of society costs? Or should each citizen pay their way? Just a thought
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by I JUST HAD SEX
spending cuts in where? nhs?

Well for a start we could cut the international aid budget - why is it fair British taxpayers should be funding the Indian space program?

I don't believe we should cut the NHS. However welfare should be cut back dramatically and tighter regulation introduced to make sure it is not abused. With large tax cuts there should be a much larger incentive to work, which would probably result with less benefit scroungers for a start.

There are other areas where cuts can be made too - the civil service, energy, quangos. And within all departments I am sure massive efficiency savings can be made.

That is only the start...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending