The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've printed a copy of the specification, then I primarily use Letts, because it's all-colour and quite good. I don't look at the parts that I don't need. I usually take notes, draw diagrams etc. Then I download past papers, or just to practice questions in the books. :smile:
Reply 2
I'm just going through the syllabus directly, and then applying it directly to past paper questions so that i know exactly where my strengths and weaknesses are. I'm not going to start using a revision guide until after Easter.

I can't revise in bed, it's too warm and makes me sleepy lol.

xXx
Reply 3
In my opinion, best way to revise Science (or any subject where a majority of the exam questions have fairly short answers) is to sit down with a friend and go over each question of the paper, then compare your answers with the markscheme.

A friend and I did this - both in real life and online - and we obtained As and A*s respectively. Discussing and explaning the concepts involved is a very effective method.
At school, we tend to use the Lonsdale books for Triple Science, one for each science, and an additional module book for the Triple Stuff.

They are really good; i prefer to just print of the modular papers to revise. For example, i've just learn't the Additional Triple module: "Movement and Feeding", clicked onto AQA, and downloaded the past 6 exams worth of Movement and Feeding Questions, when i've learnt all the topics, i'll do an acutal proper timed exam.

Even though i'm not doing Modular (doing DC Triple) i like the Modular Papers to revise from.
Reply 5
Excalibur
I've printed a copy of the specification, then I primarily use Letts, because it's all-colour and quite good. I don't look at the parts that I don't need. I usually take notes, draw diagrams etc. Then I download past papers, or just to practice questions in the books. :smile:

Where are you downloading past papers from :biggrin:?
Reply 6
the exam board website ^
Reply 7
Do examples even if it's just one of each thing you've covered. You remember better by doing.
I usually go through each specification directly, making sure I know everything. I try to use loads of different sources, to make sure I don't miss out anything, too. It seems to work ^_^ On the day before an exam, I'll just read my most concise notes or text book a few times: doing too much the night before just makes me more nervous!
MisterE
I like to lay back on my bed and read from my revision book...

if I ever did that, I'd drop off to sleep. lol
Reply 10
strawberry

Ditto!
Reply 11
strawberry

I normally fall asleep when i revise, after all you cant spell revise without three letters from sleep
Reply 12
past papers are the way forward !
franks
past papers are the way forward !

Only if you don’t cheat. I often feel sorry for myself when I mark my past papers and give myself A's..... Yeah results day is always a shock.

To be honest last year I revised maths by past papers, which is great and does help. But for biology there is no point of doing past papers if you haven’t learned your notes, that was my *mistake* last year. I crammed a few notes a week before the exam.
This year I’ve started early and have become quite geeky with highlighters and diagrams and condensed notes. Hopefully when I finish a set of notes for each chapter I’l go back and make them shorter, doing past papers as I finish each chapter.
This is just in theory, whether I can stop being lazy and do all this is another thing:redface:
Reply 14
**noooni**
Only if you don’t cheat. I often feel sorry for myself when I mark my past papers and give myself A's..... Yeah results day is always a shock.

To be honest last year I revised maths by past papers, which is great and does help. But for biology there is no point of doing past papers if you haven’t learned your notes, that was my *mistake* last year. I crammed a few notes a week before the exam.
This year I’ve started early and have become quite geeky with highlighters and diagrams and condensed notes. Hopefully when I finish a set of notes for each chapter I’l go back and make them shorter, doing past papers as I finish each chapter.
This is just in theory, whether I can stop being lazy and do all this is another thing:redface:

That's one hell of a plan! I wish I was that organised! I just write a few notes then do some past papers for my subjects, but then again I dont do biology - it seems so much more work than the other sciences plus you have to write essays! Anyways you've almost scared me into doing some revision :eek: congratulations!
rpotter
Anyways you've almost scared me into doing some revision :eek: congratulations!

:party: wohooo. I expect a gift...
Biology is a pain, and I don’t have a teacher, so its basically me writing notes and hoping something will sink in.

I always plan to revise this well, but then I don’t. There’s always something better to do...place to go…. People to see....................TV to watch :redface: .

Oh. i need to do this much revision as I have to raise my biology grade from a B to an A... so hard for lil ol' me
Just going to read through my notes and the AQA module support books and make more notes. Then do questions from past papers when I know everything.

The problem is the synoptic paper so I need to revise EVERY module, that's six for Bio and Phys and 5 for Chem!!!!!!!!
Read the revision guide (the amazing collins one), make tables with every single definition possible, answer past exam papers and then memorise the mark scheme. Works a treat!
Reply 18
DartsOfPleasure
Read the revision guide (the amazing collins one), make tables with every single definition possible, answer past exam papers and then memorise the mark scheme. Works a treat!

Yep
Reply 19
In my opinion, for sciences and maths, practice is always the best way.

Latest

Trending

Trending