The Student Room Group

Tips on me losing my hair.

Hello,
I am Male and losing my hair, what can you advise for me to use to regrow my hair in strength.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I used apecin for about a year, It didn't make more hair grow or it necessarily make it stronger, but it didn't feel so fine.
Eating foods with protein and vitamin B and E so fish, eggs, seeds and nuts, leafy greens etc. I've heard that helps :smile:
Wouldn't advise that you bother, if it's male pattern baldness. I'm 22 and almost completely bald on top. Though I'm insecure about it at times, I just remember that I've lived with receding hair since I was 16 (and therefore much more subject to people audibly noticing) and I've only started to look properly bald for the last two years.

In your twenties nobody cares, the only wee gripe is that twentysomethings with advanced MPB look older than they are. This reverses as people approach their forties and fifties: people often predict my 52-year old uncle as being 40 years old. If you're 30 by the time you're my stage you'll be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by rockrunride
Wouldn't advise that you bother, if it's male pattern baldness. I'm 22 and almost completely bald on top. Though I'm insecure about it at times, I just remember that I've lived with receding hair since I was 16 (and therefore much more subject to people audibly noticing) and I've only started to look properly bald for the last two years.

In your twenties nobody cares, the only wee gripe is that twentysomethings with advanced MPB look older than they are. This reverses as people approach their forties and fifties: people often predict my 52-year old uncle as being 40 years old. If you're 30 by the time you're my stage you'll be fine.

If you don't mind me asking at what age did you think "sod this" and buzz it? I've got a prominent M shaped hairline atm and I think I'm thinning on top but it isn't all that noticeable. I've managed to accept that I'm going bald and am somewhat over it but I don't want to jump the gun too early- if that makes sense. I'm 21, nearly 22.
Reply 5
You can slow the shedding down with Tea and Coffee rinses and any other DHT blockers
Original post by Aramiss18
If you don't mind me asking at what age did you think "sod this" and buzz it? I've got a prominent M shaped hairline atm and I think I'm thinning on top but it isn't all that noticeable. I've managed to accept that I'm going bald and am somewhat over it but I don't want to jump the gun too early- if that makes sense. I'm 21, nearly 22.

I'd say keep it to number 3 maximum already. I went for it just after I went to uni, so at 18.
Reply 7
Original post by makaveli33
Hello,
I am Male and losing my hair, what can you advise for me to use to regrow my hair in strength.

are you receding? if so, there's nothing that effective on the market for this, even hair transplants often don't work, look at Rooney
Reply 8
Original post by newts2k
are you receding? if so, there's nothing that effective on the market for this, even hair transplants often don't work, look at Rooney

Yes I am receding, but is there anything I can do to improve the flow of my hair permanently for example, shampoo, conditioner, technique.
Thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by AdamHarriis
Eating foods with protein and vitamin B and E so fish, eggs, seeds and nuts, leafy greens etc. I've heard that helps :smile:

Thanks.
Reply 10

Unfortunately I expect to be single until a late age or so I want to, so I want to be well-presentable for a long time.
Reply 11
Original post by Jaspersmith
I used apecin for about a year, It didn't make more hair grow or it necessarily make it stronger, but it didn't feel so fine.

Thanks Jasper, good advice.
Reply 12
Yes I am receding, but is there anything I can do to improve the flow of my hair permanently for example, shampoo, conditioner, technique.
Thanks.

You could try special shampoo but in all honesty, this stuff barely does anything and costs an arm and a leg, might just be worth accepting it for now and holind out for stem cell therapy in future.
Reply 13
Hello,

Do the male relatives suffer in your family from baldness? If so then its almost certainly male pattern baldness.

Unfortunately there isn't a de-facto way of curing male pattern baldness but there are medically tested ways that can reduce the hair loss or even regrow hair on certain parts of your head.

The first one is Minoxidl, sold in the shops under brand names such as 'Regaine'. It usually comes in liquid form and you need to put it on your scalp twice a day. It has been proven to stop or regrow hair loss for some men on the top and crown of your head, but isn't proven to regrow hair at the front of your head on your temples.

The second is called Finersteride, most commonly sold under the brand name Propecia. This comes in the form of a pill and is designed to reduce the effect the hormone that causes male pattern baldness has on hair loss. Again it certainly isn't guaranteed to stop hair loss or regrow it. This pill can have side effects and is quite expensive so its debatable whether its worth it.

Otherwise I can suggest having shorter hair styles. Longer hair styles will make your hair loss more apparent. Also consider using a good volumising shampoo and a decent, non-greasy hair product to make your hair appear thicker.
Reply 14
This reverses as people approach their forties and fifties: people often predict my 52-year old uncle as being 40 years old. If you're 30 by the time you're my stage you'll be fine.

Intriguing :holmes:
Unfortunately I expect to be single until a late age or so I want to, so I want to be well-presentable for a long time.

Massive thanks for your inference that I'm not "well-presentable" then. I damn well am.
Reply 16
I started shedding hair like a dog this year, and unless you have problems with your thyroid (you should get tested btw) there is absolutely nothing you can do! It sucks to hear, but I searched and searched everywhere and nothing seems to slow it down, the only thing that seems to get 'relatively' good results is Propecia, but side effects include erectile dysfunction, decreased libido and is some severe cases impotence :s-smilie: ****that sheeeeeeet homey

I got the best piece of advice on TSR and I'm going to relay it to you

Original post by Skarm
Disregard hair, aquire jason statham mode.

Good luck my friend
Give up and shave it bald. Get ripped to compensate.

Fit birds will love it.
Reply 18
Massive thanks for your inference that I'm not "well-presentable" then. I damn well am.

What on earth are you talking about?

Maybe you should interpret a bit more literally, I never said that.

Good luck with whatever you do, Okay?
Reply 19
Original post by tsnake23
Do the male relatives suffer in your family from baldness? If so then its almost certainly male pattern baldness.

Unfortunately there isn't a de-facto way of curing male pattern baldness but there are medically tested ways that can reduce the hair loss or even regrow hair on certain parts of your head.

The first one is Minoxidl, sold in the shops under brand names such as 'Regaine'. It usually comes in liquid form and you need to put it on your scalp twice a day. It has been proven to stop or regrow hair loss for some men on the top and crown of your head, but isn't proven to regrow hair at the front of your head on your temples.

The second is called Finersteride, most commonly sold under the brand name Propecia. This comes in the form of a pill and is designed to reduce the effect the hormone that causes male pattern baldness has on hair loss. Again it certainly isn't guaranteed to stop hair loss or regrow it. This pill can have side effects and is quite expensive so its debatable whether its worth it.

Otherwise I can suggest having shorter hair styles. Longer hair styles will make your hair loss more apparent. Also consider using a good volumising shampoo and a decent, non-greasy hair product to make your hair appear thicker.

Well, I am not going to talk about my Family on TSR, however, your information is very useful, but before I put it on my hair, I need to check it out.

Thanks very much. You have been very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending