The Student Room Group

TSR has made me feel disheartened.

I've stumbled across a few threads on TSR about respectable and non-respectable universities. Threads such as "Russell Group universities - does it mean you're ahead of the game?". I've also seen threads that have completely bashed lower ranked universities such as "Is London Met really that bad?". All this elitism has disheartened me a little. Having studied the general gist of this site, it feels as though I'll amount to nothing if I haven't got high A-level grades, and haven't attended one of the country's best universities. I'm not sure whether it's the genuine truth in most cases or whether these young people are just being prejudice. Yes, I picked the wrong A-level subjects, yes I was concerned about financial security and yes I do go to a sub-standard university. I feel as though my only chance is to secure a first. So far so good.

Currently I'm contemplating my entire career plan. I've been contemplating this move for 2 years now. I may spend a year at Drama school in the hope to secure a top acting agent.

I'm studying biochemistry at university.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't let other people bother you. Chase your dreams, regardless of pretentious trolls. And that's coming from someone that got top Scottish grades and could have gone to any Russell Group university. The only universities that are likely to get you a leg up are Oxford and Cambridge, because of their international renown and being a household name. But obviously, a first will give you better employment prospects than a 2:2 or a 2:1.

In summary, chase your dream, stranger. Can't succeed if you don't try. And if you do fail at first, keep trying. Determination works.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by Iamyourfather
I've stumbled across a few threads on TSR about respectable and non-respectable universities. Threads such as "Russell Group universities - does it mean you're ahead of the game?". I've also seen threads that have completely bashed lower ranked universities such as "Is London Met really that bad?". All this elitism has disheartened me a little. Having studied the general gist of this site, it feels as though I'll amount to nothing if I haven't got high A-level grades, and haven't attended one of the country's best universities. I'm not sure whether it's the genuine truth in most cases or whether these young people are just being prejudice. Yes, I picked the wrong A-level subjects, yes I was concerned about financial security and yes I do go to a sub-standard university. I feel as though my only chance is to secure a first. So far so good.

Currently I'm contemplating my entire career plan. I've been contemplating this move for 2 years now. I may spend a year at Drama school in the hope to secure a top acting agent.

This website is full of pretentious ****ers. I suspect most of them are lying about their grades and achivements as a form of one-up-manship. But not everyone is like that.

University is what you make of it, and nothing more. The only yard stick of what you get from your degree, what the effort you put into it.

Don't get tunnel visioned on these elitist threads created by bored teenagers with nothing better to do. Have confidence in your self and you will go far.
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't measure yourself by other people! If you're proud of yourself then don't let anybody cheapen that achievement :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by puddleduck
Don't measure yourself by other people! If you're proud of yourself then don't let anybody cheapen that achievement :smile:

I'm not particularly proud of myself. I'd like only the best for myself. So far, I haven't proved that.
Reply 6

Did you see the thread about what grades are acceptable to even get into university? Whilst there were a few CCC, there were just as many saying only A's and B's. It makes me wonder how many stuck up tw*ts there are in our generation. Especially when AAA doesn't automatically equal a first and CDD, for example, doesn't necessarily equal a third.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think you're spending too much time on here. And I am more qualified to say something like that than most. You do need to take most of what you read on here with a really big pinch of salt, unless it's like maths help or something, they're really good there.

I don't know what else to say, you haven't asked any questions lol. To quote a hench black man: "keep doing your ting, don't let any soft ****** tell you different."

:littleangel: :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not particularly proud of myself. I'd like only the best for myself. So far, I haven't proved that.

Dont be bothered by what other people are doing.

If you are looking at them, you arent looking at yourself and your direction.

To hell with what anyone thinks, you follow your path. Your life, your decision.

Look, many people on here want to be at the top/quite high up of their respective careers, and that's fine for them, but they don't realise that others don't feel the same way (this is sounding less and less supportive the more I write :tongue:) You seem to want to do the best you can, and that doesn't have to mean going to a Russell Group uni. Do what the hell you want.

And, of course, just tell the dicks to **** off :awesome:
Reply 10
Original post by + polarity -
I think you're spending too much time on here. And I am more qualified to say something like that than most. You do need to take most of what you read on here with a really big pinch of salt, unless it like maths help or something, they're really good there.

I don't know what else to say, you haven't asked any questions lol. To quote a hench black man: "keep doing your ting, don't let any soft ****** tell you different."

:littleangel: :h:

This :smile:
Reply 11
Watching the news makes me feel disheartened.

Looking at Facebook makes me feel disheartened.

Come to think of it, a majority of humanity makes me feel disheartened.
Totally understand u even started to doubt my own achievements :redface: Take a break from TSR and it really puts things in perspective. Ignore the show offs after all it's your life, so purse your own goals etc...

Funny thing is lost on people have yet to realize the real word (myself included :tongue:). Things will work out if you stay motivated and determined :h:
Reply 13
It wasn't supportive . He didn't state that he didn't want to be at the top of his field . It isn't necessary to go to university at all to be at the top of a field . Yes it helps , but with regard marginal ranking stupidity it doesent . As mentioned before appart from Cambridge , if and when you leave these islands . Nobody will know / care . Furthermore even regarding Cambridge etc , subject wise there are usually better university's world wide . Doing something better than anyone is what you need to strive for . Even working for yourself . If not look at the requirements for the job you want / look at a few of the the highest paid jobs in that sector then see what they want . Maybe contact them and ask .

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Biscuit
Original post by Moofin
It wasn't supportive . He didn't state that he didn't want to be at the top of his field . It isn't necessary to go to university at all to be at the top of a field . Yes it helps , but with regard marginal ranking stupidity it doesent . As mentioned before appart from Cambridge , if and when you leave these islands . Nobody will know / care . Furthermore even regarding Cambridge etc , subject wise there are usually better university's world wide . Doing something better than anyone is what you need to strive for . Even working for yourself . If not look at the requirements for the job you want / look at a few of the the highest paid jobs in that sector then see what they want . Maybe contact them and ask .

Is this in reference to my post? :holmes:
Reply 15
Original post by Moofin

Maybe it's just late but I don't get some of what you've said.
Reply 16

I am proud of you. :colondollar:
Reply 17
To be honest when I first joined TSR, I went into a complete panic mode after I realised there were such a thing as "elite" unis. I had good grades (certainly not by TSR standards, ABB) but applied to substandard universities. TSR actually motivated me to take a gap year, get my grades to all As and got into a great uni. Mind you, I completely flopped my GCSEs (and I mean completely) so it was my A levels or nothing.

The problem now however is I wonder if my degree will get me a job. That's ultimately the question. You can go to a crappy university and work your way up to a top placement/job. Those who go to great unis get those jobs sooner but it doesn't mean they're out of the question for everyone else.

Regarding your dreams, analyse them rationally and carefully. The "follow your dreams" advice isn't really helpful if you'll end up homeless. If you sincerely believe you'd be successful and there is a genuine chance you could make it, by all means, fight tooth and nail to get there. You're still young and have plenty of time to pick yourself up if you fail. But most importantly, make sure you have an insurance policy in case everything doesn't work out. Have something to fall back on to guarantee you'd be able to sustain yourself and live a comfortable life if your dreams don't materialize.

Don't feel depressed OP.
(edited 11 years ago)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Student%20Room

Came across this website. A little...uh...intensely worded. :colondollar:
Reply 19
Original post by Flying_pigs1414
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Student%20Room

Came across this website. A little...uh...intensely worded. :colondollar:

:laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending