The Student Room Group

Desmond Tutu calls for Bush and Blair to be tried at the Hague over the Iraq War.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19454562

What do we think? His reasoning is that the idea of WMDs was a lie, and that as a result of the war the conditions in the middle east are much less stable now than they were before the war, despite the brutality of the Hussain regime...

I'm a little divided on the matter personally... on the one hand, Iraq might genuinely be a better place now than what it was before the war, but on the other, as far as I know, the war was not sanctioned by the UN, and the British & American's invaded anyway - surely that in itself is a crime? Furthermore, what right does any nation have to simply go and remove another's leader for whatever reason, if the UN does not sanction doing so?

Anyway, what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

As someone who supported the Iraq war at the time and would defend it to this day, Undoubtedly yes.

There are significant questions that should be answered. The fact that I believe it was right is irrelevent, there is enough of a justification for them to justify their 'crimes' in court.

If you think what you did was right, you should never be afraid of justice.
(edited 11 years ago)
As mentioned in the article, it is a legal minefield (no pun intended) because there were resolutions against Iraq; the question comes in whether this permits war, and also whether the reasons for the main resolution (1441) were actually factually true to the best of their knowledge. Ultimately only the USA and the UK governments will know whether the WMD intelligence was fraudulent or not, but independent reviews have suggested that their was a genuine fear of their existence.

Personally I'm glad it happened. Iraq was run by a violent dictator and I agree with Blair that this is moral grounds in itself for war (though probably not legal). Would we rather have had more massacres of innocent civilians and an unstable regime? The war was obviously brutal for several countries, we have lost troops because of it but this isn't an argument against the war in itself. If people join the Army then they agree to fight for their GOVERNMENT essentially and therefore you have to accept that you will can and will be deployed in these situations regardless of whether they are morally correct or not. If you don't want to, don't join the army.

No doubt I'll get tons of negative rep for this opinion, but hey ho!
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19454562

What do we think? His reasoning is that the idea of WMDs was a lie, and that as a result of the war the conditions in the middle east are much less stable now than they were before the war, despite the brutality of the Hussain regime...

I'm a little divided on the matter personally... on the one hand, Iraq might genuinely be a better place now than what it was before the war, but on the other, as far as I know, the war was not sanctioned by the UN, and the British & American's invaded anyway - surely that in itself is a crime? Furthermore, what right does any nation have to simply go and remove another's leader for whatever reason, if the UN does not sanction doing so?

Anyway, what do you think?

That bit, they keep repeating. But we never went to war for humanitarian reasons. Everybody knows that nor was that ever stated, but it sounds good doesn't it?

There are many questions to be answered. The war was quite clearly illegal so they should be tried. But I'm afraid, they are above the international courts. It will never happen.
Original post by The Gentle Giant
As someone who supported the Iraq war at the time and would defend it to this day, Undoubtedly yes.

There are significant questions that should be answered. The fact that I believe it was right is irrelevent, there is enough of a justification for them to justify their crimes in court.

If you think what you did was right, you should never be afraid of justice.

Is it a definitive crime though? There is legal doubt, but definitely no definitive law has been broken and you cannot trial someone when no law has been broken.
Original post by silent ninja
That bit, they keep repeating. But we never went to war for humanitarian reasons. Everybody knows that nor was that ever stated, but it sounds good doesn't it?

There are many questions to be answered. The war was quite clearly illegal so they should be tried. But I'm afraid, they are above the international courts. It will never happen.

How was it "quite clearly illegal"?

UN resolution 1441: http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N02/682/26/PDF/N0268226.pdf?OpenElement

It states "Recalling that its resolution 678 (1990) authorized Member States to use all necessary means to uphold and implement its resolution 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990 and all relevant resolutions subsequent to resolution 660 (1990) and to restore international peace and security in the area,"
This could authorise force.

Whether or not we went distinctly for humanitarian reasons or not is irrelevant, it's just an addition which with hindsight STRENGTHENS the case for the war.
Original post by MattKneale
Is it a definitive crime though? There is legal doubt, but definitely no definitive law has been broken and you cannot trial someone when no law has been broken.

TBH, I have absolutely no idea. I havent studied international law, and wouldnt be able to say. I do personally think that a great deal attributed to malice or ideology was in fact driven by incompetance and poor planning, but I think that isnt a crime.

The issue is that both Bush and Blair will be tarred by this for the rest of their lives, as will the principle of western intervention against mass murdering ****-wits. The only way to deal with that is to get taken to a court and explain to the entire international community why what they did wasnt a crime, or if it were a crime if it were justified.

That said, its more than possible I just have a naive interpretation of the international justice system
TBH, I have absolutely no idea. I havent studied international law, and wouldnt be able to say. I do personally think that a great deal attributed to malice or ideology was in fact driven by incompetance and poor planning, but I think that isnt a crime.

The issue is that both Bush and Blair will be tarred by this for the rest of their lives, as will the principle of western intervention against mass murdering ****-wits. The only way to deal with that is to get taken to a court and explain to the entire international community why what they did wasnt a crime, or if it were a crime if it were justified.

That said, its more than possible I just have a naive interpretation of the international justice system

My point was you can't take them to court if no crime is suspected of being committed, which is the case here.

You could hold inquiries, or reviews of what happened -- and these have occurred -- and have come back with the verdict that what they did was lawful (morals aside).
(edited 11 years ago)
My point was you can't take them to court if no crime is suspected of being committed, which is the case here.

You're probably right, but can the ICC (not the cricket guys, the other ones) hold those sorts of enquiries and say 'all is well here'? I thought they were limited to actually prosecuting people? And if they cant, which body would be respected enough and have the authority to force people to testify?

Genuinely curious here
You're probably right, but can the ICC (not the cricket guys, the other ones) hold those sorts of enquiries and say 'all is well here'? I thought they were limited to actually prosecuting people? And if they cant, which body would be respected enough and have the authority to force people to testify?

Genuinely curious here

Good question, and probably something that should be addressed. I'm not sure the ICC has much respect anyway, though, as it's usual role is stating the blindingly obvious.
Good question, and probably something that should be addressed. I'm not sure the ICC has much respect anyway, though, as it's usual role is stating the blindingly obvious.

...And also taking a very long time to do it...
Isn't Tutu one of the archbishops firmly opposed to homosexuality?

:rolleyes:

Double standards.

War is wrong! But hating gays is cool, brah.
"Less stable now than before the war" HAHAHA does he have any idea on what he's talking about?

I supported the war on Iraq and I don't think they should be tried.

Edit; Irregardless of any of the above, they have by international law committed no war crimes. They broke no international law pertaining the action of their forces once in Iraq so this won't happen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ilickbatteries

Double standards.

To be fair hatred is different from simple opposition -saying you think homosexuality is wrong (a view which I don't subscribe to to be clear...) is very different from saying homosexuals should be discriminated against... Although I honestly don't know enough about his stance on it to say much.
Original post by ilickbatteries

Double standards.

He's also the guy that met the leader of Hamas the day they carried out war crimes by firing 50 rockets into Israel, but you won't hear him say anything about that. I detest double standards and I detest it even more when it comes from people like Tutu, who we are almost required to respect.
Reply 15
I wonder if he thinks we should go into Syria or not?
I think arresting them for the Iraq war in general is a little shaky, especially considering the relatively low numbers of leaders who have actually been tried by the ICC so far. Trying world leaders at the Hague tends to be for war crimes, not unjustified wars because the world doesn't really have a single handy definition for justified war.

I do, however, think that arresting them for the war crimes committed within the Iraq War (like 'advanced interrogation techniques' often used on people who turned out to be innocent civilians) is completely justified. This is the reason that the US does not support the ICC: under its rules, almost all of our leaders could be tried for war crimes because the US government tends to think that international law should apply to everybody but them.
As mentioned in the article, it is a legal minefield (no pun intended) because there were resolutions against Iraq; the question comes in whether this permits war, and also whether the reasons for the main resolution (1441) were actually factually true to the best of their knowledge. Ultimately only the USA and the UK governments will know whether the WMD intelligence was fraudulent or not, but independent reviews have suggested that their was a genuine fear of their existence.

Personally I'm glad it happened. Iraq was run by a violent dictator and I agree with Blair that this is moral grounds in itself for war (though probably not legal). Would we rather have had more massacres of innocent civilians and an unstable regime? The war was obviously brutal for several countries, we have lost troops because of it but this isn't an argument against the war in itself. If people join the Army then they agree to fight for their GOVERNMENT essentially and therefore you have to accept that you will can and will be deployed in these situations regardless of whether they are morally correct or not. If you don't want to, don't join the army.

No doubt I'll get tons of negative rep for this opinion, but hey ho!

It was better off and safer under the dictator, then it is now. <<<<< From what Iraqis tell me.
And yh Saddam was a little idiotic freak.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
"Less stable now than before the war" HAHAHA does he have any idea on what he's talking about?

Remember that Tutu's bread and butter is Christianity.

It's an indisputable fact that Christians were 38467284712% safer under Saddam than they are now.
I still don't understand what was illegal. Saddam Hussein had threatened the use of WMDs. Surely that's any good reason to go to war. We shouldn't have to check whether they're lying or not. It's Saddam Hussein's problem if he gets his arse kicked out. It shouldn't be about making it safer or whatever 'oil war' means.

Original post by IdeasForLife
It was better off and safer under the dictator, then it is now. <<<<< From what Iraqis tell me.
And yh Saddam was a little idiotic freak.

Better off having hundreds of thousands of people gassed to death? Cool beans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending