The Student Room Group

is economic history degree highly sought after for a career in finance?

See above
Reply 1
Can you be a bit more specific about which area within finance? Or just a general wondering?
Reply 2
I'm going to say no. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it holds you back at all, but I can't think of any finance jobs out there thinking 'what I really need is somebody with an economic history degree'. It's a good degree, it will help you get places if you're good, but it's not a prerequisite for anything and it's not going to put you ahead of other decent degrees.
Not mathematical enough.
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
Can you be a bit more specific about which area within finance? Or just a general wondering?

Just general wondering, maybe stockbroking or investment banking
Reply 5
Original post by h.b123
Just general wondering, maybe stockbroking or investment banking

Might struggle. Those probably want something more mathematical. Not that I have a clue really :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by M1011
Might struggle. Those probably want something more mathematical. Not that I have a clue really :tongue:

What do you suggest then? I'm not too good with mathd - no math a level...
Reply 7
Original post by h.b123
What do you suggest then? I'm not too good with mathd - no math a level...

Well I don't worth in IB or stockbroking, so take whatever I say with a big pinch of salt, but if you aren't to good at maths are you sure these are good career goals?
Reply 8
Original post by M1011
Well I don't worth in IB or stockbroking, so take whatever I say with a big pinch of salt, but if you aren't to good at maths are you sure these are good career goals?

Yeah ok, I think ill enjoy it + lots of moniess - ha
Reply 9
Original post by h.b123
Yeah ok, I think ill enjoy it + lots of moniess - ha

Well that's true, but keep other options open just in case :smile:

Oh and by 'I don't worth' I believe I meant 'I don't work' lol.
Original post by h.b123
See above

Probably not as useful as an economic forecasting degree: predicting how to make money in the future is generally more lucrative than studying how it was done in the past.

Ok joking aside: people have gotten into finance with all sorts of degrees and I suppose that economic history is a bit more relevant than geography or English however it seems that your exact degree doesn't really seem to matter very much when it comes to employee selection.
Reply 11
Original post by snakesnake
Probably not as useful as an economic forecasting degree: predicting how to make money in the future is generally more lucrative than studying how it was done in the past.

Ok joking aside: people have gotten into finance with all sorts of degrees and I suppose that economic history is a bit more relevant than geography or English however it seems that your exact degree doesn't really seem to matter very much when it comes to employee selection.

Thanks for your help, even if it were to come from a top institution like LSE, Edinburgh?

Quick Reply

Latest