The Student Room Group

Is it bad if i do 2 a levels in year 13?

I am just starting year 13 and i have completed my maths a level a year early and i am going to do further maths this year. I have done 3 other AS levels and already dropped 1 of them (DT) for year 13.

What i want to know is will it affect my chances of getting into a good uni if i drop another subject (chemistry) because i will still have 3 a levels at the end of year 13 in maths, further maths and physics but only an AS in DT and chemistry?

Some people have said that uni's dont like it when you only do two a levels in year 13 which is what i would be doing if i dropped chemistry as well
(edited 11 years ago)
if you want to apply to top universities like imperial, then yes it will affect you as they require you to be studying at least 3 subjects at A2 level in the year of entry (unless you're on a gap year).
Reply 2
Yes it is bad.

Universities want proof that you can cope with a large workload, that's why they expect you to do three A2's in year 13.
Reply 3
Depends where you want to go. I ended up doing 2 full A Levels, 2 AS levels (and A level General Studies), which hasn't caused me any problems so far- went to Cardiff Uni, have just done a PGCE and got a teaching job. But maybe unis with higher expectations would take issue with that.
Reply 4
It will effect your application if you want to apply to a top university, I think that is because top university's want student to be able to handle a heavy work load to prove they can 'survive' the university course.
Reply 5
Your uni will give you what grades they want from you so they might say for example, 'aaa' so if you do three subjects at A2 youll look good to the uni youve applied to and it wont be an excuse for them to not give you an offer, but if you dont do well in chemistry it doesnt matter bcos youll have your maths as the third subject and youll still get aaa!
Reply 6
Original post by RonM95
I am just starting year 13 and i have completed my maths a level a year early and i am going to do further maths this year. I have done 3 other AS levels and already dropped 1 of them (DT) for year 13.

What i want to know is will it affect my chances of getting into a good uni if i drop another subject (chemistry) because i will still have 3 a levels at the end of year 13 in maths, further maths and physics but only an AS in DT and chemistry?

Some people have said that uni's dont like it when you only do two a levels in year 13 which is what i would be doing if i dropped chemistry as well

It's fine, I know many who did that, one of whom was given an offer from Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending