The Student Room Group

Are there a lot of people who go to open days themselves?

None of my friends want to go to edinburgh (they want to go to dundee) but I want to go to edinburgh's open day but I can't get anyone to come as they think it would be pointless for them. So would I look weird going myself? And who do most people go with, their friends, themselves or with parents?

edit: how do I add a poll?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
You won't look weird going on your own (I'm doing it) and in some ways it'll be better for you to go on your own because you'll get your own perspective on the university and the area, rather than someone else's bias.

(as for the poll, no idea!)
Reply 2
I went to an open day on my own, I was 29 so have maybe less of a worry about image and looking weird. I got some soup.
Reply 3
Yes I went to almost every university open day by myself. I learnt this early because many kids in my school boarded so they saw the open days as a jolly to go to the pub and not actually visit the university. Also, I was pretty insistent with myself that I wanted to see universities through my eyes and not be biased by my mum's/friends' views as it was me who was going to be there for 3 years. And I don't know about your family, but my mum would have taken over the whole day had I gone.

Nobody cared that I was on my own.
Reply 4
I went to two open days in june and I think in some ways I would rather had went myself. Going with friends often means missing talks you want to hear and having to sit through totally irrelevant ones. At both, I saw people alone and I went to talks alone, and it wasn't weird. I'm also going to the Edinburgh open day (again, 'cause June was a wash out and it put me off), and a good few of my friends are coming, but I'll probably end up going to what I want to go to on my own when I'm there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending