Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are the Paras changing people's views of disability?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think they are having an unfortunate negative effect. From my personal experiences, some people have seen the athletes perform amazing feats of sports and then increase their prejudices of ordinary disabled people.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't agree, but can see why you think so, but does not the same prejudices occur with abled body non athletic types?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divingbrit)
    but does not the same prejudices occur with abled body non athletic types?
    In what way?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the disability, an example is someone in a wheelchair can clearly be seen to be disabled, yet someone with MS cannot. My sister gets questioned sometimes by people when she is walking down the road with a walking stick and walking a bit wobbly...some people think she is taking the mick or drunk, they dont understand she has MS.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't agree, but can see why you think so, but does not the same prejudices occur with abled body non athletic types?
    Was thinking how those abled body, but completely not into sport at all, those who are 'last picked' for the team, the 'geeky nerds' So the footballer held in higher esteem than the maths teacher
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is some people see disabled people as being lazy as those in the Paralympics can do sport, why cant they.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ahh, yes, well real disabled people are not lazy, unfortunately those abled bodyed who are lazy, try to pretend they are disabled, hence the new stricter disability benefit rules, which all real disabled people should not to have to worry about, but those trying to 'fake' should be found out.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    What I mean is some people see disabled people as being lazy as those in the Paralympics can do sport, why cant they.
    Ah yes, he does that, so why can't you? It's just going to make attitudes worse. Just because they can do sport (many with lower limb disabilities use swimming as physio) doesn't mean other disabled people can. And if disabled people can do sport, why can't non-disabled people? Many of the paralympians are lucky that they've been able to get funding, etc. for their chosen sport.
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for society, but I sincerely hope they're having a positive impact.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, certainly not having any effect on me personally. I mean theres a para olympics every four years. its not something new and revolutionary
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    I can't run 200m in Usain Bolt's 19.19. I don't think people see me as lazy because of it.

(Original post by mugshot)
    It depends on the disability, an example is someone in a wheelchair can clearly be seen to be disabled, yet someone with MS cannot. My sister gets questioned sometimes by people when she is walking down the road with a walking stick and walking a bit wobbly...some people think she is taking the mick or drunk, they dont understand she has MS.
    One very unfortunate guy i met had no peripheral vision at all. Walking through crowds, he'd constantly bump into people, get knocked to the floor, knock ladies to the floor. Carrying a white stick (as he's entitled to do) mostly stopped this happening. However, he can still read. Apparently, multiple times people have seen him get on the train, pick up a newspaper, then decide he needs an earful of abuse for being a benefits cheat and even felt the need to physically assault him on two occasions. Even though he doesn't claim benefits. Ignorant people :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I can't run 200m in Usain Bolt's 19.19. I don't think people see me as lazy because of it.

One very unfortunate guy i met had no peripheral vision at all. Walking through crowds, he'd constantly bump into people, get knocked to the floor, knock ladies to the floor. Carrying a white stick (as he's entitled to do) mostly stopped this happening. However, he can still read. Apparently, multiple times people have seen him get on the train, pick up a newspaper, then decide he needs an earful of abuse for being a benefits cheat and even felt the need to physically assault him on two occasions. Even though he doesn't claim benefits. Ignorant people :mad:
    I know its awful, my sis is 27 and had people twice her age saying nasty stuff...even at her workplace!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had some people saying nasty stuff to me in relation to my disabilities. I even had a bus driver accuse me of stealing a disabled persons bus pass. My name and photo are on it.

There is one thing that really worries me - I sometimes use a cane to get around. Mostly because I can't judge depth or distance. If I don't need it, it's folded up. I sometimes use it when I'm catching buses (can't see the numbers and find that bus drivers are fantastic if I've got my cane) and when I get on the bus, I'm usually doing stuff on my phone. I am worried that some think I'm faking it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I've had some people saying nasty stuff to me in relation to my disabilities. I even had a bus driver accuse me of stealing a disabled persons bus pass. My name and photo are on it.

There is one thing that really worries me - I sometimes use a cane to get around. Mostly because I can't judge depth or distance. If I don't need it, it's folded up. I sometimes use it when I'm catching buses (can't see the numbers and find that bus drivers are fantastic if I've got my cane) and when I get on the bus, I'm usually doing stuff on my phone. I am worried that some think I'm faking it.
    Its annoying that in this day and age people feel that others do fake illness to claim benefits and that people who do have issues bear the brunt of ill informed people.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mugshot)
    Its annoying that in this day and age people feel that others do fake illness to claim benefits and that people who do have issues bear the brunt of ill informed people.
    I used to know someone who has problems with his joints. He uses crutches to get around. He was reported for supposedly claiming benefits when he shouldn't be. He wasn't even claiming the benefits this person believes he shouldn't be claiming.

Unfortunately for me, I volunteer and one the of the ladies there believes that one of the conditions I have (no-one knows I have this) doesn't exist and that we're all just spoilt brats.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divingbrit)
    ahh, yes, well real disabled people are not lazy, unfortunately those abled bodyed who are lazy, try to pretend they are disabled, hence the new stricter disability benefit rules, which all real disabled people should not to have to worry about, but those trying to 'fake' should be found out.
    Except the new "stricter" rules are EASIER to fake - a 20 minute visit to an assessment once a year is much easier to fake than regular visits to your GP. The people who are lsoing their entitlement to ESA (and are likely to lose their DLA when that gets replaced next year by the same 20 minute assessments and PIP) are the people who when asked "can you lift your arm" will try and struggle and do it even if it causes them agony and stops them from functioning for days*. The fakers can fake for the assessment - the people who are honest but don't understand the system are being penalised.

*because they don't realise that the criteria state "without pain" and "repeatedly" and "in a reasonable time" and the assessors deliberatly DON'T mention that because if they sign off too many people as eligible for benefit then they get reviewed and audited(!)

The move from DLA to PIP wants to reduce claimants by 20%. The government's rate of fraud on DLA is 0.5% (and the DWPs error rate is around the same).

Implimenting the assessments for PIP will cost millions which is being paid to private contractors (while before assessments were part of the process of being treated on the NHS - your consultant, physio, OT, social worker, GP etc would assess your abilities).

The government and the DWP have had a drip feed campaign reiterating the "scrounger" and "faker" stories to the press for the last 18 months - paving the way for their changes. Changes that will not reduce fraud but will cost a lot to impliment and will see money going to private companies instead of to disabled people.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.