The Student Room Group

Should I intermit my nursing degree?

I'm studying adult nursing at BCU and I'm supposed to start second year in a few weeks.The last few months have been really tough though, I got kicked out of home and had to take special leave from my second placement. We also had random reading weeks plonked in the middle of the placement which didn't give use much opportunity to work with our mentors.

As a result of this I haven't passed second placement as they "haven't had time to assess me", and suggested I retake it in a 4 week placement so I did. I got ill last week with a virus and had to take 4 days off and now it's looking really bleak for me as this is only a short placement and my mentors are so busy that I don't get chance to work with them much even when I'm there.

On top of this I suffer biological depression and we are struggling to get my medication just right so I'm up and down all the time. After the homeless incident and breaking up with my partner I'm finding concentration hard.

I'm thinking that all of this time off is going to look bad when I do graduate so was thinking about intermitting my studies and redoing the entire 9 week placement in April. I did great in all my exams and got the highest grade in my first placement and I don't want to ruin it.

What do you think looks better, taking time out voluntarily or possibly failing and being forced to? Also, do you think that there will also be a record kept of all the time I've had off, even if I intermitt and completely forget this placement?

Sorry it's an essay but I'm really stressing about my future as a nurse!
If it says in your course handbook that your attendance is monitored and that you must achieve a minimum percentage, then yes, a record will exist somewhere and may not be wiped clean just because you interrupt your studies. But you need to think about what will make you do the best placement you can, and if interrupting and then doing it in April will help your well-being and make you less stressed, then do that. Try not to think about what 'looks better' on your transcript, as you could stay and struggle, and then will that look good when you had the opportunity to interrupt?

Quick Reply

Latest