The Student Room Group

Reapplying 2013

Hi.
Basically, I have finished my A2's, didnt get my first choice of uni and I decided my insurance wasnt somewhere I wanted to go anymore, so I'm reapplying for 2013 entry. In this year, I'll be retaking a few modules to push my overall grades to A and A*s.
Does anyone have any advice on university applications, studying again, encouragement and so forth? It'd be much appreciated.

Peace.
Jen
Original post by corrblimeyy
Hi.
Basically, I have finished my A2's, didnt get my first choice of uni and I decided my insurance wasnt somewhere I wanted to go anymore, so I'm reapplying for 2013 entry. In this year, I'll be retaking a few modules to push my overall grades to A and A*s.
Does anyone have any advice on university applications, studying again, encouragement and so forth? It'd be much appreciated.

Peace.
Jen

Not sure if its any help but I'm doing pretty much the same thing :biggrin: I didn't feel I gave my application my best shot at all and was really young to be making such important decisions, so I'm doing a year out then reapplying! Do you know what you'll do during your year? At the moment I'm doing work experience until Christmas but I'm struggling to know what to fill the other six months or so with, since I'm not doing resits or anything :P So in terms of encouragement I think its a great thing to do :biggrin: For uni applications what subject/ where are you thinking of applying ? :biggrin:

Hope this helped / at least you know you're not the only one!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2104163

Hey guys, made this for others in the same boat
Reply 3
Im doing the same, re siting just 3 exams in January.. i just find it so annoying that we still have to apply well before even sitting our exams, never mind getting the results.. so we have to apply with the results we have at the moment, and not the results we hopefully will end up with.
sigh,
However everyone who asks what i'm doing and when i say Gap Year, It does sound pretty cool, and my CV will look much better.

Our A levels should end up looking much better, and I personally will find it a lot easier to revise for these exams in January.

Everyone also agrees that I was right in not rushing into a course and Uni that I wasn't 100% happy with. As well as all my parents and parents friends and anyone who is older points out, that a year out is something that will fly by and is nothing in the long term, and near enough everyone who didn't take one regrets it.

So I wouldn't worry, your exams will work out great, and you'll have a great time after, and a good rest before the strains of Uni. You'll be great, and you will most likely end up with unconditional offers, which are the bees knees.

Revision wise, just work harder, and try and have completed all of the past papers by the middle of November (at least thats my plan for maths, physics and chem (units 5 and core 4). And hopefully youll have much fewer exams to work for too :smile:

Hope this helps. I think/know you've made the right decision. Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
Hi guys.

Thank you very much, really reassured me.
So when applying like via UCAS again, will unis look down on my application because I'm resitting?
Reply 5
Original post by bigfishlittlefish9
Not sure if its any help but I'm doing pretty much the same thing :biggrin: I didn't feel I gave my application my best shot at all and was really young to be making such important decisions, so I'm doing a year out then reapplying! Do you know what you'll do during your year? At the moment I'm doing work experience until Christmas but I'm struggling to know what to fill the other six months or so with, since I'm not doing resits or anything :P So in terms of encouragement I think its a great thing to do :biggrin: For uni applications what subject/ where are you thinking of applying ? :biggrin:

Hope this helped / at least you know you're not the only one!

Well I'm appying to do Law, again, I didnt get my firm, and it was only one A2 subject that let me down. In terms of reapplying, I was thinking Queen Mary or York.. wbu?
I was planning to do work experience in between, because its basically 4 exams, 2 in Jan and 2 in June, so I was just going to get as much experience as I can.
Hi guys.

So when applying like via UCAS again, will unis look down on my application because I'm resitting?

I'm not an expert, so this is just my opinion, but I would guess that they prefer if you've done it in one go, but depending on how much time you think you will need for your studies you could possibly look at doing other things in your Gap year to improve your application, like for example work experience (depending on the course) or something 'character building' and when you apply make it clear that you're not just doing the Gap Year to resit, you're also benefitting from it in other ways ... hope that helps :smile:

Shouldn't be a huge issue though I wouldn't think as long as the overall application is good :smile:
Hi guys.

for QM and York, I think it would be fine, some are a bit aganist it though
Well I'm appying to do Law, again, I didnt get my firm, and it was only one A2 subject that let me down. In terms of reapplying, I was thinking Queen Mary or York.. wbu?
I was planning to do work experience in between, because its basically 4 exams, 2 in Jan and 2 in June, so I was just going to get as much experience as I can.

Sorry I posted just before I saw this! Whoops! Ignore that other post! In which case I think they'll have no problem with the Gap Year/resits, just make it clear all the ways its making you a better candidate :smile: (this is certainly what I've been advised by the Head of Sixth Form at my school )

I'm applying for Physics and Philosophy... so doing work experience now, and then hopefully exciting stuff next year when my application is out the way :P not sure yet ... not too many places do my course :/ but we shall see :P good luck anyways :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending