The Student Room Group

Text book help.

My sister is starting a law degree and asked me to find her two text books she needs.

I can buy a 8th edition for 20 poundsish or a 7th for 1p, how great is the difference between editions when it comes to law?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone!?
Don't know if this useful but my A-Level Law teacher rarely let us use old editions because as he said 'the law is constantly changing/evolving'. Maybe check if there have been any major reforms to the parts of the law that your sister will be studying, and if there haven't buy the old one? I'd probably advise she buys the newest one in case of new case law and such.
Reply 3
well that's what she thought but 20 quid difference is mental! i'd just write the corrections in with pen!

Thank you though :smile:
Reply 4
What are the text books? When were the editions released? What is new about the latest edition? I couldn't answer without that information.
Reply 5
contract law- 2009 published- it doesn't say anything
tort law -2009 published- This eighth edition has been fully updated to cover the latest developments in tort law, including:

The Defamation Bill 2011Mitchell v Glasgow City Council (2009), Calvert v William Hill (2009), Corby Group Litigation v Corby Borough Council (2009), Gray v Thames Trains Ltd (2009) in negligence;

Metropolitan International Schools Ltd v Designtechnica Corp, Google UK Ltd, Google Inc (2009), British Chiropractic Association v Singh (2010) and Flood v Times Newspapers Ltd (2009) in defamation;

The Author of a Blog v Times Newspapers Limited (2009), Terry v Person Unknown (2010) in privacy;

MAGA v Trustees of the Birmingham Archdiocese of the Roman Catholic Church (2010) on vicarious liability.
Reply 6
Original post by andymt
What are the text books? When were the editions released? What is new about the latest edition? I couldn't answer without that information.

forgot to quote you so read the above post :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by RosieH7
contract law- 2009 published- it doesn't say anything
tort law -2009 published- This eighth edition has been fully updated to cover the latest developments in tort law, including:

The Defamation Bill 2011Mitchell v Glasgow City Council (2009), Calvert v William Hill (2009), Corby Group Litigation v Corby Borough Council (2009), Gray v Thames Trains Ltd (2009) in negligence;

Metropolitan International Schools Ltd v Designtechnica Corp, Google UK Ltd, Google Inc (2009), British Chiropractic Association v Singh (2010) and Flood v Times Newspapers Ltd (2009) in defamation;

The Author of a Blog v Times Newspapers Limited (2009), Terry v Person Unknown (2010) in privacy;

MAGA v Trustees of the Birmingham Archdiocese of the Roman Catholic Church (2010) on vicarious liability.

You haven't said what the textbooks are - there are scores of books called 'contract law' and 'tort law'. But anyway, looking at the updates for the tort book, you are going to need to buy the latest edition.
Reply 8
Original post by andymt
You haven't said what the textbooks are - there are scores of books called 'contract law' and 'tort law'. But anyway, looking at the updates for the tort book, you are going to need to buy the latest edition.

umm the elliot and quinn ones. Couldn't i just photocopy the new pages?
Reply 9
Original post by RosieH7
umm the elliot and quinn ones. Couldn't i just photocopy the new pages?

Tort law is a fast changing subject, so there is going to be a lot of photocopying. Look, when it's someone's education at stake, someone who is already paying a lot for tuition fees, quibbling over £20 isn't worth it. The most important consideration is getting good grades and to do that you need decent, up to date textbooks.
Reply 10
Original post by andymt
Tort law is a fast changing subject, so there is going to be a lot of photocopying. Look, when it's someone's education at stake, someone who is already paying a lot for tuition fees, quibbling over £20 isn't worth it. The most important consideration is getting good grades and to do that you need decent, up to date textbooks.

Oh ok, thanks
Using a slightly out of date textbook isn't really a huge deal. It will teach you the basic principles, and it is highly unlikely that any recent developments will dramatically change the nature of either Contract or Tort Law.

But you (or your sister in this case) should definitely make sure you keep on top of any updates that may have occurred since the textbook was published, such as through journal articles or lecture notes.
Reply 12
They just recomended the text books so i figured they couldn't actually be super important just very useful so it wouldn't matter too much about editions?
Reply 13
Original post by RosieH7
They just recomended the text books so i figured they couldn't actually be super important just very useful so it wouldn't matter too much about editions?

Jesus, stop being so cheap.
Reply 14
Original post by Norton1
Jesus, stop being so cheap.

she has no money you idiot.

Her degree is through work, so she doesn't get any loans or whatever, she's paying for a mortgage as well as paying off a previous loan. She isn't exactly on good money either so do one you clown.
Reply 15
Original post by RosieH7
she has no money you idiot.

Her degree is through work, so she doesn't get any loans or whatever, she's paying for a mortgage as well as paying off a previous loan. She isn't exactly on good money either so do one you clown.

Why don't you do one?

(a) You've inserted hitherto completely unknown circumstances

and

(b) If she gets the law wrong then that'll look terrible in essays and exams. It's a false economy. If it can't be done properly don't do it at all.
Reply 16
Original post by Norton1
Why don't you do one?

(a) You've inserted hitherto completely unknown circumstances

and

(b) If she gets the law wrong then that'll look terrible in essays and exams. It's a false economy. If it can't be done properly don't do it at all.

a) Tbh I didn't really want to say anything as it's nothing to do with me she just wanted people's opinions on her textbooks, not her.

b)That's why I was asking the question in the first place, what is the big difference, obviously she wouldn't buy a book which would be useless, she is just very skint at the moment.

If you'd have just said 'you need the up to date versions' i'd have said thank you, instead you just jump in with comments that don't help.
Reply 17
I'm in a similar situation to your sister - full time job, mortgage, no funding and I pay most of my own fees. I know its tempting to buy the cheaper editions but its not worth it - I know I could buy all the old editions of the books I need for pennies but the law does constantly change and I can't risk relying on a legal point which no longer applies or missing out an important new case.

So unfortunately I'll need to bite the bullet and buy the new ones... I suggest you/your sister do the same :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
Original post by ~*Kate*~
I'm in a similar situation to your sister - full time job, mortgage, no funding and I pay most of my own fees. I know its tempting to buy the cheaper editions but its not worth it - I know I could buy all the old editions of the books I need for pennies but the law does constantly change and I can't risk relying on a legal point which no longer applies or missing out an important new case.

So unfortunately I'll need to bite the bullet and buy the new ones... I suggest you/your sister do the same :smile:

Thanks for your help/opinion :smile: and congrats, you and my sister are amazing juggling everything!!!
Reply 19
Original post by RosieH7
Thanks for your help/opinion :smile: and congrats, you and my sister are amazing juggling everything!!!

Thanks, its all down to good time management... I can't take all the credit though, my boyfriend helps by sharing the burden (and the mortgage!) with me... Best of luck to your sister :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest