The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do A-level Chemistry in a year?

Okay, so I've realised I want to do Biomedicine with the slightly humongous problem that I haven't taken Chemistry, which is needed. I don't really want to resit a year and would prefer to get it over and done with, but if I have to, I will.

So will it be possible to do AS AND A level chemistry in one year along with Maths and Biology A2 along with some AS resits? This sounds like a hell of a lot of work but if I'm motivated and determined enough, will it be possible? I'd need grades around the AAB mark.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Hi :smile:

What you mentioned above sounds incredibly hard! It's good that you're being realistic about it though, weighing into account your other subjects.

Personally, I would have found it impossible to do A2 Biology, Maths, AS resits as well an entire Chemistry A level! No matter how motivated I was, that would been an impossible feat for me.

I can understand you wanting to get the A levels done and dusted and not take another year out doing the Chemistry; but there is no harm in delaying the A2 Chemistry, and just trying to get the AS in one year (which to be honest, is a lot of work even at that!). That way, you could really boost your chances of getting good grades in your resits for AS, pick up Chemistry at your own pace and hopefully keep you on track for the higher grades. (And then you have a year to get your A2 Chemistry and any other resits you might choose to do again..)

Taking on an entire A level may endanger your other A2s as well as your AS resits, plus it's a whole new subject to get your head round.

Before making a decision, maybe speak with your teachers for some guidance and see what they feel is the best move for you :smile:

Best of luck xx
I did exactly the same thing as you, realised I want to do Biomedical Science at the end of my AS year. The problem was I had taken Biology, History, Classics and French.

What I did was drop History and pick up Chemistry AS, then I stayed an extra year to take it to the full A2. Although I had to stay behind when all my friends left, it actually worked out really well for me and I don't regret it at all.

If I were you I would just do the AS and then stay an extra year, it would be very difficult to do the whole thing in one go. You should be fine with resits and AS though.
Reply 3
Okay, thanks for the advice! I'm going to just do AS Chemistry along with my other A levels and try to apply to a university that accepts AS Chem :smile: My teachers suggested I do the same so I better had!

Cheers x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending